Sons' sorrow

Just watched the goals, looked like brown totally gave up on the 5th when he could have got it, wasn't that far from him and he's just sulked and accepted it was in. Second time (at least) that he has done this.

Two year deal he's on aswell, rotten.

Seems like he's a Goalkeeper version of Lee Mair.

Just watched the goals, looked like brown totally gave up on the 5th when he could have got it, wasn't that far from him and he's just sulked and accepted it was in. Second time (at least) that he has done this.

Two year deal he's on aswell, rotten.

Where abouts did you see them? I'll need to watch the first two again because there was a big post obscuring the goal for me! They looked like poor goalkeeping, but I'll see if I can stick up for him.

If Jaz isn't between the sticks on Saturday I'll be gutted and raging for him.

Edit: Just seen them on SSN on YouTube. I'll, ehm, disect them on the match thread tonight I think.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Well thats a wee bit unfair, I was just giving the management team a bit of time before "pishin ma frillies" it hasnt be great all season but i didn't say anything. Approaching the 3/4s stage I think I've seen enough now. The last few games have drove me to the drink.

I eagerly await your 3/4 stage review each season from now on. It's a shame it usually consists of "we're shite sack the manager". Constructive criticism has never been the Sons support strong point.

Not deflecting from s poor performance from brown but our overall defending wasn't great at the goals . Slow to react .

On the 90 mins I've actually seen us play worse . In between the goals and 67% possession we did show a little more promise

Yup, as daft as it may sound, I actually thought the performance was a big improvement on Saturday. At least we actually tried to attack at some stages. The only thing was Dundee were excellent - and played some fantastic football - which we couldn't deal with. I reckon (barring any refereeing...mistakes) they'll deal with Rangers nae bother in the next round.

Yup, as daft as it may sound, I actually thought the performance was a big improvement on Saturday. At least we actually tried to attack at some stages. The only thing was Dundee were excellent - and played some fantastic football - which we couldn't deal with. I reckon (barring any refereeing...mistakes) they'll deal with Rangers nae bother in the next round.

that was as bad as Morton, we deserved more on Saturday,and played fairly well, we were rotten. I think I've had enough of Aitken.

that was as bad as Morton, we deserved more on Saturday,and played fairly well, we were rotten. I think I've had enough of Aitken.

See I felt the opposite. Nade made a huge difference, and we actually threatened a few times going forward. Unlike the other games however we looked very shaky at the back, and I hate to go back to it, the 'keeper has to take some flack for that.

I thought last night we were up against a much, much better team, who comfortably disposed of us without breaking a sweat. The St Mirren game was hard to take, because we were up against a team who aren't any better than us and we never looked like threatening. The less said about the Morton game the better. It was as bad as we've been since the 0-5 Falkirk match.

I said it leaving the ground, but if we don't score - never mind win - in any of next three games, Aitken will be in a very difficult position, under as much pressure as any Sons manager in a few years.

0-2/9 available points I reckon would see a lot of fans publically turn against him. He's clearly got the players on side, and playing very much for him, but he looks to be tactically weak and has squad building has been completely unbalanced.

QOS game rearranged for the twelfth of April making our final run in look like this:

QOS

Raith

St Mirren

Alloa Ath

Potentially 4 massive games, I can see it coming right down to that Alloa match on the final day

Edit: Horrific formatting

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

See I felt the opposite. Nade made a huge difference, and we actually threatened a few times going forward. Unlike the other games however we looked very shaky at the back, and I hate to go back to it, the 'keeper has to take some flack for that.

I thought last night we were up against a much, much better team, who comfortably disposed of us without breaking a sweat. The St Mirren game was hard to take, because we were up against a team who aren't any better than us and we never looked like threatening. The less said about the Morton game the better. It was as bad as we've been since the 0-5 Falkirk match.

I said it leaving the ground, but if we don't score - never mind win - in any of next three games, Aitken will be in a very difficult position, under as much pressure as any Sons manager in a few years.

0-2/9 available points I reckon would see a lot of fans publically turn against him. He's clearly got the players on side, and playing very much for him, but he looks to be tactically weak and has squad building has been completely unbalanced.

Pretty good summation I'd say.

Doesn't look capable/interested* Some of his kicking tonight was woeful too, if he starts on Saturday v Hibs, something's wrong as he inspires no confidence. Dundee's opener was almost identical to St Mirren's goal last Saturday, Docherty missing-in-action again, so easy to get past him.

*delete as appropriate

No need to delete, both are appropriate.

He's a wage thief.

The last, most obvious non-attempt at saving a goal was in the Rangers hammering of us at the Rock. IIRC there was a big deflection from a free kick at the fifth (I think) goal and instead of at least trying to ssve it, no matter how impossible, he just watched it sail in and he just accepted that it was going in, rather than trying even a little.

I believe that Ewings would have at least threw a hand out to try and catch that one, no matter how impossible.

No need to delete, both are appropriate.

He's a wage thief.

The last, most obvious non-attempt at saving a goal was in the Rangers hammering of us at the Rock. IIRC there was a big deflection from a free kick at the fifth (I think) goal and instead of at least trying to ssve it, no matter how impossible, he just watched it sail in and he just accepted that it was going in, rather than trying even a little.

I believe that Ewings would have at least threw a hand out to try and catch that one, no matter how impossible.

As bad as Brown has been - and I have criticised a lot - the one vs Rangers is a bad example. He had absolutely no chance of getting it. Thought so at the time and again when I seen the replay.

Where abouts did you see them? I'll need to watch the first two again because there was a big post obscuring the goal for me! They looked like poor goalkeeping, but I'll see if I can stick up for him.

If Jaz isn't between the sticks on Saturday I'll be gutted and raging for him.

Edit: Just seen them on SSN on YouTube. I'll, ehm, disect them on the match thread tonight I think.

Right, here's my take on the goals:

1st - Firstly, from a defensive point of view, there is no way McGinn should be allowed to get into that position. But he does, his shot is alright, but it's a nice height for a 'keeper, unfortunately he's stood about a yard further to his right than he should. He leaves his near post exposed - the cardinal sin of goalkeeping - giving McGinn a decent amount of area to hit.

Should he have done better? Aye

2nd - Again, where were the defence? Were they trying to push out or something? Cracking ball in from Harkins, maybe he could be braver and try and get to the ball infront of Hemmings, but that would be perhaps overly harsh.

I'll let him off with that, the defence can take the stick.

3rd - Nice finish from Stewart, who should never have been allowed onto his left foot in that position. He actually scored the same goal against us a few times for Cowden.

Not blaming Brown for that one either.

4th - Wighton's shot is powerful, but is straight at him. One of the first things I was taught when I was playing was if you parry the ball, then always parry it wide thus narrowing the angle. I still do the same when I'm coaching now. He parries it straight out to Holt. Nice first time finish, but the initial shot needs to be put wide.

Sorry, Mark, but you can take the blame for that one.

5th - Decent hit from Stewart, although our wall was more current day Berlin than great of China. As soon as he lined it up I knew where he was going. It was in the corner, but it had little pace on it and he can't have been unsighted.

For an experienced 'keeper that should be saved.

Not sure what I know anyway, but that's my take on it.

Edit: Missed apostrophe

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

It is strange how at the start of the season aitken was seen as the messiah by most and definitely the 1st choice by many of us. Now a lot of people are calling for his head. Yes we aren't playing great but we are 8th and if we finish the season there then I'm sure he will go to the board and say job done! I didn't see the game last night but by all accounts it sounds like Dundee were excellent, we weren't gonna win midweek anyway, it's very difficult for part time teams to do so. Hibs on Saturday wil be difficult, hopefully the boys put up at least a fight and take some dig into the crucial games coming up

Can we not just accept that both our keepers have their downfall's and concentrate on the real problems such as where the f**k are we getting a goal from?

A wind assisted corner would be my guess.

In all seriousness surely we must be looking at the emergency loan market? The thing that's giving me the fear is the possibility that the budget was used up signing too many defenders.

Our squad is horribly unbalanced, and has been all season. We started with our hopes entirely pinned on Fleming and Craig, and Craig turned out to be a dud. Now we have Nadè who looks like a cracking player, but isn't a goalscorer and an out of form Gaz. Thus we become reliant on midfielders.

Routledge and Lindsay are our two best, and they have yet to hit the net. Gallagher has a couple of times, but has done little else and Kirkpatrick has been sat on the bench almost all year and isn't a goalscorer either.

Surely there must be some young striker out there who can hit 5 goals or so between now and May?! Failing that is there a youth player we could at least give a shot in the top team?

Can we not just accept that both our keepers have their downfall's and concentrate on the real problems such as where the f**k are we getting a goal from?

I'm hoping with a run of games that Fleming and Nade will form a good partnership. Neither are prolific but between them they should be able to contribute enough.

Kirky has had a couple of decent games in a position he doesn't normally play. If I was Stevie I'd be tempted to try him in his natural CAM position. This would mean sacrificing a defensive midfielder or a striker. Would it be such a bad thing to see us employ a CAM rather than say Routledge for the games against Livi and Alloa?

Edited to add: People are frustrated at Ewings been dropped for the ever hopeless Brown, myself included. Whilst the goalscoring is an issue I think folk are quite right to point out and discuss this honking blunder by Aitken, especially considering how well Ewings was playing. It's 100% costing us goals.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

Barr in midfield offers no creativity, nor is he effective at defending the area in front of the centre backs.

He really offers nothing apart from mistimed tackles and passes to the opposition.

Stevie clearly feels he needs to play him - but he does not deserve to replace the centre backs.

I hope Stevie is brave enough to drop him - I suspect, however, if he does move him from midfield it will be to centre back and not the bench.