Sons' sorrow

I'm scunnered with it. I ve tried to defend Aitken previously but dont think I can anymore. More and more it looks like the blips in our season are our victories, and some of them have been a bit lucky to say the least. Tonight we were beaten by a team who were much better organised, looked much fitter and worked much harder than us. But yet come from another part time set up and probably lesser facilities.

Our style and pace of play tonight was so slow. By the time we put the ball into their box the 2 cb's had settled and addressed robbie t. He was one of the few guys i'd give pass marks to. Thought aldo, barr, bucky, sparky done ok too. The rest and aitken let themselves and us down tonight.

While everyone connected with Sons is obviously deeply disappointed at the outcome of the tie, and our squad was depleted, Rose deserve massive credit for their fine performance over two legs

And our squad was depleted?

That maybe, how do we explain Rose being better organised and set up than us? Does a depleted squad merit poor performances from the players?

Rose played us off the park at theirs and we barely laid a glove on them tonight.

Of the players missing tonight only Harvie has been a first pick. Lets not butter this up any.

From the official site;
"While everyone connected with Sons is obviously deeply disappointed at the outcome of the tie, and our squad was depleted, Rose deserve massive credit for their fine performance over two legs"

And our squad was depleted?

That maybe, how do we explain Rose being better organised and set up than us? Does a depleted squad merit poor performances from the players?

Rose played us off the park at theirs and we barely laid a glove on them tonight.

Of the players missing tonight only Harvie has been a first pick. Lets not butter this up any.

Let's be honest, the form over the last 12-18 months has been absolutely rotten with a few good results, and a few more lucky ones..

No signs of improving, no signs of being able to change a game positively..

His time was up before now but it's draining to watch and no wonder our crowds are as bad as they are.

Only thing going for him is the fact that we are sitting 8th, which is bananas.

Jack Crawford saying on twitter that Stevie will take time to think about his position after the result tonight?

Note: I could have read that wrong. I really don't use twitter other than for updates on games I can't make it to...

I saw that as well.

On one hand, part of me thinks he should be judged in the league and keeping us in it. At the moment you could argue we are on track for that - at least by looking at the table anyway.

However the table doesn't tell the whole story. We have been consistently poor since the start of the season with one or 2 decent performances that hint at a possible improvement that never arrives. I wasn't at QOTS, but I did see the St. Mirren game and we were incredibly lucky to win that game.

Tonight's result was shocking but for me it's the problems we've known about that are most concerning. Our threadbare squad which the manager has assembled cannot cope with injuries/suspensions that a league season will create. We have no clear attacking plan - other than lump it to whatever poor c**t is unfortunate enough to be asked to play up front on his own. With no support.

I mentioned on the game thread that tonight it was Aitkens substitutions and tactical changes that ultimately cost us this game - but there's an argument to be made that had he not adjusted the formation so much we may have been able to get to ET/Pens, and against a junior team that's a terrible indictment of where we are right now.

I feel a sense of malaise about our games at the moment as its a genuine struggle to get excited about what you will see. We have no creativity and there's a total lack of purpose about our play that it's becoming more and more difficult to justify the price of going. Like others I've almost stopped attending away games this year for the the same reasons - I'm finding it harder and harder to justify the home games at this point. And that's a big problem as undoubtably there will be others in our support feeling the same.

I think he has to go. Despite being decently placed in the league and being a PT side blah blah, I just haven't seen anything that suggests we are going to improve under his stewardship. That and I can feel myself caring less and less about going each week and when that happens something has to change.

9 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Reporter now carrying the story and a short speil from Stevie in which he slates the players.

The players he picks and coaches.

The hallmarks of a man who has run out of ideas.

The players must take some of the blame tonight, but he brought them in, set them out, assembled a gameplan and came up with the subs today, and so he needs to take responsibility for, not only the result, but the woeful form and football of the last 12 months.

Edit: Pretty scathing stuff from Aitken. 

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/14950004.Dumbarton_manager_Stevie_Aitken_will_consider_his_future_at_club_after_shock_loss_to_Bonnyrigg_Rose_in_Scottish_Cup/

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

11 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

The hallmarks of a man who has run out of ideas.

The players must take some of the blame tonight, but he brought them in, set them out, assembled a gameplan and came up with the subs today, and so he needs to take responsibility for, not only the result, but the woeful form and football of the last 12 months.

Edit: Pretty scathing stuff from Aitken. 

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/14950004.Dumbarton_manager_Stevie_Aitken_will_consider_his_future_at_club_after_shock_loss_to_Bonnyrigg_Rose_in_Scottish_Cup/

That's just about the most honest assessment Stevie's ever given, he seems to be blaming the players in the midfield & forward positions mind you.

59 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

TTG

Does seem that there's good reason for the thread title now. Took long enough but you got there eventually.

Unfortunately it seems to have come full circle :(

Been a big Aitken critic but fair play to him for coming out and slating the team.  They didn't seem to give a f**k at all after the goal went in.  No rush to get the ball after throw ins etc... just waiting for the final whistle.  Not good enough in any game you're only a goal down in.  ESPECIALLY not good enough against a junior team in the Scottish Cup.

Couldn't help but crack a smile at the Bonnyrigg celebrations at the end of the game.  It reminded me of Annan back when we won the 3rd division.  Mental how much has changed in such little time footballing-wise.  Important not to take the good days for granted - especially on nights like this when we're on the wrong side of the history books.

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Said to my brother at the end of the match the same thing. I have supported Aitken more than most and actually thought we have been as I had expected most of the season. But tonight I felt was the end of the line. Stevie appears to have no way back from here.

That being said, if he had come out and said that in his interview after the first game then maybe the players wouldn't have played that way tonight.

ETA: I actually thought we were far better tonight than we were in the first game.

Edited by squeezeboxson

Ok...

'Mentally we've got a soft group'

That may or may not be true, but whose responsibility is it to help mould them and make sure they're mentally tough enough to succeed? As far as I'm concerned, it's the manager's.

'There's something not right with the squad and that's something we're going to have to look at'

See above.

'We've got a group of players in there that only plays when it suits them'

Maybe it's not that, Stevie. Maybe they've grown numb to the continual defensive tactics that's utterly devoid of any change and displaying any threat going forward? And again, whose responsibility is that if that does happen?