Sons' sorrow

Ryan Donnelly on the list of available players on the PFA website http://pfascotland.co.uk/player-availability/forwards/

I saw him playing for Hurlford the other week. He was a substitute in a team featuring James Creaney and made no impact at all.

It's a shame that he's never managed to find that form from 2011/12 again, but his place is in the Juniors now.

I saw him playing for Hurlford the other week. He was a substitute in a team featuring James Creaney and made no impact at all.

It's a shame that he's never managed to find that form from 2011/12 again, but his place is in the Juniors now.

Indeed lol.

I had a senior moment I was thinking of Ryan Stevenson.............

Indeed lol.

I had a senior moment I was thinking of Ryan Stevenson.............

Ah right  :lol: I did think I'd gone back to the early pages of this thread when I saw that.

Pfft, Ryan, played for Ayr, young(ish) guy, all pretty much the same  ;)

Strong words from the manager. Not going to allow the club to be held to ransom and be used as a safety net by those trying to get full time contracts elsewhere.

Hopefully the club is equally as forceful when dealing with the decision makers of the League Cup shambles.

:lol:

Are they going to get the League "telt" then? Get over it, you're in the North. Someone had to be from the Glasgow and surrounding area. And they've minimised your travel as best they could and given you a home midweek and away Saturdays.

:lol:

Are they going to get the League "telt" then? Get over it, you're in the North. Someone had to be from the Glasgow and surrounding area. And they've minimised your travel as best they could and given you a home midweek and away Saturdays.

Watch yourself or Palmerston will end up on the boycott list as well.

Good stuff, I still think he'd benefit from some time away on loan, but his finishing and positioning are very decent.

Sounds like the kind of guy we could use. Send him our way and Young and Stark will make a superstar of him.

A loan move to Rovers, if we aren't going to use him ourselves, for the Donz would be ideal for all parties. Let him go somewhere like that until January and if he's making an impact then bring him back. Please don't let him sit on the bench for weeks on end giving him 10 minutes here or there. He needs to play games now to get any better. Glad we've kept him though. Delighted with Buchanan like everyone else. We'll see what happens with the others.

A loan move to Rovers, if we aren't going to use him ourselves, for the Donz would be ideal for all parties. Let him go somewhere like that until January and if he's making an impact then bring him back. Please don't let him sit on the bench for weeks on end giving him 10 minutes here or there. He needs to play games now to get any better. Glad we've kept him though. Delighted with Buchanan like everyone else. We'll see what happens with the others.

Yup, in full agreement with that.

His movement was good in the last game of the season, and a good finish as well. A loan spell would do him good and hopefully we could bring him back and reap the benefit of his game time at a lower level.

I'm not wholly in favour of loaning Donald out. If we don't want him in the squad we dhouldnt have signed him.

Loans usually end your career at sons.

Help needed has anyone who went on loan actually made a success when loan finished . I can't think of anyone .

I'm not wholly in favour of loaning Donald out. If we don't want him in the squad we dhouldnt have signed him.

Help needed has anyone who went on loan actually made a success when loan finished . I can't think of anyone .

Jamie Ewings

Stevie grindlay

So, we put him in loan, we pay his wages, he fails, we let him go?, I'd rather he got the run in the team he deserves, for his loyalty to the club, but bring in an experienced pro who can improve him more and more as the season progreses, he's already shown he can score at this level, I say play him

So, we put him in loan, we pay his wages, he fails, we let him go?, I'd rather he got the run in the team he deserves, for his loyalty to the club, but bring in an experienced pro who can improve him more and more as the season progreses, he's already shown he can score at this level, I say play him

I'd imagine if he went on loan his wages would be covered by the team he joins.

Cheers for help.

I just was thinking about all the recent players and very few have come back

Note both are Gk where sub appearances are very restricted .

I've heard stories that squad numbers are going to be reduced so may be all squad could be needed

That's an interesting point. We've done the discussion to death about the lack of players coming through our youth system, but maybe a lack of first team game time is the reason behind this failure. 

If McCallum had spent the first half of last season on loan at a club either in League 2 or the Super Premier then he would've came back a far better player than he currently is. As it is he spent that time sat on the bench, and scoring a few for our under 20s where he has already proved himself. A loan deal could be the perfect bridge between 1st team football and 20s, especially when he won't have learned much in the past few months.

Remember Kieran Brannan from years back? I didn't rate him, but he scored for fun in the U19s league (as it was at that point), and then looked woeful at top team level. It's a massive jump, and we should be doing everything we can to make that jump easier for Donald.

I see him as almost like Brian Graham when he went to the Shire on loan from Morton in 08/09. He was nowhere near strong enough for the 1st Division despite clearly having the ability, went out to League 2, banged them in and the rest is history.

If, come September, it becomes apparent that Donald's game time is being limited then do what Hamilton did with Brophy. He wasn't going to learn anything from another 3 months with their 20s team - which we no longer have - so they gave him to us, he did us a turn, returned to their first team and scored some crucial goals. 

Normally when we've shipped a player out on loan he's been an older lad (Kirkpatrick and Gordon Smith last season) who couldn't get in the first team and used it to run down his contract. A loan deal for Donald needn't be like that.

I'm not an expert or that but I think Barrie McKay has benefitted a bit from his loan spells at Morton then us :lol:

Loans do help a lot to get players first team football etc.

Instead of bringing them on last five mins every week, they play weekly, 70-75 mins

Edited by Rovers1992/1993

I'm not an expert or that but I think Barrie McKay has benefitted a bit from his loan spells at Morton then us :lol:

Loans do help a lot to get players first team football etc.

Instead of bringing them on last five mins every week, they play weekly, 70-75 mins

I'm presuming the original post you quoted was specific to Dumbarton, rather than players who make successes after going on-loan in general.