Sons' sorrow

I'd like to think that talk of 'issues behind the scenes' or players not playing for Aitken and the likes is purely that, talk.

Presumably there's nothing to support these claims as yet?

On the subject of us being on the end of hidings... Yeah, we've had our arse handed to us 5-0 and 6-0 now on a few occasions this season, but I think it's poor to jump to the conclusion that all is not well behind the scenes or in the dressing room.

We're a club and a team punching well above our weight, and have been for seasons. We're going through a particularly tough time at the moment, but let's remember that we're still one of only two part time sides in this division, a division who's other eight clubs dwarf our budget considerably. So, I'd expect us to take a few hidings, and no, it's not nice, but it's not necessarily that there's anything 'wrong' other than players not being up to the level consistently and the difference in full-time and part-time taking its toll.

I'd agree with most of them, but Cawley and Routledge would be 'maybes' for me at the moment.

Cawley is too hot and cold and brushed off the ball too easily, and while Routledge does provide good protection to the back four, he picks up an awful lot of bookings (occupational hazard for a player of his style, I suppose) and he offers nothing going forward, and that's not a luxury we're able to have at this level.

I too wouldn't mind Ewings staying, but I'd like us to bring in another goalkeeper as No.1. Although that said, Brown is contracted for next year...

I'd like to see Cawley given a proper run in the team in his favoured position.  He, and a few others, have been victims of Stevie's formations/tactics for me.  I like Routledge a lot and I think he's the type of player that's essential for a part-time club in this league, our problem is we didn't sign anyone to play in front of him (well we did, but we play him on the right wing).  I think we might struggle to keep him anyway, with rumours of him already off to Morton.

I'd like to see Cawley given a proper run in the team in his favoured position. He, and a few others, have been victims of Stevie's formations/tactics for me. I like Routledge a lot and I think he's the type of player that's essential for a part-time club in this league, our problem is we didn't sign anyone to play in front of him (well we did, but we play him on the right wing). I think we might struggle to keep him anyway, with rumours of him already off to Morton.

Yeah, I can understand that.

I do like Routledge, he's a bit of the Chris Turner's but he just doesn't offer enough going forward for me. I'd like to think there's a better, yet similar option out there for us this summer.

I do like Cawley as well. He's obviously got ability, as he's shown in some games this season. But he too often is invisible and you don't realise he's playing until he's subbed, and again, for that reason, I wouldn't be rushing to retain him.

If Routledge does go or is going to Morton, then fine. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and if that's his step up, then I wouldn't try and stop him. I'd have thought he'd be looking for a bit of a more attractive option than Morton though, but hey, they're full-time like many others so that'll be the draw of moving across the river.

For any Sons fans who feel this is the 'worst' they've ever seen here's the team from the equivalent Saturday five years ago when we played Brechin

Dumbarton: Grindlay, Chisholm, Gordon, Nugent, McNiff, Gilhaney (Halsman 84), Creaney (Jordan White 56), McStay, Geggan, McShane, Walker (Campbell 74). Subs Not Used: Michael White, Nicky Devlin.

I doubt if many of those players would get in to the current team. And the score. . .Oh yes we lost 6 - 0!

For any Sons fans who feel this is the 'worst' they've ever seen here's the team from the equivalent Saturday five years ago when we played Brechin

Dumbarton: Grindlay, Chisholm, Gordon, Nugent, McNiff, Gilhaney (Halsman 84), Creaney (Jordan White 56), McStay, Geggan, McShane, Walker (Campbell 74). Subs Not Used: Michael White, Nicky Devlin.

I doubt if many of those players would get in to the current team. And the score. . .Oh yes we lost 6 - 0!

Has anybody claimed that this is the worst squad they've ever seen? They may well have and I've missed it, if so that's just silly chat.

If it's in reference to me claiming Campbell and Duggan are the worst striking partnership our club has seen in recent times I'd stand by that. I'd rather both McShane and Patch from that starting 11 to either of those two. We've even had better strikers in the third division.

Has anyone actually said that?

Jordan White would get into our team at the moment, as would Nicky Devlin fwiw.

When people say 'worst' they're probably referring to the fact that the lads chucked it on Saturday. Decent players completely submitted.

In that match at Brechin we were well beaten and the group of players were clearly inferior to today's group - but at least they worked to the end.

Edited by Consolidate

Can't it just be that we have a squad of inconsistent players? It's not a freak result, it's actually representative of our season. I just find it weird that these suggestions are thrown around without any evidence. These suggestions lead to assumptions or queries like you've mentioned above (re: money, tactics, "show us your medals") which again without evidence help absolutely no one. Playing the guessing game when nobody knows the game or what we're meant to be guessing.

We absolutely have a squad of inconsistent players.

The worrying thing from Saturday was how easily the players heads went down. We weren't in the game and at 2-nil we looked beaten. We looked devoid of confidence and even basic composure. There was no organisation. That's not an indication of any background strife but it is an indication that we're not mentally strong enough.

I hate seeing us set out to not lose a game. I'd rather we at least have a go and if we lose then we've gone down battling. I think the problem with this current team is that when we lose the first goal, other than that mental Raith game, we look like we're expecting to lose.

Aye when I said the second half was the worst 45 minutes I'd seen I was referring to the team absolutely chucking it. No effort whatsoever and it really makes you think what's the point in paying all that money just to see your team give up after an hour. We're going to be on the end of some hefty pumpings - that's part of the game - but to see the team you follow about the country pack it in for a good amount of the game it is quite disheartening. I do think we'll bounce back against Morton and I don't think we'll see a performance as poor as Saturday's in a long time (I hope anyway!)

Chizzy ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

I was only jesting regarding Chizzy...

I cannot believe he is only 30 :lol:

I know you were bbpf but this current team must learn that they can be replaced if not up to it and chissy may not have been best player in team but upfront or in defence he gave it his all I'd rather a team of chissys then some of the current squad the games I have made it too

Wasn't impressed with brown,Gallagher,Crawley,Barr or the lack of reinforcements on the bench

If I was atkiens I'd say to myself we need a twenty a season striker ok why hasn't anyone went for mcaulister we need also need a player who can control midfield geggan at Dunfermline would be a good fit but then again geggan might not be interested

I love my club but we need to cut the dead wood I was so embarrassed when I saw result at QOS something needs done

Geggan full time at dunf and Mcallister not interested in leaving Peterhead to travel anywhere in west.

I'm never a great one for accusing players of not trying but collectively heads seem to be down after half time including on park bickering at each other .

The ht changes and formation switch definitely had no impact which is of concern for stevies .

As is usual our squad will have numerous changes at end of season but let's get there first

Let's be clear, Ian Chisholm wasn't even good enough the first time round far less now.

Couldn't agree more. Can't actually believe what I read above. People need to get a grip and realise we are a smaller team in a big league. Yes, I agree that we haven't been performing as well as we should have and there are issues with our away form. But to be saying you would bring back Iain Chisolm is just ludicrous.

The McAllister things an unusual one. He is happy where he is. If he was offered another PT gig paying as much or more (I believe he earns a healthy wage at Peterhead), then maybe he would consider. But couldn't see him travelling all the way down to play with us on what wouldn't likely be a much improved wage.

Let's be clear, Ian Chisholm wasn't even good enough the first time round far less now.

How dare you?!

Sir Iain of Chisholm may well have been a shite fitba player, but he leathered Scott Chaplain twice and was a good laugh, so swings and roundabouts.