Sons' sorrow

Hard to equate the football of 1958 with today. In those days football boots were like clogs strips were thick and heavy, footballs soaked up the water and were much heavier than today's . In addition the pitch at boghead was usually a heavy rutted quagmire and players standards of fitness and training was much inferior. Also the standard of filming was usually not great with cameramen tending to linger on grinning men wearing bunnets .

Hard to equate the football of 1958 with today. In those days football boots were like clogs strips were thick and heavy, footballs soaked up the water and were much heavier than today's . In addition the pitch at boghead was usually a heavy rutted quagmire and players standards of fitness and training was much inferior. Also the standard of filming was usually not great with cameramen tending to linger on grinning men wearing bunnets .

Jumpers for goalposts, a lift over the turnstile and a clip round the ear and a mind how you go from the local bobby. Chips at a penny a bag and a bucket of herring down the quay for a tanner. The fitba' was, notwithstanding what you've said, not very good down Bogheid way.

Jumpers for goalposts, a lift over the turnstile and a clip round the ear and a mind how you go from the local bobby. Chips at a penny a bag and a bucket of herring down the quay for a tanner. The fitba' was, notwithstanding what you've said, not very good down Bogheid way.

Indeed, distance tends to lend enchantment, and it's hard to imagine a repeat today of the Hamilton versus Clyde fixture of 11th March 1950 when an area of the Douglas Park pitch was cordoned off around an unexploded bomb.

We have scored the least amount of goals away from home in the UK.... quite funny but really it's a fucking joke.

Get championship status secured and get this season to f**k.

But if we get championship status secured we will have done what we set out to do. If we stay up to you really think next year will bring exciting free flowing football. If anything next year will be even more difficult with Dunfermline replacing Alloa

If Dumbarton stay up next year in a league with 9 FT clubs (or even semi-pro Ayr or Peterhead), it would have to be up there with their greatest ever achievements (relatively speaking)

I've been expecting you to get relegated every year since the promotion, and I'm always happy to see my expectations defied. I'm pleased for Dumbarton, as long as fans like Thommo can resist the temptation to be spoiled by success and accept that playing in the second tier isn't Dumbarton's natural position - it's an over-achievement that won't last forever that should be enjoyed (if not milked) while it lasts. What goes up will always come down eventually.

If Dumbarton stay up next year in a league with 9 FT clubs (or even semi-pro Ayr or Peterhead), it would have to be up there with their greatest ever achievements (relatively speaking)

I've been expecting you to get relegated every year since the promotion, and I'm always happy to see my expectations defied. I'm pleased for Dumbarton, as long as fans like Thommo can resist the temptation to be spoiled by success and accept that playing in the second tier isn't Dumbarton's natural position - it's an over-achievement that won't last forever that should be enjoyed (if not milked) while it lasts. What goes up will always come down eventually.

Not being happy about scoring the least amount of goals in the entire UK is not being spoiled by success. It's being disappointed in an utterly horrendous statistic.

Everyone appreciates where we are but it doesn't mean we'll just accept shite when it comes our way. Our away form is an issue and has been all season, whether we are punching above our weight or not, people are perfectly within their rights to be disappointed by it.

Correct. Sons whilst in this league will never truly thrive, it'll always be a struggle, with finishing closer to the bottom than the top the norm. The season finishing fifth and getting to the Scottish Cup quarter final under Murray was in my eyes a fluke, a very enjoyable one, but not one I expect to see repeated anytime soon.

Not being happy about scoring the least amount of goals in the entire UK is not being spoiled by success. It's being disappointed in an utterly horrendous statistic.

Everyone appreciates where we are but it doesn't mean we'll just accept shite when it comes our way. Our away form is an issue and has been all season, whether we are punching above our weight or not, people are perfectly within their rights to be disappointed by it.

Lastly for now from me, before I let you Sons fans get back to discussing club affairs among yourselves: surely you have to accept that even for the best part-time team in the country, playing against full-time opposition you're going to score fewer goals! There's nothing horrendous about that.

Albion Rovers fans have had quite a similar experience this season: our club has just achieved its highest league finish in my lifetime, and have scored only 2 more goals this term than Dumbarton have. Maybe I'm a rare specimen, but while it's never nice to see your team play badly or waste chances, "disappointment" is the last word I'd use to describe our season!

Our objective may well yet be achieved (hopefully this afternoon) and I don't think anyone is claiming that staying up is a failure or disappointing, however some of the performances/tactics this season have been utter shitebag ones. As OKIII succinctly put it we look to strangle the life from every game in search of a point. 

Our most successful period in the Championship was when we played open football that was pleasing to watch with seasoned p/t players against in the main, full time clubs. Given we have proven we have the capacity to do this, I don't see why it is unreasonable for some fans to use this as a yardstick.

BTW.. what is the formula/algorithm for a club's natural position? Just asking..

Edited by albundy

I know there is lots to be discussed within this post but let's be honest... do 'natural positions' really exist? Why can't this be our natural position? I get that the other teams have more resourced etc. But, there are teams in the premiership who have much less resources than some of the teams in the championship.