Sons' sorrow

That's just about the most romantic match critique I've ever read.

Hat's off to him.

*sobs*

That's pretty good by the way.  Find out if the guy is backing Bernie Sanders and I'll warm to him even more.

Really? I read it and thought it was patronising and ill informed. Dumbarton arent semi-pro, Queens certainly didnt expect to "roll the home team over" and the Dumbarton players are either "playing for a team they love" or journeymen depending on which paragraph you read. His exaggeration of the gap between Dumbarton and other clubs, particularly Queens, is frankly embarrassing and more than a little insulting to Dumbarton.

Really? I read it and thought it was patronising and ill informed. Dumbarton arent semi-pro, Queens certainly didnt expect to "roll the home team over" and the Dumbarton players are either "playing for a team they love" or journeymen depending on which paragraph you read. His exaggeration of the gap between Dumbarton and other clubs, particularly Queens, is frankly embarrassing and more than a little insulting to Dumbarton.

Semi-pro is part-time, no? Eg Garry Fleming's main occupation is not a footballer.

He definitely tried to romance it up a bit, but he's from the American news industry, what did you expect?!

I'd actually quite like to see us avoid 'Dumbartony' next season and opt for something completely different. Nowhereman should design us somethin fabulous IMO.

The home top has to be Dumbartony af mind you, white with bands etc etc.

I'm thinking something that will mean you won't even notice lime green or orange boots

Semi-pro is part-time, no? Eg Garry Fleming's main occupation is not a footballer.

He definitely tried to romance it up a bit, but he's from the American news industry, what did you expect?!

No, surely Dumbarton are a professional club with part time players. 

I'd expect it to be factual correct.

No, surely Dumbarton are a professional club with part time players. 

I'd expect it to be factual correct.

From the ever reliable Wikipedia

There are several hundred semi-professional football teams at non-League level. The bottom division of The Football League (the fourth tier of the English football league system) has traditionally been the cut-off point between professional ("full-time") and semi-professional ("part-time") in English football. However, many teams in the top non-Leaguecompetition, the National League have become "full-time" professional clubs in an effort to achieve League status.

Women's football in England is semi-professional at the top levels, as finances depend on promotion and relegation both of parent male teams and of the female teams themselves. Full professionalism for women is still in the planning stages; top female players often depend on other sources of income (such as coaching and physical training), and many attend university or college while playing.

In Scottish football, semi-professional teams compete at all levels below the Scottish Premiership, with most teams below the Scottish Championship being semi-professional.

Historically, English rugby league and rugby union have had one full-time professional division, with semi-professional divisions at the next level down. The second tier of union, theRFU Championship, became fully professional beginning with the 2009–10 season.

I'd say a club where all the players - and most off-field staff - are part-time is semi-pro, but I've no officially idea if that's correct.

Even if it's slightly incorrect I think it's pretty harmless. I certainly didn't find it patronising.

Any article about Dumbarton FC being published on a big news outlet such as the Huffington Post is a good thing IMO. I actually quite enjoyed it.

Regarding the semi-pro thing - it's quite common to see part-time clubs referred to as 'semi-pro'. Whether it's incorrect or not I don't know but even the likes of Football Manager used to refer to us as 'semi-pro'. It's certainly not something I'd be bashing the article for.

From the ever reliable Wikipedia

I'd say a club where all the players - and most off-field staff - are part-time is semi-pro, but I've no officially idea if that's correct.

Wikipedia, ok.

Even if it's slightly incorrect I think it's pretty harmless. I certainly didn't find it patronising.

Any article about Dumbarton FC being published on a big news outlet such as the Huffington Post is a good thing IMO. I actually quite enjoyed it.

Regarding the semi-pro thing - it's quite common to see part-time clubs referred to as 'semi-pro'. Whether it's incorrect or not I don't know but even the likes of Football Manager used to refer to us as 'semi-pro'. It's certainly not something I'd be bashing the article for.

Im genuinely surprised none of the Dumbarton fans found it patronising. 

Is it common though? FM is about as reliable a source as wikipedia where Scottish lower league football is concerned. Have you ever referred to your club as semi-pro, or seen anyone else in Scottish football do so?

Your second comment could be right, I suppose. If you're not bothered about how your club is portrayed.

I've no desire to be offended on your behalf though so I'll leave it there

Wikipedia, ok.

Im genuinely surprised none of the Dumbarton fans found it patronising. 

Is it common though? FM is about as reliable a source as wikipedia where Scottish lower league football is concerned. Have you ever referred to your club as semi-pro, or seen anyone else in Scottish football do so?

Your second comment could be right, I suppose. If you're not bothered about how your club is portrayed.

I've no desire to be offended on your behalf though so I'll leave it there

Hawl I update the Sons wikipedia and it's fully accurate! 

See the way I look at it, and trying to act impartial, is like this.

James is a guy who only moved to Scotland in January, his knowledge about lower league football in this country is going to be nowhere near our level. He's also writing for a website that will primarily be read by:

A) Americans

B) People with even less knowledge about Scottish football than him

Aye he's romanced it to the max', but he needs to do that for other folk to read it. It's given our wee club (and we are wee in the grand scheme of things), and Scottish football - without the OF - some decent, positive publicity.

He's captured the more human side of the club, and how much it means to people who are willing to invest hard-earned cash into it, and given our sponsors a wee bit of publicity. Something that rewards them for the fantastic backing they've given since they came on-board in the summer - they've sponsored a few supporters buses for example.

On the semi-pro thing, I'd always say we're part-time. But I guess that's technically the same thing, without getting too into legal meanings etc. Semi-Professional is defined officially as "receiving payment for an activity but not relying entirely on it for a living" and that's what our players do.

If you want a an article that I found patronising and borderline offensive, try this corker from Neil Cameron in the Evening Times this year.

Hawl I update the Sons wikipedia and it's fully accurate! 

See the way I look at it, and trying to act impartial, is like this.

James is a guy who only moved to Scotland in January, his knowledge about lower league football in this country is going to be nowhere near our level. He's also writing for a website that will primarily be read by:

A) Americans

B) People with even less knowledge about Scottish football than him

Aye he's romanced it to the max', but he needs to do that for other folk to read it. It's given our wee club (and we are wee in the grand scheme of things), and Scottish football - without the OF - some decent, positive publicity.

He's captured the more human side of the club, and how much it means to people who are willing to invest hard-earned cash into it, and given our sponsors a wee bit of publicity. Something that rewards them for the fantastic backing they've given since they came on-board in the summer - they've sponsored a few supporters buses for example.

On the semi-pro thing, I'd always say we're part-time. But I guess that's technically the same thing, without getting too into legal meanings etc. Semi-Professional is defined officially as "receiving payment for an activity but not relying entirely on it for a living" and that's what our players do.

If you want a an article that I found patronising and borderline offensive, try this corker from Neil Cameron in the Evening Times this year.

Just arriving in the country with no knowledge of something is hardly a defence though. If anything that should have meant more research to make sure it was accurate.

See, I dont see the way Dumbarton are being portrayed in the article particularly positive, apart from the local sponsorship part. There is nowhere near the difference in budgets or ability of players between Dumbarton and all but the top 4, and even then a push, of the league thats implied in the article. To me it belittles the club.

The ET article is bad! However, I dont see too much difference between the messages. Dumbarton being portrayed as "underdogs" against Queens (Queens FFS!) is just as patronising as the whole "Rangers need to be up for it against the diddies"

But, as I said, I've no desire to convince anyone to be offended. If the Sons fans can see the positives in the article I've no issue with that

There's no issue with referring to us as semi-pro. The only line that was a bit patronising and made it sound like pub football was

'This is football in it's purest form. 22 men hoping to out wit each other with a ball and passion.'

Technically the castle as it is, is 18th century with only the portcullis arch and a fragment of the white tower being older

It's a bit like denying the history of the place. It's been a castle for about 1700 years.

Dumbarton has had a football club since 1872 - Do we just identify it by the current stadium and team?

It's a bit like denying the history of the place. It's been a castle for about 1700 years.

Dumbarton has had a football club since 1872 - Do we just identify it by the current stadium and team?

Castles are supposed to be regarded in a historic context, I.e. what they were in their glory.

Unless you have a keen interest people do tend to identify football teams with their current context, e.g. who gave a shit about Leicester a few seasons ago. Northampton's rise from the ashes.

So looking at the fixtures, we'll probably need another point at least to ensure our safety.

Feasibly Livi could well beat Queens and Raith, meaning we need to get something from our remaining games.

Unfortunately St. Mirren are on a good run at the moment, but such if life with us being so poor, we need to target that as a game we need to win.

I believe this time can reasonably now be referred to as 'squeaky bum time'.

So looking at the fixtures, we'll probably need another point at least to ensure our safety.

Feasibly Livi could well beat Queens and Raith, meaning we need to get something from our remaining games.

Unfortunately St. Mirren are on a good run at the moment, but such if life with us being so poor, we need to target that as a game we need to win.

I believe this time can reasonably now be referred to as 'squeaky bum time'.

Given our goal difference, we don't want to end up on same points as Livi

Yeah, that's true.

I just mean that we'd need another point at least, should Livi win two of their remaining games.

We could avoid the twitchy arse time though if we step up next week at right the wrong of beating St. Mirren this time.

If Livingston win 2 of their remaining games then we need 2 points...

Anyone feeling down about yesterday's result should give this a wee read. Really puts into context what this club has achieved in the last few seasons.

http://www.tellhimhespele.com/the-mid-term-report-card-3/3/

Suppose you're right. We're still in a good position, and we're fortunate Nadè got injured now, rather than early on in his time with us.

If the rest of the team can't keep us away from 9th without him then we don't deserve to stay up.

I was trying to think of another team so reliant on one player, and the only one I could think of is Wales with Bale. Yes they have Ramsay (like we have Lindsay) and a few other decent players, but without him they lack that little bit of something special that wins games. That's the same with Nadè, without him we need a totally different gameplan, and demonstrated by the lack of goals in January, it's one which is nowhere near as effective.

FWIW I actually think we will finish 8th.