Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

Although, as far as I know, they collect their Westminster allowances.

Aye but they do a power of work behind the scenes, don't you know, meeting (British) Government ministers and getting International Treaties agreed. (Presumably these International Treaties involve the British Government, seeing as how the seats that SF don't take are in the UK, and I don't see why Sinn Fein would be getting International Treaties agreed between Denmark and Latvia for instance, that would hardly be of great benefit to their consituents.)

Or so Gerry Adams was at pains to point out on election night, and who could doubt the words of Honest Gerry? (Apart from Brendan MacFarlane and Dolours Price, but they were sick people, whose judgement was clouded by their illness.)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Army had come in all guns blazing, there would have been carnage, and the outrage would have been incalculable, and would still be going on.

It's allright saying 45 years after the event that real bullets should have been employed, it would have been a complete disaster.

I often thought that live bullets should have been used on petrol bombers, but I've since changed my mind - imagine the propaganda value of three or four 14 year old martyrs "murdered by Crown Forces while defending their area from a loyalist pogrom".

It's the god awful poetry and folk songs they would inspire that would be my main concern..... :unsure:

Guns blazing was not the way to go, but it shouldn't have taken three years for Operation Motorman to happen. Think a lot of Westminster politicians took all the Civil Rights stuff at face value and didn't grasp that people like Bernadette Devlin were not trying to reform the NI state they wanted to undermine and destroy it.

I don't think Westminster knew what to do once the troops had settled in.

3 years down the line was a bit late, I agree.

30 years of death and destruction later, NI's constitutional position within the UK is stronger than ever, despite the best efforts of British and IrIsh governments and republican and loyalist terrorists to weaken it.

It is now entirely up to the people of NI to decide, with no spurious "claim" from the RoI hanging over the unionists, and no "British as Finchley" from the government goading the re-unifiers.

He's not an IRA apologist he was IRA Chief of Staff, though he denies ever even being a member. He was definitely on the Army Council, a six man body that ran the PIRA, and was head of the IRA in I think West Belfast. Its likely that he personally approved that murder you reference, though that might have been slightly earlier.

Though he's totally right about this issue.

I must admit, I do find the funny the thought that at some point Northern Ireland takes a vote to become a united Ireland. Just so the Republic can turn around and say "nah, you're alright"

He's an IRA apologist and a paedophile protector.

Your Point 1. / meh. And that's a bad thing?

Your Point 2. / So were the ramk and file on both sides, whilst the so called neutrals , were probably doing the radio 1 stuff.

I must admit, I do find the funny the thought that at some point Northern Ireland takes a vote to become a united Ireland. Just so the Republic can turn around and say "nah, you're alright"

I would imagine in the unlikely scenario of a referendum in the North it would have to come about through an agreement with the Republic and the UK so the Republic would have already said yes......just some of the many reasons why it won't ever happen for a long long time.

Been swatching at the swamps praise on Lt Col JH Patterson, bit off , so it is.

1/2 & 1/2 oirish, who took the shilling early doors, he was mist famous for that bloke that the Val Kilmer film about man eater lions was about.

However, he was also a pre nazi nazi fecker, did a 'semi struth' and murdered his spouse's lover (and not murdered his lovers spouse) which got him out of one Army and not hung, and was soooo Zionist as to be almost American!

If you scroll along the Wall right to left , you will also see why he is so beloved by some, even although it was airbrushed out of his biography...

105pjs2.jpg

Utterly tragic they (both the Israelis and the 'some') hero worship this piece of poo.

Your Point 1. / meh. And that's a bad thing?

Your Point 2. / So were the ramk and file on both sides, whilst the so called neutrals , were probably doing the radio 1 stuff.

Now we're seeing more clearly where you're coming from..........

As for your second point, oh dear?

Now we're seeing more clearly where you're coming from..........

As for your second point, oh dear?

? Whit ?

Point 1 , I think is a very bad thing. I was asking someone else though...

Point 2 , was replying in a an equalising point scoring whataboutery way. paisley Sr was much loved, yet he covered it up.

Sorry, it seems I misread point one. I thought you were using ironic pathos to defend IRA apologists.

Point two, as you say, utter whataboutery, and unproven when it comes to big Ian, whereas old Gerry "Touchy our da" Adams? I wasn't particularly worried about the Paisley reference as I never particularly liked him, more the spurious allegation about the "rank and file on both sides", a sweeping generalisation if ever I heard one.

You didn't misread point one, you just didn't ask me to qualify it.

Point 2, that Paisley stuff was around for a couple of decades and was ignored. Tip of the iceberg, lol. Now that is ironic pathos.....

Archived