Sons' sorrow

Just surprised you never mentioned them out the 5. Is Holmes still with Alloa? Was he not once on dumbartons books, or was that a different Holmes? So8?

Holmes was with us on loan from Dundee United yonks ago, aye, but he was with Albion Rovers last year.

Graeme holmes (homer ) was with us up till last season. he was freed and went to Albion rovers this season (didn't end well ).
i was not so aware of andy being at Dumbarton , i thought he came from Ayr ..

Andy Graham was our Captain for our first 2 seasons in the Championship. I’m sure if you ask any Sons fan who the fans favourites have been over this 5 year spell Gary Fleming and Andy Graham will be right at the top of the list.

10 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Andy Graham was our Captain for our first 2 seasons in the Championship. I’m sure if you ask any Sons fan who the fans favourites have been over this 5 year spell Gary Fleming and Andy Graham will be right at the top of the list.

we certainly have benefitted big time getting a hold of these guys , why were they released ?

15 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

we certainly have benefitted big time getting a hold of these guys , why were they released ?

Great guys but Aitken released Graham soon after he arrived because he (correctly) identified that he was too slow for the Championship. Garry Fleming is one of the best players I have seen in a Dumbarton shirt. 100% effort every time. Great guy. Unfortunately there was a lot going on in his personal life in his final season with us which affected his approach to his game. I'm delighted for Garry that he's doing well at Alloa and wish him all the very best. Except this week of course.

Great guys but Aitken released Graham soon after he arrived because he (correctly) identified that he was too slow for the Championship. Garry Fleming is one of the best players I have seen in a Dumbarton shirt. 100% effort every time. Great guy. Unfortunately there was a lot going on in his personal life in his final season with us which affected his approach to his game. I'm delighted for Garry that he's doing well at Alloa and wish him all the very best. Except this week of course.

Not to mention Garry and Stevie not getting on, if I remember correctly, taggs, was injured, and never got much of a look in, slightly more than Andy mind you

When Stevie Aitken joined he decided to bring in his own captain (Darren Barr). I’m not sure Graham was very happy with losing the captaincy as he had been fairly faultless in the role. He was also far from guaranteed a start and about 3 games into the season his contract was terminated by Mutual Consent. As it happens his last game was a 1-0 defeat to Queens Park aet in which Garry Fleming sent a 90th penalty over the bar and all the way back to Dumbarton then in extra time Andy Graham unsuccessfully tried to dribble through about 4 players in his own box cause the winner to be conceded. Whether that was a GIRFUY to Aitken we’ll probably never know.

Fleming was released at the end of last season. He had been carrying a fair bit of extra weight and wasn’t really in shape for championship football for most of the season. The decision to let him go wasn’t a popular one with fans but ultimately I think it was the correct one.

8 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

He had been carrying a fair bit of extra weight and wasn’t really in shape for championship football for most of the season. The decision to let him go wasn’t a popular one with fans but ultimately I think it was the correct one.

I can understand this , but his distribution is excellent and kinda makes up for it , with andy yeah he aint the fastest but boy he is a first class interceptor and has an uncanny feel for where the ball tends to go . so who are your star players ?

45 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Because we play (have been at least) in the championship and they aren't good enough for that level.

Edited by squeezeboxson

I can understand this , but his distribution is excellent and kinda makes up for it , with andy yeah he aint the fastest but boy he is a first class interceptor and has an uncanny feel for where the ball tends to go . so who are your star players ?

Well our 2 Full Backs McLaughlin and Wardrop our excellent but unfortunately they have both missed about half of the season with ankle injuries. Neither of them will play in either leg of the final.

Other key players to look out for are Froxylias, Burt and Stewart. They can be easily identified during the 90 minutes by looking towards the Dumbarton dugout, however, Burt may escape onto the pitch for the final 10 minutes.

In terms of who will actually play they all range from bad to meh apart Stirling who is very nippy on the wing and the Centre Back partnership of Dowie and Barr. Both solid no nonsense defenders. Hutton and Carswell can also throw in the odd decent game and I suppose Callum Gallagher (seaGal) works his arse off up top.

Fleming was willing to remain with us as a squad player on a reduced wage but Aitken's mind was clearly made up. Funnily enough I'd have him as a starter in our current squad, never mind as backup.

Graham's family were sitting behind me at that QP game and spent the entire game calling Aitken all sorts amongst themselves. When QP scored they seemed delighted and there was a "get it up ye ya ginger p***k" from one of them. He was correctly emptied in the days that followed.

6 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Because we play (have been at least) in the championship and they aren't good enough for that level.

To be fair, Garry Fleming was more than good enough for the Championship for 5 seasons.

3 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

To be fair, Garry Fleming was more than good enough for the Championship for 5 seasons.

He was for 4 maybe??, but in his final season he was awful regardless of the circumstances. If it was anyone else other than Garry everyone would have been delighted to see him released. I was gutted the day we released the statement on the OS and he was released, but it was the right decision . 

11 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Well our 2 Full Backs McLaughlin and Wardrop our excellent but unfortunately they have both missed about half of the season with ankle injuries. Neither of them will play in either leg of the final.

Other key players to look out for are Froxylias, Burt and Stewart. They can be easily identified during the 90 minutes by looking towards the Dumbarton dugout, however, Burt may escape onto the pitch for the final 10 minutes.

In terms of who will actually play they all range from bad to meh apart Stirling who is very nippy on the wing and the Centre Back partnership of Dowie and Barr. Both solid no nonsense defenders. Hutton and Carswell can also throw in the odd decent game and I suppose Callum Gallagher (seaGal) works his arse off up top.

Ah yes. Pretty much this....