Sons' sorrow

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Here's the thing, and I genuinely have no idea what would happen here, but what if thw tribunal values him at (just a complete guess) 5k, and we can't pay that? Certainly not in one whack for a player we're almost certainly going to lose next season for free.

Where does that leave him? Registered to us but unable to play?

Well the latter situation is impossible. He's either registered to you or he isn't. Unless the investigation actually cancels his registration as invalid (in which case presumably he'll be a free agent again and back where he was before and Dumbarton would be fined) then he's your player. You've already registered him and indeed played him. Given that he's a registered amateur I'm not convinced they could order a fee to be paid, all they can do is rule on whether the registration is valid or not. However, if they could order a fee, or if there is a fine, and you can't or won't pay it they'll just deduct it from whatever your next monies due from either the SPFL or SFA are.

9 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

There's always the chance that a tribunal could rate him much higher. It happened when some faceless jobber left Falkirk for some English lower league non-entity. The English side ended up having to pay something like £125k.

Seems to me, that the already piss thin Sons squad will need another new striker...

No there isn't. The rules on cross border tribunals are VERY different and depend on the ranking of the signing club and their national association. The Mark Stewart case went through various appeals right up to FIFA level. The rules on domestic tribunals are pretty clear as to what can and cannot be taken into account even if the actual outcome is pretty grey and not based on a particular formula.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No there isn't. The rules on cross border tribunals are VERY different and depend on the ranking of the signing club and their national association. The Mark Stewart case went through various appeals right up to FIFA level. The rules on domestic tribunals are pretty clear as to what can and cannot be taken into account even if the actual outcome is pretty grey and not based on a particular formula.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers SD, didn't think of deducting the prize money.

Obviously we don't know the detailed ins and outs of this case, but surely it's the same/ very similar to the Jonathan Tiffoney (and Scott Fox I think was mentioned as well a few pages back) situations from a few years back, no?

In which case I doubt the SPFL (who granted weren't the governing body at that time) can rule any differently. Or at least that's what my untrained eye (and DFC sympathies) are making me think.

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Obviously we don't know the detailed ins and outs of this case, but surely it's the same/ very similar to the Jonathan Tiffoney (and Scott Fox I think was mentioned as well a few pages back) situations from a few years back, no?

In which case I doubt the SPFL (who granted weren't the governing body at that time) can rule any differently. Or at least that's what my untrained eye (and DFC sympathies) are making me think.

Clearly none of us knows the detail. It does sound very similar to the Tiffoney situation though. Fox was slightly different but I guess the same in principle.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Heard the Tiffoney thing mentioned a few times. What happened there?

The Queen of the South fans presumably sleuthed out a contract issue with him and then posted loads on the Ayr thread I'd guess.

49 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Heard the Tiffoney thing mentioned a few times. What happened there?

He left Ayr, Dundee wanted to sign him but wouldn't pay any compensation fee and he ended up signing for Limerick. IIRC Limerick weren't due any compensation as Ayr had missed the date for offering him a new contract (which was different to the date for domestic transfers, which we also missed but were later given dispensation due to being involved in the play-offs). Anyway, within a couple of months he signed for Alloa as an amateur.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/league1/4759886/Jons-tiff-with-Ayr-so-costly.html

I don't actually recall how it was resolved.

3 minutes ago, Kitty_Boy said:

He left Ayr, Dundee wanted to sign him but wouldn't pay any compensation fee and he ended up signing for Limerick. IIRC Limerick weren't due any compensation as Ayr had missed the date for offering him a new contract (which was different to the date for domestic transfers, which we also missed but were later given dispensation due to being involved in the play-offs). Anyway, within a couple of months he signed for Alloa as an amateur.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/league1/4759886/Jons-tiff-with-Ayr-so-costly.html

I don't actually recall how it was resolved.

That headline is truly a work of art.

Is it morally right for Jim Chapman to be a coach at Edusport Academy and manager at Annan? Would that creat an issue if they were to face each other in the Scottish Cup?

Did Annan pay a fee/compo to Edusport for the 3 French signings?

Seems like a conflict of interests to me.

Just off the phone to Atticus Finch. He says Dumbarton have done nothing wrong. He says that post Bosman the rights of the individual are more important than the rights of those trying to manipulate him.If the player wants to progress he should be able to pick the team that he wants to play. As far as I know serfdom has been abolished in this country.Anybody on this site who wished to leave their job for a better one would be outraged if their company refused to let him go. Why should footballers be any different. Power to the people. Free the Annan one.

In an ideal world teams would develop youngsters and would be properly rewarded for their efforts. In that same ideal world we'd have better distribution of revenue and clubs would be getting bumper crowds of local fans. And I'd be sat tonight with Scarlett Johansson instead of the folk I normally sit with at games, with Margot Robbie fetching my half time pie whilst wearing her Harley Quinn outfit.

The world is an unjust place.

The only responsibility Dumbarton FC has is to it's fans. That responsibility means assembling the best squad possible on an affordable budget in order to have the best tilt we can at staying in the division for another season. Annan, and some Queen of the South fans, feel unhappy about what we've done with Josh Todd? With the best will in the world, my only concern is that Dumbarton have stuck by the rules. If we have, and the player delivers for us then thats fine by me. It's selfish, but I doubt many fans would be shedding tears if we lost a player we thought we'd get compo for. 

In an ideal world teams would develop youngsters and would be properly rewarded for their efforts. In that same ideal world we'd have better distribution of revenue and clubs would be getting bumper crowds of local fans. And I'd be sat tonight with Scarlett Johansson instead of the folk I normally sit with at games, with Margot Robbie fetching my half time pie whilst wearing her Harley Quinn outfit.

The world is an unjust place.

The only responsibility Dumbarton FC has is to it's fans. That responsibility means assembling the best squad possible on an affordable budget in order to have the best tilt we can at staying in the division for another season. Annan, and some Queen of the South fans, feel unhappy about what we've done with Josh Todd? With the best will in the world, my only concern is that Dumbarton have stuck by the rules. If we have, and the player delivers for us then thats fine by me. It's selfish, but I doubt many fans would be shedding tears if we lost a player we thought we'd get compo for. 

This

Enlighten me as to who we owe any responsibility to Monkey Tennis.

Why should we have some obligation to pay Annan compensation? The player never started his career at Annan. They're a part time team. He's moved to another part time team. We're not talking about Chapman having unearthed the next big thing in Scottish football.

If he was good enough to have gone to a full time team, Queen of the South for example, and your club could sign him without paying compensation because the rules allowed it, I doubt whether or not you'd be offering to have a whip round amongst your fans to cover the cost of any money Annan missed out on.

1 hour ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Just off the phone to Atticus Finch. He says Dumbarton have done nothing wrong. He says that post Bosman the rights of the individual are more important than the rights of those trying to manipulate him.If the player wants to progress he should be able to pick the team that he wants to play. As far as I know serfdom has been abolished in this country.Anybody on this site who wished to leave their job for a better one would be outraged if their company refused to let him go. Why should footballers be any different. Power to the people. Free the Annan one.

I phoned him too.

He told me "There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son."  

He didn't seem at all happy with Dumbarton's antics.

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Enlighten me as to who we owe any responsibility to Monkey Tennis.

Why should we have some obligation to pay Annan compensation? The player never started his career at Annan. They're a part time team. He's moved to another part time team. We're not talking about Chapman having unearthed the next big thing in Scottish football.

If he was good enough to have gone to a full time team, Queen of the South for example, and your club could sign him without paying compensation because the rules allowed it, I doubt whether or not you'd be offering to have a whip round amongst your fans to cover the cost of any money Annan missed out on.

Had he joined us on such terms, I'd have no plans for a whip round.  I'd have questions though and if I felt that we'd behaved in a way that wasn't quite right, I'd say so.  I'm forever criticising Queens. 

Maybe it's because I recognise that each club has a responsibility to the wider game.  That's the only subject my earlier post addressed.