MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Would like to see the fight again (sober) but I had Jones wining 4 & 5 with the third being the one which could have gone either way.

Makes a change seeing Jones getting pressured like that and not being able to bully his oponent with his size advantage that he usually has.

Just watched the main event from Saturday night - holy shit, what a fight! Certainly in the top 10 I've ever seen. I personally scored it 48-47 for Jones, giving him 2, 4 and 5. 2 and 3 were very, very close however. There has to be an immediate rematch here IMO.

I thought 4 was close as well. Gusty gave Jones a fair beating for 4 minutes and 10 seconds of that round. I think it's unfair that it seems to be completely forgotten about.

I don't think it's been completely forgotten about, many people have said (elsewhere) that it was Gustafsson's round. Landing one big hit and a couple of half-decent follow-ups cannot undo an otherwise dominant round. He didn't even go down, ffs.

I do however think Jones being unanimously awarded that round has not been highlighted/discussed enough in the MMA media that I've seen since the fight. 48-47, 48-47, 47-48 in favour of Gustafsson is a much closer reflection of the fight than how the judges scored it.

Edited by banana

I don't think it's been completely forgotten about, many people have said (elsewhere) that it was Gustafsson's round. Landing one big hit and a couple of half-decent follow-ups cannot undo an otherwise dominant round. He didn't even go down, ffs.

I do however think Jones being unanimously awarded that round has not been highlighted/discussed enough in the MMA media that I've seen since the fight. 48-47, 48-47, 47-48 in favour of Gustafsson is a much closer reflection of the fight than how the judges scored it.

I don't think the 4th is the dominant Gustafsson round that people are making out. He did nothing for the for the first 60 seconds and little for the following 60 seconds, eating a good Jones head kick and left hand in that time. He was on top from 2 minutes in til the final 50 seconds yes, but he wasn't so far ahead that the big Jones elbow and a couple of decent follow up kness made him untouchable when scoring the round.

It wasn't a dominant round though. It was a close round which Gustafsson was edging until Jones almost stopped him. It was the closest either came to ending the fight at any time.

Jones saying that he has watched the fight and believes he won decisively. I wonder if he actually does think that or if he is trying to get out of a rematch.

Sounds like he's scrambling to cover for the deficiencies that he said he didn't have but that Gustafsson uncovered.

Three weeks until Cain v Dos III! :D

Jim Ross has indicated he'd love to be given the opportunity to do play by play for MMA now that his wrestling career has came to an end. He admits that the likes of UFC wouldn't view him as a particularly attractive option considering the connotations a former wrestling guy would have. That all said, Jim Ross calling UFC fights would be utterly sensational, and provided he had sound knowledge on the sport which I believe he has, then he'd easily fit right in and be the best around.

He'd make the most boring fights going utter spectacles. It's not as if Mike Goldberg knows the technical ins and outs of UFC in any case, he leaves that to Rogan, but WWE still tried to poach him.

Prime JR would have been awesome but he's not the same as he used to be. I like Goldy and think he does a very under appreciated job.

Joe Rogan is the boy and I won't hear a word against him. I quite liked Brian Stann though as a possible alternative.