Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

My good pal, who works in Glasgow three days every week and flies home for weekends, is equally happy, as he voted for the bold Willie's replacement.

I now have to face him over a few beers on Tuesday after telling him he was wasting his time/vote :unsure:

And the moral of the story is - always vote!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often wished I had been a paint retailer in Belfast during the Troubles. Or milk bottles?

I often wished I had been a paint retailer in Belfast during the Troubles. Or milk bottles?

Most of that stuff was "donated" or "liberated". Or so I've been told.

And anyone arrested back then was always just a poor wee innocent on the way to the shops to get a loaf of bread/pint of milk for his sick mammy?

Despite the fact it was two in the monring in the middle of a full scale riot :thumsup2

nd anyone arrested back then was always just a poor wee innocent on the way to the shops to get a loaf of bread/pint of milk for his sick mammy?A

Despite the fact it was two in the monring in the middle of a full scale riot :thumsup2

They were always the victims of plastic bullets , incredible how no rioter was ever hit by a plastic bullet really.

They were always the victims of plastic bullets , incredible how no rioter was ever hit by a plastic bullet really.

Plastic bullets were pretty shite option imho.

Either use real ones or not , it was a get out "seen to be doing something" option.

Plastic bullets were pretty shite option imho.

Either use real ones or not , it was a get out "seen to be doing something" option.

Yep, if the police and army had fired real ones that would have calmed the situation down greatly.....

Yep, if the police and army had fired real ones that would have calmed the situation down greatly.....

If they had done early doors it may very well have, there would have been no need for the Provo's then.

What a remarkably naive take on things.

If the Brit army hadn't had to come in to protect the republican community from the violence/bigotry of the loyalists , and failed, the Provo's would not have happened.

Hardly 'naive', more ,factual'.

The biggest mistake made by the British government was disbanding the B Specials and not providing an effective replacement for it, because it completely undermined the security apparatus of the pre-72 Stormont state. That was then compounded by allowing paramilitary controlled no go areas to emerge in the ensuing chaos along with what basically amounted to ethnic cleansing campaigns in working class housing estates in the larger towns and cities to change what had often been mixed areas into today's hardline republican or loyalist ghettoes.

If the Brit army hadn't had to come in to protect the republican community from the violence/bigotry of the loyalists , and failed, the Provo's would not have happened.

Hardly 'naive', more ,factual'.

Only to a point - hence the naivety of your post which is swathed in republican myth.

Don't you think there were plenty of reciprocal incidents of bigotry and intimidation, such as the mass movement of Protestants/Unionists/Loyalists from Ardoyne, New Barnsley and plenty of other areas, including my 77 year-old grandfather who was burnt from his home?

The Provos were around, albeit in a embryonic state, long before the army arrived.

Incidentally, when I posted that I thought you were being naive, I did so in response to you positing real bullets as a solution to a complex problem. As Co Down Hibee quite rightlypointed out, it would hardly have calmed the situation.

Incidentally, when I posted that I thought you were being naive, I did so in response to you positing real bullets as a solution to a complex problem. As Co Down Hibee quite rightlypointed out, it would hardly have calmed the situation.

If the Army had come in all guns blazing, there would have been carnage, and the outrage would have been incalculable, and would still be going on.

It's allright saying 45 years after the event that real bullets should have been employed, it would have been a complete disaster.

I often thought that live bullets should have been used on petrol bombers, but I've since changed my mind - imagine the propaganda value of three or four 14 year old martyrs "murdered by Crown Forces while defending their area from a loyalist pogrom".

I still can't get my head around why in 2015 Sinn Fein abstain from sitting in the commons.

I understand they want a united Ireland and all that, but correct me if i'm wrong but haven't we had for a while now a political process in place to allow this to happen IF the people of NI want it? (and the ROI I would assume)

So for me, abstaining does nothing.

I still can't get my head around why in 2015 Sinn Fein abstain from sitting in the commons.

I understand they want a united Ireland and all that, but correct me if i'm wrong but haven't we had for a while now a political process in place to allow this to happen IF the people of NI want it? (and the ROI I would assume)

So for me, abstaining does nothing.

Mere posturing by SF

Archived