Sons' sorrow

Very concerning. Think it would be ridiculous to punt Aitken out now but I do think the board should take action at the end of the season. These problems have been about since the second game of the season (East Fife in the cup) and all he's seemed to have managed to do is run up the wage bill. Don't want to sound too critical of him because I'm sure he's trying his hardest but it really does seem as the weeks go by he's out of his depth. Without a couple of great performances and 'lucky' results we would be in a whole lot more trouble than we already are.

I may be wrong but today looked like the players gave up not just on the game, but on the manager. Only reason I can think as to why they completely stopped playing for the last 35 minutes.

I would be delighted for the management team to put a run together until the end of the season and show they can continue to improve in this league but that's where I have a reservation about them, they can't seem to make any run of form stick and I am uncertain if this will change.

If we finished with more points last season with a half effective Ian Murray and a smaller budget (if rumours are true), could we be doing better? Difficult to say, but it is a results driven business and I'm sure the board have a minimum requirement of staying in the championship and by sounds of things have backed their man better than his predecessors to do so.

Edited by albundy

Our away form is the joint worst in the entire country. We've picked up 9 points away from home, the same as Dundee United and East Stirling.

That is simply nowhere near good enough, and if we are to slip into the playoffs, it will be the reason why.

I've covered it on the other thread, but today's performance was one of the worst in years. No fight, no shape, no quality, no commitment, no organisation and at the end it barely looked like anyone cared. 

^^^Seething

As someone else posted on the match thread, it would be interesting to know if there are any issues within the club right now, as yesterday's performance seems to have gone well beyond a straightforward horsing. 

Very concerning. Think it would be ridiculous to punt Aitken out now but I do think the board should take action at the end of the season. These problems have been about since the second game of the season (East Fife in the cup) and all he's seemed to have managed to do is run up the wage bill. Don't want to sound too critical of him because I'm sure he's trying his hardest but it really does seem as the weeks go by he's out of his depth. Without a couple of great performances and 'lucky' results we would be in a whole lot more trouble than we already are.

I may be wrong but today looked like the players gave up not just on the game, but on the manager. Only reason I can think as to why they completely stopped playing for the last 35 minutes.

On the one hand you say it may be ridiculous to 'punt Aitken' then 'the Board should take action at the end of the season'???

I'm confused to be honest. Anyway,

I've been to every Away match this Season, bar one or two, after Livi two weeks back I said, no more, the away performances are, and have been a travesty, reckon I've seen 3 maybe 4 goals scored by us in all those away matches.

Fucking abysmal stuff, especially when it's costing £40-50, travel,entry, beer, food etc.

One thing you are right about though, when East Fife & Queens Park can put you out a tournament, the (early) warning signs are definitely there.

Would the real Dumbarton please stand up, we must be vying with Aberdeen for the most inconsistent team in the country. Sometimes you get turned over, that happens but by the sounds of things today's performance was unacceptable.

Get the feeling that the knives might be out for the management in the comings weeks, our form has been patchy at best and we've not put any decent run together all season.

What price on Brown starting in goal for the Morton game regardless if Jezza was culpable or not today?

Jezza wasnt to blame, so its likely brown will be in next week since jaz is his scapegoat.

The team is full of deadwood. major clear out needed. Start with the manager at the end

of the season. There is no point punting him now, but I think its a mistake to let him take

the reigns again next season.

Edited by sonsational

Jekyll and hide performances are certainly something for manager to take some responsibility for.

Shape and set up of team was awful today and when first goal went in that was it really

Last batch of away performances have all been similar with only diff queens had pace and will to pick us off. We didn't create any more at st mitten Morton or Livy.

Interesting debate on bus re end of season awards. Whoever gets it ? It won't be clear cut and others will disagree. Very much a split vote me thinks .

Follow that with never mind the manager but what players will be there next year .

Hopefully 2 week break will recharge thoughts on how we approach the Morton game.

End of year awards.as said above difficult choices.

Haven't seen any nomination forms but here is a few pointers.

Gall, remember the Morton away and st mirren an 2 hibs games at start of season. We all thought he was the bees knees.

Fraser dodgy then a rock and dodgy again

Barr some hot and cold defensive and midfield performances. Who can forget mortns winner

Gas top scorer but no competition in that respect with some toothless forward displays

Jonno another who started well but now has decided to pick up suspensions

Saunders valuable goals v raith,Livy but anther who is off the boil

Buccy best defender in first half of season but lost a bit of confidence

Sparky created some good chances scores from corners but been hesitant at times

Has anyone else played enough to get on the nominatin form.or played well enough even in a few games

Let's get down in force v Morton to get our votes in .

I'm sure you will all have your own idea of the winner.

On the one hand you say it may be ridiculous to 'punt Aitken' then 'the Board should take action at the end of the season'???

I'm confused to be honest. Anyway,

I've been to every Away match this Season, bar one or two, after Livi two weeks back I said, no more, the away performances are, and have been a travesty, reckon I've seen 3 maybe 4 goals scored by us in all those away matches.

Fucking abysmal stuff, especially when it's costing £40-50, travel,entry, beer, food etc.

One thing you are right about though, when East Fife & Queens Park can put you out a tournament, the (early) warning signs are definitely there.

No point getting rid of the manager with 7 or 8 games left of the season.

It truly is a difficult one because if we stay up it has to be seen as a success even though a lot of Sons fans will be unhappy with this season excluding a few great results. The team has shown us on a handful of occasions that they are capable of performing in this league (Hibs x2, St Mirren x2, Falkirk, QOTS and Morton in the cup, a decent showing against Rangers at the start of the season) and that they are capable of finishing higher than 8th/9th.

Why do we perform well one week then churn out shit like yesterday? The problem must run deeper than the players just not turning up for games. Our away form is embarrassing.

End of year awards.as said above difficult choices.

Haven't seen any nomination forms but here is a few pointers.

Gall, remember the Morton away and st mirren an 2 hibs games at start of season. We all thought he was the bees knees.

Fraser dodgy then a rock and dodgy again

Barr some hot and cold defensive and midfield performances. Who can forget mortns winner

Gas top scorer but no competition in that respect with some toothless forward displays

Jonno another who started well but now has decided to pick up suspensions

Saunders valuable goals v raith,Livy but anther who is off the boil

Buccy best defender in first half of season but lost a bit of confidence

Sparky created some good chances scores from corners but been hesitant at times

Has anyone else played enough to get on the nominatin form.or played well enough even in a few games

Let's get down in force v Morton to get our votes in .

I'm sure you will all have your own idea of the winner.

Jamie Lindsay is our player of the year by some distance.

Jamie Lindsay is our player of the year by some distance.

Yup.

I was actually thinking about this on the way back yesterday. Last year we were poor, but there were still four players who stood out in that fairly dross team - Danny Rogers, Stuart Findlay, Andy Graham and Scott Agnew - any of them (perhaps minus Findlay who was only here for half a season to be fair) could've won POTY and nobody could have disagreed.

This season who could we nominate as a shortlist? Lindsay for both, but other than here's the best I could do.

Player of the Year

Jamie Lindsay

Mark Docherty (solid enough and unspectacular, can't fault his attitude)

Jon Routledge (Picks up too many bookings, but is excellent at that role)

Garry Fleming (still our top scorer, even if he hasn't been great. I suspect his fan popularity will see him winning it)

Young Player of the Year

Jamie Lindsay

Calum Waters (Young. Reasonable enough. Yup that's about it)

Donald McCallum (Young. Stunning debut before it all went downhill)

YPOTY is under 23 isn't it? Really struggling for nominations for that. Kler Heh is just the Myanmarian Stevie Ross. Tom Walsh has done very little, and Mikey 'Miley' Hopkins has only played 3 minutes.

Might just vote for Scott Brown for both for the #bantz.

As someone else posted on the match thread, it would be interesting to know if there are any issues within the club right now, as yesterday's performance seems to have gone well beyond a straightforward horsing. 

There seems to be an insinuation that there is... that's both yourself and TFF who have rhetorically questioned behind the scene issues when nothing has been mentioned to warrant a glance in that direction.

Anyone in the know care to spill the beans?

Don't disagree with what bbpf points out but I'm fairly sure opinions will be split as will the vote.

I don't think gall myself but was just highlighting after Morton away hibs home and st mirren away he was probably in the running .

Will ran interesting vote.

Very disappointing that the young player will have so few contenders . That's a bit of s concern

I don't think we will punt stevie at the end of the season. And while I might be in the minority here I think that is the correct decision. There has been enough positives this year to show he can build on the team for next season, if he can keep some of the better players and bring in some better squad players then we will be fine with the league weakening for next season. I do agree there has been some dross though and the manager must take some responsibility for that

Tend to agree with above but it will be interesting to see who we first of all decide to keep , manage to keep and what we can bring in.

I would like to see some young blood arriving .

Believe so far mark brown is only player contracted to next season .

I don't think we will punt stevie at the end of the season. And while I might be in the minority here I think that is the correct decision. There has been enough positives this year to show he can build on the team for next season, if he can keep some of the better players and bring in some better squad players then we will be fine with the league weakening for next season. I do agree there has been some dross though and the manager must take some responsibility for that

I'm not sure the league will be weakening a great deal to be honest. We could be looking at being the only part-time team involved.

Correct bbpf

My first thought at final whistle was that the players and management should have considered some kind of gesture towards the supporters bus .

We all paid decent money to go to Dumfries.

For me club should run 2 free buses to Alloa to cover those who made own way yesterday by way of an apology.

If we do stay up, I wouldn't be surprised if Stevie was retained, and yes the target would have been achieved, and we have had some cracking results, but our football for the most part has been dross. Stevie's tactics seem to be very negative, trying not to get beat, but we as the fans pay a lot of money over the course of the season to see entertaining football, and to put it in a nutshell, see goals, yet look at our away form, and goals for. I'd say that's reason for dismissal right there. As for the players, in their day, they can lift themselves, but not in enough games, and I'd imagine another rebuilding job will be done, with a few being retained. I'd feel sorry for Stevie if he lost his job now, and I doubt he will, but if there's any truth in the rumour that relations are strained in the dressing room between him and the players, then maybe he should go?

Edited by optimistic