Sons' sorrow

I half expect nade and fleming to be rested on tuesday now, if theres any chance of them playing.

I'm still supportive of aitken. I think he tried to make a decent fist of a shite hand today.

I'm not get him to f**k. He lost us the Morton game as well as this one.

People can gloss over whats happening with silly wee records like still the best part time team in feb but

the safety margin is being erroded by the day and its not by the might of hibs and rangers,

it the teams around us, those we need to compete with.

Edited by sonsational

People can gloss over whats happening with silly wee records like still the best part time team in feb but

the safety margin is being erroded by the day and its not by the might of hibs and rangers,

You really need to calm down... I'm sure you are perfect at your job and never learn anything new or make any mistakes.

I'm not get him to f**k. He lost us the Morton game as well as this one. o

Too much sauce tonight aye?

I'm nowhere near the 'get him to f**k' camp... But it could be argued he lost us the game today.

He admitted he was going for a 0-0.

Leaving Darren Barr on the pitch for the full 90 minutes was just one of the indications he had no intention to ever win that game.

Whilst he had no recognised striker, his dealing of that was not good at all. Left Kirky isolated and pushed our tiny defensive mid up as a target man at times.

His loyalty to certain players is his major problem and could turn out to be costly.

We now have an alarming stat of only 2 sort of freakish goals from corners in the last seven games. And not really created many clear chances to improve on that.

To be honest I'm struggling over season to think of games where we have been on front foot.in the glory days of hibs and st mirren we were even on back foot most of game.

That been case will the 2 stevies find it difficult to adapt style of play to more forward thinking as squad has been set up to be defensive.too easy 2 say injuries to Fleming and nade have forced set up.

Remember prior to the latest 2 defeats we have reported to be on a good run!!

I think we are lucky both Livy and Alloa also struggle to pick up .

7 home games in last 12 still gives hope but I don't expect style of play to change much in that period

We now have an alarming stat of only 2 sort of freakish goals from corners in the last seven games. And not really created many clear chances to improve on that.

To be honest I'm struggling over season to think of games where we have been on front foot.in the glory days of hibs and st mirren we were even on back foot most of game.

That been case will the 2 stevies find it difficult to adapt style of play to more forward thinking as squad has been set up to be defensive.too easy 2 say injuries to Fleming and nade have forced set up.

Remember prior to the latest 2 defeats we have reported to be on a good run!!

I think we are lucky both Livy and Alloa also struggle to pick up .

7 home games in last 12 still gives hope but I don't expect style of play to change much in that period

Remember at the start of the season where we went 63 days without a goal from open play? That Garry Fleming goal is now 70 days ago.

Obviously we had the two cup games, but the last Sons player to score from open play other than Gaz in the league was Grant Gallagher against Alloa on the 1st week of December!

I half expect nade and fleming to be rested on tuesday now, if theres any chance of them playing.

I'm still supportive of aitken. I think he tried to make a decent fist of a shite hand today.

Up to a point. The Manager assembles the squad and in key areas, midfield creativity and goal threat especially, we have been found wanting all season. Against that we have an over-abundance of right-sided defensive players.

In other words, an unbalanced squad, and that bit us big time today. I'm also supportive of Aitken but I'm told he's had a bigger budget than any Sons Manager before him so we need to be fair about this - shite hands are partly of his own making.

Up to a point. The Manager assembles the squad and in key areas, midfield creativity and goal threat especially, we have been found wanting all season. Against that we have an over-abundance of right-sided defensive players.

In other words, an unbalanced squad, and that bit us big time today. I'm also supportive of Aitken but I'm told he's had a bigger budget than any Sons Manager before him so we need to be fair about this - shite hands are partly of his own making.

^^^ this.

If your average football fan like myself can spot the squad is horribly imbalanced then surely the professionals in the dugout can? I've been saying it for months.

We've lacked a creative spark since the start of the season, along with a goal scorer. It was blatantly obvious in January we needed more than 1 striker, McCallum clearly isn't good enough for this level and should have been punted out on loan with another coming in.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

Too much time on my hands digesting all the posts.

I'm now thinking squad is probably good enough but it's the way we play . In recent games teams I don't think have been better than us(Morton maybe only just) but it's all down to the way we play and approach games including the timing and nature of any substitutions.

This is all down to the 2 stevies and where they are struggling at this level.

What do they see in gall that we can't

What did they see in heh that they can't see now since he is not really quoted

Why did we set up for 0-0 yesterday

Why don't we trust the back 5 have one holding midfielder and push on with rest.

If doing that we lose 3-2 or get a 2-2 draw at least we would feel we've had a go at it

How many thought at about 4.15 yesterday realised we had the final score

Before the season most people predicted us to finish 9th. We are currently 8th. I'm happy with that

This ^^

Totally agree, if we finish 8th then it would be classed as a success, we're there the now so no need to panic. Granted we aren't playing good football but are grinding out the odd result. Livi and Alloa are unlikely to go on a winning run so hopefully we are ok. I would be worried if we finished 9th though as I wouldn't fancy our chances against a Peterhead or Ayr at the min. Scoring goals is an issue but tbf we were all delighted when Craig signed at start of the season....he was a disaster. Others have came and went such as brophy and the lesser spotted Ross. Now we have Nade who's injured! It's not as if the strikers haven't been there.

We weren't bad yesterday, we were bad at Morton. Gallagher does a lot of grafting, maybe not silky, Barr and routledge too defensive, Barr has to come out, players 4-4-2, with kirky beside jono, kirky was probably our striker yesterday, with Gallagher assisting, it was never a 4-6-0, or whatever, kirky delivered a few decent crosses into the box, unlucky not to score, and was strong against Webster, who went on to continually foul mccallum, but it's time to play, free flowing football, and get rid of this negative play, yes, we are safe at the moment, but that could quickly change. I can understand Aitken's thinking yesterday, and we should never have lost, a bit more positivity, we'd have one that. But hopefully our front men are back for Tuesday, if not, I'd play kirky in the middle, Gallagher and Cawley up front, and use heh against alloa and livi, to give him game time, he's not ready for big full time teams yet.

He had 2 strikers on the bench and chose to play with 6 defenders and 4 midfielders. Whether we played 1 or 2 of the midfielders up front is neither here nor there. He didn't want to win that game and showed far more respect to St Mirren than they were due. It's the business end of the season, time to show some baws and go for wins, especially against teams around you. Hugely disappointing 2 weeks we've had, yesterday more so than last week.

We weren't bad yesterday, we were bad at Morton. Gallagher does a lot of grafting, maybe not silky, Barr and routledge too defensive, Barr has to come out, players 4-4-2, with kirky beside jono, kirky was probably our striker yesterday, with Gallagher assisting, it was never a 4-6-0, or whatever, kirky delivered a few decent crosses into the box, unlucky not to score, and was strong against Webster, who went on to continually foul mccallum, but it's time to play, free flowing football, and get rid of this negative play, yes, we are safe at the moment, but that could quickly change. I can understand Aitken's thinking yesterday, and we should never have lost, a bit more positivity, we'd have one that. But hopefully our front men are back for Tuesday, if not, I'd play kirky in the middle, Gallagher and Cawley up front, and use heh against alloa and livi, to give him game time, he's not ready for big full time teams yet.

Out of interest what do you see in Gallagher that I don't? I'm trying not to be blinkered or deliberately to criticise him, but I have no clue what he brings to the team.

I'd play Buchanan upfront before him if Gaz and Nade are out. He won a few headers up top towards the end of the game yesterday, something that nobody else on the pitch was doing.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Cawley, heh, mccallum, all lightweight and flatter to deceive, easily pushed off the ball, I liked the taggart/Saunders combination on the right yesterday, especially first half, Gallagher does the dirty work, and I thought was fairly decent, helps defensively, which I presume he's told to do, but he needs to either be an attacking midfielder or a number 10 in the abscence of Fleming and nade. Either put Barr in for Buchanan or drop him, personally, I'd drop him