Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-32605027

Dissidents, no doubt.

They seem to be causing Sinn Fein a lot of aggravation, between throwing paint at McGuinness' house, burning the cars of two Sinn Fein councillors in Londonderry, sending a death threat to another Sinn Fein MLA and now this.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps because it's a UK election?

Why do people get in such a lather about the DUP saying stupid things - everyone knows they are bunch of backward looking religious freaks.

A bunch of freaks who also happen to be the largest political force in NI. Surely better to highlight their idiocy rather than ignore it?

They're not getting in a lather, they are just displaying their "right on" credentials and parading their self righteousness.

And the DUP are gradually loosening the apron strings with the FPs.

Aye, what they like expecting people not to face discrimination based on their sexuality.

Buckled lefties, eh?

A bunch of freaks who also happen to be the largest political force in NI. Surely better to highlight their idiocy rather than ignore it?

You are all too obviously highlighting it for tribal reasons to make the other lot look bad. The reality is that the constitutional issue still dominates, so most of the people voting DUP at this election won't believe the world is 6000 years old like Edwin Poots or take a Leviticus approach to discussing homsexuality like Iris Robinson. The influence of Free Presbyterians over NI politics is an unfortunate by-product of Ian Paisley having the voice that shouted the loudest back in the 70s. About the best that can be said is that a bunch of religious freaks being one of the two top dogs is probably better than having two sets of former terrorist murderers in charge. Hope the Alliance party win a couple of seats tomorrow but seriously doubt it will happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-32605027

Dissidents, no doubt.

They seem to be causing Sinn Fein a lot of aggravation, between throwing paint at McGuinness' house, burning the cars of two Sinn Fein councillors in Londonderry, sending a death threat to another Sinn Fein MLA and now this.

Aren't Sinn Fein the 'dissidents' ?

sherlockzk0.gif

According to the dissidents, yes.

But they're only dissidents because SF say so....

Yet by what was the reason behind them, the Provo's took the ££ and became dissidents.

That women from the alliance party came across as bit of a bellend IMO

No expert on NI politics but I can't see the point in SF continuing to abstain from taking seats at WM, serves no purpose at all.

The SDLP came across as decent, like SF believe in a United Ireland but more than a single policy party who are obsessed with it.

Shame they're associated with Labour though

Did my civic duty and went and voted - although it's pointless in my constituency, where they weigh the Sinn Fein vote rather than count it.

Roll on the council/assembly elections where you can vote for half a dozen or more!

The combined SF and SDLP vote is down right across NI. Things are not following the script of what the much hyped demographic shift is supposed to do to the electoral numbers.

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to explain that...

Meanwhile the rest of us have to get used to the end of our gerrymandered Orange statelet, which has returned more unionist MPs than the last time.

Sad times.

Can you lose a seat that you never actually accepted?

Given how likely it appeared that small parties MPs could actually matter the tradition of not actually taking up seats you've won must have looked particularly stupid this time round.

You obviously didn't hear Gerry Adams explaining what a great job these abstentionist MPs do behind the scenes, and making it sound like the system would be much better if nobody took up their seats.

Mind you I did hear him, and it sounded like a crock of shit to me.

I'm lumbered with one of these abstentionist MPs, who seemed more interested in getting his photo taken with an ex-terrorist and tweeting about Willie McCrae losing his seat.

You obviously didn't hear Gerry Adams explaining what a great job these abstentionist MPs do behind the scenes, and making it sound like the system would be much better if nobody took up their seats.

Mind you I did hear him, and it sounded like a crock of shit to me.

I'm lumbered with one of these abstentionist MPs, who seemed more interested in getting his photo taken with an ex-terrorist and tweeting about Willie McCrae losing his seat.

My good pal, who works in Glasgow three days every week and flies home for weekends, is equally happy, as he voted for the bold Willie's replacement.

I now have to face him over a few beers on Tuesday after telling him he was wasting his time/vote :unsure:

Archived