Sons' sorrow

The laziness of Duffy’s signings combined with the style of football just makes it a no-brainer for him to go. If the board can’t see that, then we have a serious problem.

I’ve never wanted to trash him too badly, because I’m uncomfortable doing that with a manager (Aitken aside) and I think he deserved a bit of credit for staying on and not leaving us in the shit after his heart-attack.

For our good, and his own for that matter, he needs to leave the club.

Edited by FifeSons

I'm amazed folk are content enough to give Duffy another summer but each to their own. He's had two summers and fluffed both of them, nearly relegating us in the process. His record in the transfer market at previous clubs is similar. I don't know why folk would expect him to get it right this time. And the football is honking. 

Especially when you look at the table lineup for next season. It’ll be another tough one and I wouldn’t be confident of us finishing above many (if any) of those sides without big changes.

Edited by FifeSons

I'm not talking about retaining Duffy with the financial and other constraints of this season. I'm talking about Duffy with a budget and an ability to bring in decent players, including loan players and not play three games a week, week after week, carrying multiple injuries.

2 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I'm not talking about retaining Duffy with the financial and other constraints of this season. I'm talking about Duffy with a budget and an ability to bring in decent players, including loan players and not play three games a week, week after week, carrying multiple injuries.

He had that two summers ago and signed about 8 boys from an exit trial, only 1 of which has remained with us (Langan) for any period of time. The signings of Regan Tumilty and Joe McKee managed to save what was a complete banter side, but his squad building has been dreadful no matter the constraints. 

This summer could be a turning point for the club. If the new owners are good on their word and the aim is 1st division football regularly then the building process should start now. I am not saying I expect millions to be thrown at us but for me Duffy and some of the squad are past it/not good enough so time for a change.

I remember when Murray came in it felt like the playing mentality at the club changed positively and things in the background seemed more professional I would hope a new manager can come on a do the same with maybe a two year project. Next season build a core squad and challenge to be about 5th then the following season keep the core and add to it and challenge for promotion. 

Easier said that done but I don’t think it’s an impossible task.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

He had that two summers ago and signed about 8 boys from an exit trial, only 1 of which has remained with us (Langan) for any period of time. The signings of Regan Tumilty and Joe McKee managed to save what was a complete banter side, but his squad building has been dreadful no matter the constraints. 

That's a good point.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I've completely forgot about that exit trial, who did we sign from that again?

19 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I've completely forgot about that exit trial, who did we sign from that again?

1 minute ago, PWL said:

Connor Scullion and Ryan Tierney.

And Ruaridh Langan, Jordan Pettigrew and Mati Zata.

Add in the likes of Jordan McMillan, Isaac Layne (which paid off) and Lewis Crawford and that was a seriously bizarre time. It felt like Duffy just picked up anyone who was available.

I'm told the budget at DFC last season was the second lowest in the league and perhaps that was reflected in our squad selection, performances and final league position. It doesn't matter who is the manager next season, if we hope to finish higher, it will require more money.  

The budget and the target set to the manager will be huge factors in the club deciding whether to keep Duffy or not. If it was stay in the league, he's done what was hoped for, if it was get into the top half for the league then that would be unrealistic with that budget.

I think what we've seen this year is a style of play intended to make us hard to beat. Duffys sacrificed entertainment for pragmatism. I wouldn't be surprised to see him given a new contract or him leaving due to concerns over the budget or a new signing policy brought in with the new owners.

I'm told the budget at DFC last season was the second lowest in the league and perhaps that was reflected in our squad selection, performances and final league position. It doesn't matter who is the manager next season, if we hope to finish higher, it will require more money.  

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Looking at the teams in the division next season, a fair bit of money will be spent. Falkirk, Cove and Queens Park will probably be spending big on their squads. There should be no reason why we can't compete financially with Airdrie or Montrose and I'd expect it to be easier for us to build a squad than Peterhead.

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Surely if you aren’t spending as much as other teams you need a manager who can get the best out of the resources at his disposal ala Ian Murray in the Championship? 

Out of interest who had a lower budget than us and who is able to determine exactly who’s budget is what? It’s not like chairman phone each other up to disclose their budget to each other. I mean sometimes it’s obvious by looking at squads but I can’t imagine ourselves, Montrose, Forfar, Clyde or Peterhead were operating on massively different budgets. Montrose finished 4th but I wouldn’t think they have the 4th highest budget in the division, they just have a good manager.

2 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I totally agree Wilf, and the reality probably is that the only two people at the club who really know the going rates are Jim Duffy and Barry Smith.  It's a moot point whether they would produce better results with a bigger budget but it probably explains why a punt was taken this season on Denny Johnstone, Donald Morrison, Ruaridh Langan and some others.  However, it is also a truism that if you operate on a very low budget then you are very unlikely to attract the sort of manager to take you places.  QED.

This coming period will be a massive indicator of whether the new owners are committed to the football aspect - as reminder, the reason DFC has been in existence since December 1872 - or whether they will primarily concentrate their efforts on the land deals vacated by Brabco.  

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I totally agree Wilf, and the reality probably is that the only two people at the club who really know the going rates are Jim Duffy and Barry Smith.  It's a moot point whether they would produce better results with a bigger budget but it probably explains why a punt was taken this season on Denny Johnstone, Donald Morrison, Ruaridh Langan and some others.  However, it is also a truism that if you operate on a very low budget then you are very unlikely to attract the sort of manager to take you places.  QED.

This coming period will be a massive indicator of whether the new owners are committed to the football aspect - as reminder, the reason DFC has been in existence since December 1872 - or whether they will primarily concentrate their efforts on the land deals vacated by Brabco.  

On your last para I’m led to believe it will be a bit of both. Whether that comes to fruition or not I don’t know, nobody does, but I’m led to believe that’s the intention.

14 minutes ago, NilNil said:

On your last para I’m led to believe it will be a bit of both. Whether that comes to fruition or not I don’t know, nobody does, but I’m led to believe that’s the intention.

It certainly should be the intention, but they are already quickly out of the blocks on the land aspects.  I'm happy for a period of grace to elapse now that the football has ended, provided it results in a planned and appropriately funded approach to next season.  One thing I would advise is to trust firmly to events rather than media articles and speculation.