Sons' sorrow

You also have to wonder who would or could be attracted to Sons at the moment. You can forget somebody who is doing well in the lower leagues as it surely wouldn't be an attractive proposition for advancement. It really would have to be someone out of work with a point to prove. If only I could think of someone....[emoji848]

d4e2d8b820a34e179042069221a6b12b.jpg

It's up to Stevie to ensure we have an adequate enough squad to cover injuries. We have a 3rd choice goalkeeper receiving a good wage to sit in the stand drinking bovril, Stevo (our marquee signing) receiving what is believed to be an eye watering wage to sit on the bench/contribute ziltch. Guys like Stirling and Thommo wont come all that cheap and both are contributing very little.

Had the Brown situation been handled better that could be us + 1 outfield player. Had we not taken a risk on a pretender like Stevo we probably could've signed 2 outfield players. Wright is practically 40 and can barely run nevermind play regularly. You get my point.

His budget isn't that small that we should have 1 useable sub, despite the 4 unavailable players. He should be ensuring we're better equiped, he signs the players and chooses how to spend his budget.

Absolutely.

Stevie has made the signings, Stevie has spent the budget, and he's (by several accounts) paying folk like Brown and Stevenson handsomely to do the square root of absolutely nothing.

I'm yet to see what Ryan Stevenson brings to us other than strut about. His deliveries are woeful, I can't recall seeing him break sweat and his shot from the free-kick yesterday sums up his contributions, certainly of late.

It's very troublesome that when Thomson came on, eventually, that was it for changes that would change the game.

It might be nice to have more than once substitution that could change the game if the first one doesn't have the desired impact. But after Thomson, who else would we bring on and be confident of them having an effect on the game.

What I would say is that in addition to the seeming lack of direction, lack of tactical prowess and lack of inspiration, which is all down to the two Stevie's, the players yesterday need to have a look at themselves. None really bar Martin put in any sort of acceptable performance and you really have to ask why.

Did anyone have the pitch in the post match cliche bingo?

It obviously prevented us playing our usual brand of free-flowing attacking football.

Presumably even Aitken can't blame the pitch, can he?

It was no billiard table but show me a pitch that is in Scotland at this time of year and I'll be impressed.

It was in very good condition and praise and congratulations can only go to the Bonnyrigg fans, staff and everyone involved there not only for the result they got, but the condition of the pitch and getting the game on in the first place.

Presumably even Aitken can't blame the pitch, can he?

It was no billiard table but show me a pitch that is in Scotland at this time of year and I'll be impressed.

It was in very good condition and praise and congratulations can only go to the Bonnyrigg fans, staff and everyone involved there not only for the result they got, but the condition of the pitch and getting the game on in the first place.

Yes he can. Injuries and the pitch. An unusual if not unexpected duo.
583adbfd341f0_ImageUploadedByPieBovril14

I notice he doesn't say why it was a 'tough pitch to play on'. Has he just selected that excuse from his bank of stock excuses for defeats?

We were all close to the park and from where I was I certainly can't see why it would be a 'tough pitch to play on'.

And yes, injuries do play a part in the strength of any side, whether it's Dumbarton, Barcelona or anyone in between. But Stevie assembled this squad and must've been content enough to go with that number. Otherwise he'd have assembled it differently.

He's made this squad, and he had the summer to do it. He's made the choices who to release and who to bring in, so he's got to live by that.

By all accounts Stevenson is on a hefty wage, and I'm just mentioning him as an example. I don't who what that would be or the figures, but I'm suspecting it might be enough to bring in two or maybe three 'lesser' players? Although I don't think there's a player out there that can contribute less than Stevenson at the moment, but that's by the by.

So to that end, he can't then bemoan a lack of numbers and let's be straight here, we only had four injuries yesterday as far as I know, and a squad even slightly bigger wouldn't have been affected as adversely as we apparently are by that.

We had what? 5 players out yesterday? Not ideal, but hardly 'crippling' in a normal scenario. It only becomes crippling when you have a utterly threadbare squad, no ones fault but the gaffers.

I've been saying it since pre season that we need numbers to make it through the season. Whilst signing 'quality' over quantity is a nice theory, the number of players in a squad can be just as important IMO. Especially when we have no reserve team to fall back on should we need to.

The main problem we have is that we have neither quality or quantity.

We currently have a perfect storm at DFC; a threadbare but unbalanced squad, some of whom are on exorbitant deals compared to team mates - never a harmony-inducing situation in any workplace; a Manager whose public utterances smack of complete denial and who is struggling tactically and seemingly lacks the ability to motivate his squad, with many of them looking distinctly unhappy at their work; a Board of Directors who it would appear allowed said Manager to overspend on several fronts, and who now preside over a precarious balance sheet; crowds plummeting by the week as only the diehards can stomach the grim negativity on display, and last but not least, club owners who seem blissfully ignorant of all of the above as they chase moonbeams along the Renton Road. 

On the Bonnyrigg Cup-tie thread I've already suggested an immediate course of action to try and salvage this season.  But hey, when did folk in football clubs ever listen to supporters :rolleyes: ?