Sons' sorrow

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

What was the last Dumbarton team you watched? I'll happily compare them with this current crop to give you an idea of what it's like to watch.

watched week in week out we're talking tam carson days but i did go a good few times under murray and the division 2 promotion year when dargo and prunty were up top

:lol:

Anyone else taking an absolute pounding in work?

I've been lucky so far.

Most of the guys are being hugely sympathetic towards me, some of them have shocked me with their warmth[emoji38]
I work with a few guys who are involved in the game at a good level and they have been my agony aunts. They are astounded at the result.

Whilst I know we enjoy wallowing in how shite we are, can we not go overboard?  I know, it was a terrible result, the worst in our history in my opinion but lets be honest - the standard of the Championship isn't great this year and anyone in that bottom half could conceivably go down.  Of course, a lot depends on whether Stevie stays or not, but there is no doubt in my mind that safety is achievable this year.  We sit 8th despite how shite we've been and we can absolutely stay there.  I am not writing this season off yet, nor do I want relegation in the hope we'll "win some games".  We can stay up and we all need to concentrate on that now, what's done is done. Our goal difference is the best in the bottom 4 and only one goal worse off than QoS who are in freefall at the moment and we less goals conceded than anyone in the bottom half.  We don't have a terrible squad in my opinion, we have a better squad than the one Murray inherited from Adamson, if we can get them organised properly we will pick up more points, of that I have no doubt. 

Aye things are shite, Sons fans, but that shite might turn into fertiliser if we play things correctly.

Whilst I know we enjoy wallowing in how shite we are, can we not go overboard?  I know, it was a terrible result, the worst in our history in my opinion but lets be honest - the standard of the Championship isn't great this year and anyone in that bottom half could conceivably go down.  Of course, a lot depends on whether Stevie stays or not, but there is no doubt in my mind that safety is achievable this year.  We sit 8th despite how shite we've been and we can absolutely stay there.  I am not writing this season off yet, nor do I want relegation in the hope we'll "win some games".  We can stay up and we all need to concentrate on that now, what's done is done. Our goal difference is the best in the bottom 4 and only one goal worse off than QoS who are in freefall at the moment and we less goals conceded than anyone in the bottom half.  We don't have a terrible squad in my opinion, we have a better squad than the one Murray inherited from Adamson, if we can get them organised properly we will pick up more points, of that I have no doubt. 

Aye things are shite, Sons fans, but that shite might turn into fertiliser if we play things correctly.

I agree.

We have some individuals there who are more than good enough to keep us up.

Personally, I'd like to see someone else in charge of those individuals but if he stays, he stays.

One thing I don't like too much is a lot of the social media stuff and Stevie being tagged in direct tweets etc etc. I understand it at the game when emotions are running high and passion is ruling your head but lets not hound him on social media. He will be hurting as much as we are over this.

If he stays we have to support him.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I agree.

We have some individuals there who are more than good enough to keep us up.

Personally, I'd like to see someone else in charge of those individuals but if he stays, he stays.

One thing I don't like too much is a lot of the social media stuff and Stevie being tagged in direct tweets etc etc. I understand it at the game when emotions are running high and passion is ruling your head but lets not hound him on social media. He will be hurting as much as we are over this.

Absolutely. I don't see any need for tweeting Stevie directly and asking him to resign from his job. It's a personal twitter account, it's not affiliated with the club and I feel a bit uneasy about hordes of our fans directly hounding him on there. He's not an evil wee guy who actively tried to put us out of the cup last night, shit happened and he's taking responsibility for it.  Let him and the board discuss things and see what the outcome is.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Of course but it feels too far gone now in the sense that even if we were to start picking up points and produced improved performances, the fans will pounce at the first hint of things going wrong. It's similar to when Paul Martin was in charge.

For what its worth, I hope he walks before the weekend. It would be the best outcome for everyone.

1 minute ago, Consolidate said:

Of course but it feels too far gone now in the sense that even if we were to start picking up points and produced improved performances, the fans will pounce at the first hint of things going wrong. It's similar to when Paul Martin was in charge.

For what its worth, I hope he walks before the weekend. It would be the best outcome for everyone.

I completely agree. His position is untenable now as far as I'm concerned. Now I'm not a shouter type, and I certainly didn't shout anything at full-time yesterday (nor would I tweet Stevie) but I wandered down the front to observe the reaction he received. I remember Martin getting plenty of stick, albeit not well because I was much younger and was just raging that we had lost, I remember Chapman getting plenty of stick but I've never seen a manager with so little support from the fans.

His post-match interview at the weekend didn't help things. He appeared very critical of the fans who had been criticising the team recently. Doing that before one of the worst results in the club's history was a very, very bad idea. It's not like we didn't have good reason to be disgruntled.

That means that in the past 5 days he's criticised the fans and anyone doubting him/being negative, defended the players and then hammered the players. The big thing missing from that is himself. He never seems to blame himself. It's always someone else's fault.

He literally has the wee 'Aitken's Army' group and that's it. They'd support him even if he became Jim Fallon and had us 9th in the Lowland League I reckon.

If he stays it'll sap what's left of my enthusiasm for this season. I'll be at Easter Road on Saturday because I've pre-planned it. I'll be at Ayr in December because I've got mates who are Ayr fans, but aside from that it's a struggle to bother with many more away games.

I'm reminded of a comment SA made at last year's POTY Dance when he said that 'many people had advised him not to go near Dumbarton'.  Now if that was true, and I've no reason to doubt it, then that rather hints at the way the club as opposed to the team is perceived in football circles.

So, again, if that were also true, should that not be a concern for us all ?  Is it an indicator of how DFC is being run ?  Are all the problems in the dressing room and on the park ? And why do I get the feeling that the next Board meeting will be concerned with the Bonnyrigg fan who ran across the pitch after they scored rather than a playing squad which is completely shot thro in numbers, confidence and morale ? 

I'm reminded of a comment SA made at last year's POTY Dance when he said that 'many people had advised him not to go near Dumbarton'.  Now if that was true, and I've no reason to doubt it, then that rather hints at the way the club as opposed to the team is perceived in football circles.

So, again, if that were also true, should that not be a concern for us all ?  Is it an indicator of how DFC is being run ?  Are all the problems in the dressing room and on the park ? And why do I get the feeling that the next Board meeting will be concerned with the Bonnyrigg fan who ran across the pitch after they scored rather than a playing squad which is completely shot thro in numbers, confidence and morale ? 

Didn't he say that in relation to the fact people felt he couldn't take us further and the only way is down? I'm not sure he was hinting at the club being badly regarded in footballing circles.

6 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I think you're looking too much into that, but I could be wrong. I always taken those comments in respect of his career i.e. taking the Dumbarton job could easily see you at the same level you are at with Stranraer at the time and could stunt any progress towards a full time move.

I'm not saying we don't have problems at board level, we clearly do but I'm not sure it's so bad that nobody wants to come near us.

It should be pointed out that if Stevie is to leave, then it really has to happen asap. That would give a new gaffer time to assess the squad before making moves in January. There's no point in hanging off until the middle of January by which point it's too late for anyone new to come in and make changes.

Personally, I believe he will stay. I'd rather he left and I'd rather we done that just now but I have a feeling the Chairman will want him to stay. At the end of the day it's his decision and I'm not convinced he will make the correct one.

The board now have to do one of two things. They won't, but they should. Either:

Come to a settlement with Stevie and get rid of him

Give him their full backing and allow him to spend a reasonable amount to get some players in (and out) in January.

After the disaster of a summer window I wouldn't be hugely confident about giving him any sort of money.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Just when i thought the nadir had been reached by the likes of Gary dickie pat cairney and the legendary chizzi along comes Craig pettigrew to prove me wrong. When he came on as a replacement for Thompson the inevitable goal for Bonnyrigg duly came.

It has now reached the stage where the fans would gladly watch the team lose if they were attacking and playing positive football. The woman at the fish counter in Morrisons has advised me that wee Stevie will be gone by the weekend and that Nishie is standing by the phone.

1 minute ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Just when i thought the nadir had been reached by the likes of Gary dickie pat cairney and the legendary chizzi along comes Craig pettigrew to prove me wrong. When he came on as a replacement for Thompson the inevitable goal for Bonnyrigg duly came.

It has now reached the stage where the fans would gladly watch the team lose if they were attacking and playing positive football. The woman at the fish counter in Morrisons has advised me that wee Stevie will be gone by the weekend and that Nishie is standing by the phone.

Jesus, that would be like going to bed with Ruth Davidson and waking up beside Theresa May.