Sons' sorrow

23 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

I was working at Edinburgh City today and they offer Hearts & Hibs season ticket holders half price entry to their games.

They say they are starting to see early benefits because when the Hearts and Hibs fans are in attendance their children are always head to toe in Edinburgh City gear.

I suppose it's playing the long game hoping those wee ones continue to attend as they get older.

Do we think something similar could work with us or is it unfair to real Dumbarton fans?

Just looking for thoughts on this.

It’s something I thought about recently given the Premiership teams were on their winter break. Could Dumbarton offer cut price entry to season ticket holders of those clubs.

It could be seen as a slap in the face to genuine supporters, “why should they get in cheaper than the loyal supporters”, and you’d attract the normal toxic ‘debate’ you get with anything associated with the Old Firm, that’s the risks.

The potential benefits would be greater match day revenue and, hopefully, a bounce affect with more deciding their local team are worth supporting.

Difficult one to call imo, but any ideas to boost income and supporter base deserves consideration.

5 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Stefan? I'd be surprised, I was at Pollok today and he played (and scored). Can't see them being overly keen on him playing for us in a bounce game two days before he's playing for the club who pay his wages.

The big number 9 was as much a footballer as I am today.

The Lok trialist (11) played well.

Your manager, stating the bloody obvious.:

Dumbarton manager Jim Duffy on Sportsound

"Celtic are miles ahead of Airdrie in every department. But they kept at it and they had that one chance. If they had got that right on half time, you never know, but Celtic had more gears to go through."

If I was a Son, I would be hoping Jim would be using this time to get a couple of signings in  instead of being the lazy pundit jobbie. Then again we had Gordon Dalziel and Mark Watson, the Radio Clyde dynamic duo managing us a couple of seasons ago  - so I have nothing to shout about.

Your manager, stating the bloody obvious.:

Dumbarton manager Jim Duffy on Sportsound

"Celtic are miles ahead of Airdrie in every department. But they kept at it and they had that one chance. If they had got that right on half time, you never know, but Celtic had more gears to go through."

If I was a Son, I would be hoping Jim would be using this time to get a couple of signings in  instead of being the lazy pundit jobbie. Then again we had Gordon Dalziel and Mark Watson, the Radio Clyde dynamic duo managing us a couple of seasons ago  - so I have nothing to shout about.

Yea, our manager should quit his day job so he can work flat out 24/7 trying to sign players for part-time Dumbarton.

The big number 9 was as much a footballer as I am today.

The Lok trialist (11) played well.

The big guy looked like he’d just walked on straight from the pub! Proper Juniors player.

Jordan Morton was the trialist #11. Scored a couple of absolute screamers against us for Cowdenbeath and Livingston a few years ago.

17 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

I seen on Twitter that Conrad balatoni has signed for the futsal team wattcell until the end of the season. Don't know if that stops him playing regular football or not...

@RossForbes

He played for Edinburgh City yesterday, so I'm assuming that it's just another thing he's doing on the side. I can't imagine that anyone a Edinburgh will be too pleased with the prospect of him effectively playing competitive football for another team though.

If the club allows "visitors" in for less than the levied rate for season-ticket holders they better have a good 'compensation package' for us (and I don't mean financially).

Also, allowing season-ticket holders of the Bigot Brothers in for less than the occasional walk-up fan - say,the local guy on his one weekend off per month - is a non-starter in my opinion.

The fact that so many of our regulars are from outside the immediate area is a credit to their loyalty even if doesn't say much for their sanity, but if it is costing you £50 all-round to go to a home that is hardly an incentive for your mate next door to come along too.

Older folks may remember various clubs experimenting with Sunday football (yes, kids, such a thing was a novelty). not such a bad idea as the pubs closed in the afternoon and all that was on the television was bloody 'All Our Yesterdays'. Tranmere Rovers also played their home games on a Friday night to avoid losing supporters to, and in the hope of gaining bodies from, their much bigger neighbours.

As I'm not sure where I'm going with this Sunday Sermon I'll retire to the vestry and my special cellar of "communion wine".

Edited by Old Scrotum

What sort of 'compensation' would you expect?

I don't think any intensive that would aim to boost club finances and match day attendance should be a non starter. Fans should be more open minded than that in my opinion. Whether we like it or not there's a fair number of local football fans who prefer to spend their Saturday afternoon at other football grounds. When those clubs aren't playing there's arguably an opportunity to attract those fans to our games. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe it would.

I totally understand the argument for allowing fans with other clubs season tickets in at a reduced rate. However I also understand that it may anger our more local regular fans, who fork out their hard end cash to watch us, and see their next door neighbour pay less than them to get in.
It's good to see the club coming up with different fund raising ideas and ways to attract new fans.
There will be a lot of people in the area that just want to watch football but are put off by the price at our ground, so maybe a discounted rate somehow may help bring them in.
I for one love watching football regardless of the level. Dumbarton are my team however finances and responsibilities mean I don't get to as many games as I like. Do i think we charge too much? Yes I do. Does it put me off? Kind of, it's more justifying to the wife that I'm going to spunk near enough £50 on a day out at the football. This means that if i do get a rare Saturday off I end up watching Dumbarton Accies, or St pats playing on the common or even watching the vale juniors which IMO reflects good value for money.
Do i resent Dumbarton for charging so much? Absolutely not, it's the world we live In and what everyone else charges, I don't believe we would get enough extra punters in to merit dropping the price.
The work that certain people around our club put in is commendable. A lot of effort goes in to organise events etc and I take my hat off to you all. I'm sure most of our fans are happy to contribute to all the fund raising events, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your view) some of our fans can contribute financially more than others but everyone that helps out should be applauded.
Who knows what the future will bring but the efforts of those busting their gut to keep our team going is outstanding.

In a more “football” rather than financial question.

With Adam playing in the bounce game on Thursday in goals. Do you think we will keep Smith ?

Who would you like to see between sticks or do you think this is an area we require fresh new player in ??

1 minute ago, RGD89 said:

With Adam playing in the bounce game on Thursday in goals. Do you think we will keep Smith ?

Who would you like to see between sticks or do you think this is an area we require fresh new player in ??

I'd like to see us bring in a new goalkeeper as I don't believe what we currently have is sufficient, but I'm realistic enough to realise it's not our priority position, far from it.

6 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

We'll need to bring in one 'keeper with McGowan away, so I'd imagine Smith will be that man. He'll be cheap, and he's better than Grant Adam, but none of those are exactly glowing endorsements. 

In the summer clearout a solid 'keeper should be a major priority. Not one of the guys we've had this season have been up to Scott Gallacher's level, and he wasn't exactly Alan Martin (who is out of contract in May :wub:).  I'm still a wee bit disappointed that Aitken didn't go for Graeme Smith in the summer when he left Brechin to be honest. I doubt he's on a huge wage at Stenhousemuir, and he's always been a very good goalkeeper at this level. He even ticks Aitken's Rangers box.

We'll need to bring in one 'keeper with McGowan away, so I'd imagine Smith will be that man. He'll be cheap, and he's better than Grant Adam, but none of those are exactly glowing endorsements. 
In the summer clearout a solid 'keeper should be a major priority. Not one of the guys we've had this season have been up to Scott Gallacher's level, and he wasn't exactly Alan Martin (who is out of contract in May :wub:).  I'm still a wee bit disappointed that Aitken didn't go for Graeme Smith in the summer when he left Brechin to be honest. I doubt he's on a huge wage at Stenhousemuir, and he's always been a very good goalkeeper at this level. He even ticks Aitken's Rangers box.
The problem with Smith is that he didn't play under Durrant. The extent of Stevie Aitken's scouting was asking Durrant to recommend one of his staunch mates he worked with at Murray Park.