Scottish Football Reconstruction

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were you expecting more then?

I was living more in hope than expectation to be sure but aye, I thought they might actually do something because it is so patently clear that something has to be done

There ye go, though, what do I know, clearly the half million fans who have walked away from the SPL in last 5 years or so is not in any way indicative that the league needs freshening up or changing, even a wee bit

I was living more in hope than expectation to be sure but aye, I thought they might actually do something because it is so patently clear that something has to be done

There ye go, though, what do I know, clearly the half million fans who have walked away from the SPL in last 5 years or so is not in any way indicative that the league needs freshening up or changing, even a wee bit

The idea that "half a million fans" have walked away from the SPL is misleading for three reasons:

1) A whole load of those fans are Rangers fans, who haven't actually left the Scottish game, and who would still be in the SPL if their club hadn't died.

2) There's a recession going on. People have less money than they did 5 years ago, when there wasn't a recession.

3) It's not half a million different people.

The reduction in crowds doesn't have to be down to the format of the league.

The idea that "half a million fans" have walked away from the SPL is misleading for three reasons:

1) A whole load of those fans are Rangers fans, who haven't actually left the Scottish game, and who would still be in the SPL if their club hadn't died.

2) There's a recession going on. People have less money than they did 5 years ago, when there wasn't a recession.

It's down to the package.

The half a million was up to the end of 2011/12 not 2012/13 so includes TCFKAR fans

The fact there is a recession should be a spur to freshen things up even more, not less

:1eye

As in point 2, whatever the reason there are half a mill fewer people *in total* coming through the turnstiles and so I would have thought that regardless of what that reason is it should be a trigger to freshen things up -there's very little can be done in the short term to address crap football, for example and price cutting could be dangerous, particularly if the decline in numbers is not directly attributable to the game being over-priced for example, but making the format more interesting should be fairly straightforward....you'd have thought.

The reduction of half a million fans btw removes about the same amount of money from the game as the SKY TV deal is worth

The half a million was up to the end of 2011/12 not 2012/13 so includes TCFKAR fans

The fact there is a recession should be a spur to freshen things up even more, not less

:1eye

As in point 2, whatever the reason there are half a mill fewer people *in total* coming through the turnstiles and so I would have thought that regardless of what that reason is it should be a trigger to freshen things up -there's very little can be done in the short term to address crap football, for example and price cutting could be dangerous, particularly if the decline in numbers is not directly attributable to the game being over-priced for example, but making the format more interesting should be fairly straightforward....you'd have thought.

The reduction of half a million fans btw removes about the same amount of money from the game as the SKY TV deal is worth

I'm quite sure this scenario was discussed on here years ago, probably in reply to HJ's posts about how this that and the next thing couldn't change because of the Sky cash, mibbee some of the numpties on here have a wee bit more foresight than the great and the good of Scottish football.

Who'd have guessed that the gate receipts were vital to football clubs, the clubs certainly never acted like they were vital.

SPL agree to single league body of 42 clubs, new distribution of cash and play offs.

So I believe. Good on the redistribution and single governing league body and the playoff is better than the 8-8-8 drivel and will hopefully revitalize the Div One pro-clubs.

Now, if we can just get championship playoffs we can revitalize Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, United & Kilmarnock

So I believe. Good on the redistribution and single governing league body and the playoff is better than the 8-8-8 drivel and will hopefully revitalize the Div One pro-clubs.

Now, if we can just get championship playoffs we can revitalize Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, United & Kilmarnock

Seems in the end to have been a lot of fuss over nothing. If we are to change the structure of the leagues in future, then do it properly in a reasonable time scale with consultation of all the clubs. Certainly not change half way thru the season as was proposed.

Seems in the end to have been a lot of fuss over nothing. If we are to change the structure of the leagues in future, then do it properly in a reasonable time scale with consultation of all the clubs. Certainly not change half way thru the season as was proposed.

Totally agree redlichtie. As I stated on another thread, what is the rush? Why does the SPL need Hamilton, Livingston et al? Les Gray is becoming nearly as obnoxious as Aberdeens finest! A tiny club with 700 gates and he threatened to leave The SFL? What a joke...........cheerio then Les

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SPL agree to single league body of 42 clubs, new distribution of cash and play offs.

With Messrs Regan (SFA), Doncaster (SPL) and Longmuir (SFL), doing rather nicely out of the merger, surprise, surprise?

It is believed that a single body will provisionally be named the Scottish Professional Football League and David Longmuir will receive a six figure compensation payment before vacating his Hampden post. Regan, who recently received an increase, taking his package to over £300,000 a year, will receive further bonuses for helping instigate the merger. Doncaster, who has had an increase to £200,000 a year in the face of falling profits, will also benefit further from being tasked to run the new expanded League body.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

His idea is insane, but the TV Deal for the Danish Superliga is something like £120 million. They patently did a far better job of things than the SPL.

No they didn't.

Every single game (198) will be broadcast live by IMG in Denmark (along with all the Danish Cup games included in the deal btw) as opposed to 60 in Scotland and a seperate deal for our cup games.

With Messrs Regan (SFA), Doncaster (SPL) and Longmuir (SFL), doing rather nicely out of the merger, surprise, surprise?

It is believed that a single body will provisionally be named the Scottish Professional Football League and David Longmuir will receive a six figure compensation payment before vacating his Hampden post. Regan, who recently received an increase, taking his package to over £300,000 a year, will receive further bonuses for helping instigate the merger. Doncaster, who has had an increase to £200,000 a year in the face of falling profits, will also benefit further from being tasked to run the new expanded League body.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

What's the alternative to this? Keep them all in their jobs and stick with the current system?

It would be excellent news if Longmuir loses his job. He is both incompetent and corrupt, as has been shown over the last year. Giving him a pay-off is better than him constantly leeching money out of the game over the next decade.

Doncaster is not good at his job, though he's certainly more competent than Longmuir. There is no sign of him losing his job even if the merger doesn't go through, so it's no surprise that he'll be in charge of the new set-up.

Regan's main task since taking over the SFA has been to implement reform, and even though he has made a lot of ridiculous decisions in his desperate attempts to push it through, it's no surprise that he'd get a bonus for achieving his goal.

What's the alternative to this? Keep them all in their jobs and stick with the current system?

It would be excellent news if Longmuir loses his job. He is both incompetent and corrupt, as has been shown over the last year. Giving him a pay-off is better than him constantly leeching money out of the game over the next decade.

Doncaster is not good at his job, though he's certainly more competent than Longmuir. There is no sign of him losing his job even if the merger doesn't go through, so it's no surprise that he'll be in charge of the new set-up.

Regan's main task since taking over the SFA has been to implement reform, and even though he has made a lot of ridiculous decisions in his desperate attempts to push it through, it's no surprise that he'd get a bonus for achieving his goal.

I would really have preferred all 3 to have been sacked for incompetence and people with Scottish football at heart to have been employed. These leeches have done nothing during their spell in charge as evidenced by Scottish clubs with the exception of Celtic failing miserably in Europe and the national side at the bottom of our qualifying group. See no improvement as long as they remain in the Scottish game.

Alternatives mate?

1) Sack two and retain one, particualry as there is only one league body.

2) Stop rewarding failure with rises and a bonus.

3) Sack all three and appoint someone with experience to implement root and branch change.

As for rewarding Regan for reform, he made a cnut of it and, in my opinion, desperation forced it through, not him. I would wager a goodly amount it would have happened anyway.

Archived