Sons' sorrow

I like Omar from what I've seen so far. He's just a bit raw. I think with a good bit if coaching he'd be a right good player for this league. 

Jones had his best game today but I've honestly seen amateur strikers that are better. 

Ramsbottom has more than made up for his error and nerves in his first match for us. He was good today and he's got some kick on him. With a little and large combo (nish/kane or lister/prunty) up top it could be a great weapon. 

I was frustrated with Frizzell today. He should be our talisman, our loveable rogue type player but he's fairly anonymous for the most part. Airdrie have Robert  who drifts in and out of games and that's fine because when he's on the ball he makes things happen. Frizzell should be that type for us. 

The centre back pairing were solid enough. I actually quite like them and their physicality. Wardrop has some amount of energy and I hope he sticks with us next season. He has the potential to play at a higher level. Good to see Quitongo back today, he's a big miss.

Rabin's probably the kind of guy we've been missing this season. Especially with PJ injured for the most part. He's someone who'll be direct, take risks and isn't afraid to take defenders on. That's the sort of thing we've been screaming out for this year. We've got more than enough players who will play comfortable passes and keep possession, but we need more who can come up with a bit of magic. And he's probably in that category. I like him a lot.

He's also some worker defensively and pretty solid in the challenge/good in the air. I'm not hugely surprised he didn't make it in the Championship, but I think he's got the potential to be a really handy League One player. Probably in the mould of a Bobby Barr type.

46 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Rabin's probably the kind of guy we've been missing this season. Especially with PJ injured for the most part. He's someone who'll be direct, take risks and isn't afraid to take defenders on. That's the sort of thing we've been screaming out for this year. We've got more than enough players who will play comfortable passes and keep possession, but we need more who can come up with a bit of magic. And he's probably in that category. I like him a lot.

He's also some worker defensively and pretty solid in the challenge/good in the air. I'm not hugely surprised he didn't make it in the Championship, but I think he's got the potential to be a really handy League One player. Probably in the mould of a Bobby Barr type.

I'm really struggling to think of who you are thinking of here Jan - probably the main reason that our back four repeatedly launch long  balls forward is that we simply do not have  players, especially in midfeld, who are comfortable in possession and crucially can retain it.  Last Thursday evening Kyle Turner (again) gave a masterclass versus Dumbarton in being the midfield fulcrum for Airdrie; taking the ball deep, holding it, releasing it, taking it back, spreading it.  Only one example sure, but when did we last string seven passes together as a team ?  No, seriously.

And this deficiency feeds into the comment above about us trying to 'out-football' the opposition.  When exactly was that ?  Today showed how resilient we can be in defence but on all available evidence further forward is not good enough.  Omar is a useful acquisition but it will take more than him.

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm really struggling to think of who you are thinking of here Jan - probably the main reason that our back four repeatedly launch long  balls forward is that we simply do not have  players, especially in midfeld, who are comfortable in possession and crucially can retain it.  Last Thursday evening Kyle Turner (again) gave a masterclass versus Dumbarton in being the midfield fulcrum for Airdrie; taking the ball deep, holding it, releasing it, taking it back, spreading it.  Only one example sure, but when did we last string seven passes together as a team ?  No, seriously.

In terms of players who could comfortably keep possession, I'd say we have plenty in midfield. Most notably Nat Wedderburn who is a lovely passer of a ball. Give Carsy six to 12 yard backwards and sideways passes and he'll make them pretty comfortably all game. The same goes for Tam Brindley from what I've seen, who looks neat and tidy in possession as well.

Our issue is that none of them can pick out passes like Joe McKee could going forward. Which means we'll knock a few passes between our players in midfield/defence, then lump a ball into the channel or right onto the head of the opposition centre-half because that's the only way we know how to attack. We just have no balance at all and very little creativity/drive going forward. McKee's quality papered over quite a few cracks last season and we haven't come close to replacing him this year. Getting another player with the ability he had was always going to be a big ask - but we didn't really bring in anyone centrally to play the role he did. That's a huge reason why we are where we are imo.

3 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Posted this on the match thread but in case some of you don't bother I'll copy it here. Not about playing pretty football anymore...

I'm beginning to think we should stop trying to out football our opponents in the league and should instead stick to counter attacking football. Obviously we wouldn't be nice to watch but in the last week we have twice, reasonably successfully, frustrated opponents who are better than us and in those 2 games we created many more chances than we did in the games we were expected to be more comfortable in.

We would still struggle with the group we have but given the little chances we created vs Forfar, Peterhead and Airdrie it can't be any worse.

Let's play to our strengths by frustrating opponents and if we can cut out the odd lapse in concentration we may have a chance of catching teams on the break.

I'm not sure we've tried to play much football against anyone recently.

Today was much better, but its the type of game we're suited for. Defensively we are good enough, we just don't have anything going forwards, which we've all known for ages. I think Ramsbottom has responded brilliantly to the very public humiliation he received after the Forfar game and I was delighted to see him have such a good game on national tv. Credit to him for bouncing back. We absolutely needed to take the chances we got today (McGeever and Omar), but just couldn't. Also was a stonewall pen.

At least we don't have an extra game to worry about and certainly didn't embarrass ourselves.

Edited by FifeSons

4 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I'm not sure we've tried to play much football against anyone recently.

Well that's true but whatever we have been trying simply hasn't been working. I think we have to simplify things and play to our few strengths. The key, for me, is also in keeping the players motivated. The level of performance vs Falkirk and Aberdeen was far superior to what we have seen in the other 3 matches, for whatever reason. Maybe it is the manager, maybe the players. The captain should also play a role in keeping the guys going during matches and we also have plenty of experience throughout the squad who should be leading by example. 

Well that's true but whatever we have been trying simply hasn't been working. I think we have to simplify things and play to our few strengths. The key, for me, is also in keeping the players motivated. The level of performance vs Falkirk and Aberdeen was far superior to what we have seen in the other 3 matches, for whatever reason. Maybe it is the manager, maybe the players. The captain should also play a role in keeping the guys going during matches and we also have plenty of experience throughout the squad who should be leading by example. 

I honestly think we’re not trying to play enough football - we just get the ball hoof it long and pray we win a second ball. A style that was effective years ago but football is modernising and you see naturally defensive/counter-attacking managers really struggling now.

Omar looks like a decent addition to a poor squad. As Jan correctly points out though we simply don’t have the quality of previous years. Partly because we’ve dropped out of the championship, partly because our current ownership model offers nothing in terms of investment or growth but primarily because Duffy simply hasn’t recruited well. That’s the reason we are where we are, rather than any over reliance on any one type of play. Although tactically we’ve also been poor.

Omar needs to start on Tuesday ahead of Frizzel. Ideally further forward and sitting behind a front two of Wilson off Layne who could work well together.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A serious question - currently our last fixture is versus Thistle.  Is that it or are we proceeding with Play-Offs ?  If so, when will we know, and who is deciding this.

Sorry, four questions.

If all clubs have completed 18 games by the date of the Thistle game we will play another 4 league matches against the other bottom 4 teams (barring any major miracle of us reaching the top 5). If all games aren't played by then, it goes straight to play-offs. 

Our game against Clyde will need to move to Thursday 15th April as well with them now playing in the Scottish Cup on the 17th.

3 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

I honestly think we’re not trying to play enough football - we just get the ball hoof it long and pray we win a second ball. A style that was effective years ago but football is modernising and you see naturally defensive/counter-attacking managers really struggling now.

I'd say we are trying too much and failing because we don't have the ability. Duffy is quoted as saying he has tried lots of different ways of playing to get more success in the final third. But from what I have watched we are the same toothless group failing to create anything.

Harsh as it may seem, we don't have enough quality in our squad to play decent football, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Jordo1872 said:

Omar looks like a decent addition to a poor squad. As Jan correctly points out though we simply don’t have the quality of previous years. Partly because we’ve dropped out of the championship, partly because our current ownership model offers nothing in terms of investment or growth but primarily because Duffy simply hasn’t recruited well. That’s the reason we are where we are, rather than any over reliance on any one type of play. Although tactically we’ve also been poor.

Omar needs to start on Tuesday ahead of Frizzel. Ideally further forward and sitting behind a front two of Wilson off Layne who could work well together.

I totally agree. We need him as high up the pitch as possible. In both the Falkirk and Aberdeen matches he was always going to be key to us scoring any goals (or even creating any chances from open play!). He was at fault for the goal conceded yesterday too which is frustrating, but if he isn't halfway into our half then we may not have been punished so badly.

I'm as critical as anyone towards the team and JDs tactics, but to single out 1 player for the goal yesterday is a bit poor. We were backs to the wall for the entire game, Omar had our best chance at a goal early in 2nd half. Had it not been for Ramsbottom then it could and probably wouldve been a few more. The Aberdeen goal was a good goal, Hendry got the ball out his feet quickly, shifted it wrong footing our defence and finished well. Think we are over critical saying it's anybodys fault.

After Ramsbottoms calamitous debut, hes done well since with 2? Motm awards, fair play to him. However, our good defence (which it is) doesn't hide the fact we can't score.......

Edited by pleslie99

2 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

I'm as critical as anyone towards the team and JDs tactics, but to single out 1 player for the goal yesterday is a bit poor. We were backs to the wall for the entire game, Omar had our best chance at a goal early in 2nd half. Had it not been for Ramsbottom then it could and probably wouldve been a few more. The Aberdeen goal was a good goal, Hendry got the ball out his feet quickly, shifted it wrong footing our defence and finished well. Think we are over critical saying it's anybodys fault.

After Ramsbottoms calamitous debut, hes done well since with 2? Motm awards, fair play to him. However, our good defence (which it is) doesn't hide the fact we can't score.......

I wasn't looking to blame Omar but I feel we need to recognise he's going to lose us the ball a lot simply because he tries to be creative. He needs to play but as high up the pitch as possible. I've been pleased with Ramsbottom too, hopefully he can keep it up.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I wasn't looking to blame Omar but I feel we need to recognise he's going to lose us the ball a lot simply because he tries to be creative. He needs to play but as high up the pitch as possible. I've been pleased with Ramsbottom too, hopefully he can keep it up.

Did anyone think we missed Forbes yesterday ?  No, me neither.

43 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Forbes only really offers us good delivery from set pieces. I thought we did well in that area yesterday. He simply doesn’t offer enough over a full 90mins to warrant starting imo.

Edited by Jordo1872

Forbes only really offers us good delivery from set pieces. I thought we did well in that area yesterday. He simply doesn’t offer enough over a full 90mins to warrant starting imo.

Apart from against Huntly, Forbes delivery has been poor and very rarely beating the first man.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think his delivery from set pieces would've been useful.

One thing that really annoys me is when footballers have the ball in the corner and rather than just buying an easy corner they try and do something fancy and end up giving the ball away. We were guilty of this a few times yesterday and it was so frustrating. Just play the percentages and buy as many corners as possible in a game like that, where our best chance of a goal is a McGeever header.

Apart from against Huntly, Forbes delivery has been poor and very rarely beating the first man.
Forbes delivery had been shockingly bad up until we restarted after the break. It has improved massively since we started back, not just the Huntly game. However, I'm conflicted on whether or not he should be playing. One one hand, with how we are aging at the moment, he is probably our best chance of creating a goal from a set piece. On the other hand, do we drop him and try and create chances from open play, which we seem incapable of doing with or without him in the squad.