Sons' sorrow

Aye, fair enough. I've just realised I've been spelling the Seagal's surname wrong all this time.

I've seen it spelt Callum Gallagher, Calum Gallacher, Callum Gallacher on the os and Twitter! Minor things, but speaking as Mr Clarke (not Mr Clark) I find it hugely annoying!

Really good interview with Tony McNally in the Reporter, totally tearing into 'Project Brave'. This deserves a wider audience to be honest

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/15320434.Former_Dumbarton_Head_of_Youth_Tony_McNally_blasts_SFA_over_Project_Brave_after_Sons_cut_Youth_Development_Programme/

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

5 minutes ago, dumbarton82 said:

Good interview and some sensible views from Tony. Think his idea of full time clubs having teams from under 12s to 18s and part time from 18s to reserves is a good one.

I'd at least prefer that to what is being proposed. I like the staggered years as well, there's no need for every age group, play against some bigger folk from U12 and you'll not be as shocked going into a first team match. 100% bring back reserves though.

50 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Really good interview with Tony McNally in the Reporter, totally tearing into 'Project Brave'. This deserves a wider audience to be honest

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/15320434.Former_Dumbarton_Head_of_Youth_Tony_McNally_blasts_SFA_over_Project_Brave_after_Sons_cut_Youth_Development_Programme/

Its quite easy to get bogged down in politics but my personal feeling is IF football is the national game in Scotland and as we have some of the oldest clubs in the world there ought to be by now a clear Government directive to financially support youth football right across the country.All senior clubs should be considered ELITE and something special in their community.The links between football club and community should be encouraged not broken.If we want to get bored kids off the street then sport is a great way to do that as well as inducing the discipline that is required to succeed .Perhaps it sounds a bit Victorian but i believe its a start.

Secondly when we reduce the number of youth  programs then clearly the chance of good talent coming through and being spotted is reduced.For many reasons some talented kids may not get their chance be it for travel reasons , logistics , finance etcAnd as Tony rightly points out who decides who is Elite and who isnt.We have seen this before with the ELITE SPL which thank f**k crashed and burned.Many were not so elite after armageddon. Personally i cant stand elitism in what is a universal national sport.Andy Mclaren was on record recently saying that football in Scotland was becoming very firmly middle class and Project Brave very definitively is establishing just that.

Craig Brown also highlighted the fact that in countries like Iceland and Estonia , the governments have invested heavily in good infrastructure for sport at a community level.He said Scotland was miles behind in comparison.It does come down to politics and priorities i suppose.I am not a politician by any means but i do believe Holyrood should be taking the bull by the horns in this matter.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's a shite situation. Aye, the youth teams haven't really produced anyone in the last 10 years aside from Nicky Devlin but I still like to see us trying to give boys a chance. If our funding is being cut and focus put more on the top clubs and producing "elite" players then it's hard to see how we can continue. Disappointing but sensible decision.

The Queen of tbe South Club Academy system has produced the likes of Kevin Holt, Gavin Reilly, Dan Carmichael, Ian McShane, Aaron Muirhead, Grant Hanley, Josh Todd amongst others. If you want to go back far enough to before it was called Club Academy it also produced the likes of Willie Gibson, Paul Burns, Ryan McGuffie and Colin McMenamin. For the size of the area its done not bad at all over the past decade with a few Premiership players and one Scotland international. 

However we too will be getting our funding binned it would seem. To be honest the nominal funding we have been getting latterly wasnt filling much of a hole anyway. If we were to pull out who is going to pick up kids with any talent in this area? The Old Firm or possibly Kilmarnock maybe? I know kids from the area who go to Hamilton or Hibs too. Its a lot to ask for parents in such a low average income area though. Might we not just lose these kids? Or will they be able to come through late after staying in youth club football? I genuinely dont know. I'm not convinced about Project Brave at all yet. They need to explain far better what the vision actually is and how it is going to work.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Joe Nuttell has been release by Aberdeen. Thoughts?

Happened before our final game of the season, although I guess he's only officially a free agent as of tomorrow. He's heading back down south as far as I know.

I know St Mirren and Morton fans will give me pelters for this, but Aberdeen have released another striker this evening. Someone Ian Murray tried to bring to the Rock a few times. He might have had a nightmare season, but Lawrence Shankland is the sort of guy I reckon Stevie would work well with.

Shankland isn't that bad. His style of play didn't suit our tactics whatsoever which made him look lazy and uninterested when in fact he was decent at holding the ball up but just couldn't get into scoring positions for whatever reason. I felt quite sorry for him as he became a bit of a scapegoat towards the end of the season after the team hit poor form. I'm easily quite critical of players but I always felt he just didn't do what Quitongo did before he got injured. There's a player in there, just severely lacking in confidence. 

Really wouldn't be keen on Shankland, immobile and doesn't score many, we have the Prince and he offers far more than I've ever seen Shankland offer. There's surely better options there, Hilson, McHugh or Baird would do me.

Baird would be the absolute dream. He's one of those guys I've wanted to see in a Sons' shirt for years. No idea if we'd be able to get him, but regular football at his age might swing it.

Suspect he'll end up at another f/t club if he leaves Falkirk though.
Shankland isn't that bad. His style of play didn't suit our tactics whatsoever which made him look lazy and uninterested when in fact he was decent at holding the ball up but just couldn't get into scoring positions for whatever reason. I felt quite sorry for him as he became a bit of a scapegoat towards the end of the season after the team hit poor form. I'm easily quite critical of players but I always felt he just didn't do what Quitongo did before he got injured. There's a player in there, just severely lacking in confidence. 

Aye, that's pretty much what I thought. Stevie is excellent at building up confidence in a player, and I reckon it would work.

All irrelevant anyway as I've heard nothing to suggest he'll be joining.

Desperate for some news today.

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Really wouldn't be keen on Shankland, immobile and doesn't score many, we have the Prince and he offers far more than I've ever seen Shankland offer. There's surely better options there, Hilson, McHugh or Baird would do me.

just had a really vivid throwback to about 2008, you standing on the touchline at Montrose slowly going "Baaaaaa-iiiiiiirrrrrd" seeming to really get to him :lol:

10 minutes ago, GoTeamGaz said:

just had a really vivid throwback to about 2008, you standing on the touchline at Montrose slowly going "Baaaaaa-iiiiiiirrrrrd" seeming to really get to him :lol:

The wee p***k scored and ran straight to me that day, if I remember correctly :lol: 

Obviously every player is different but reading this reminds me of Steven Dobbie. He came to us years ago, overweight and couldn't score. Spent the season with us got fit and confident and look at how his career panned out.

12 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Obviously every player is different but reading this reminds me of Steven Dobbie. He came to us years ago, overweight and couldn't score. Spent the season with us got fit and confident and look at how his career panned out.

Half a season, and he was still chronically unfit when he arrived at us in January. In fact it was a few months before he really knuckled down with us. When he first arrived he apparently used to go to McDonalds on the way home from training!

Your point is valid though, it's possible to change a player's mindset, but pretty rare I'd have thought.