Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Saw on Ryan Wallace’s social media that he’s in some Sort of full leg strap. Looks like season over for him. Would’ve been good to have him for the play offs 

Shame. Was hoping for a 90th minute OG by him in the last minute of the final seeing as he's a horrible wee chap

12 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Congratulations to Bucky on making league 2 team of the year but Brett long has been robbed 

Thoroughly deserved for Bucky, he's been absolutely excellent this season. But I agree 100%.

Brett Long is the best goalkeeper in the league, considerably more clean sheets than any other keeper and the second most saves (behind only Marc McCallum, who I'd have a very close second) in the division.

15 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Have West Dunbartonshire council ever done a thing to help Dumbarton Football Club?

image.png

image.png

They offered to build a path from the town to the stadium with the club's money.

11 hours ago, microdave said:

They offered to build a path from the town to the stadium with the club's money.

I don't think that's quite accurate.  As I recall WDC requested a contribution towards the building of the path and DFC refused.  I'm not sure whether the route of the path would pass over land owned by DFC and why the Council would want money for a public path, but whatever, it didn't involve the club financing a path to the town.

Under better ownership of DFC a whole lot could be achieved down there with the club an integral part, but when you have a majority shareholder whose interests are best served by DFC moving/going under there is little chance of it happening.

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't think that's quite accurate.  As I recall WDC requested a contribution towards the building of the path and DFC refused.  I'm not sure whether the route of the path would pass over land owned by DFC and why the Council would want money for a public path, but whatever, it didn't involve the club financing a path to the town.

Under better ownership of DFC a whole lot could be achieved down there with the club an integral part, but when you have a majority shareholder whose interests are best served by DFC moving/going under there is little chance of it happening.

I'm not sure that's wholly accurate either, OKI. It may have formally been a "request for contribution" but we then had councillors in the local press blaming the club for holding up the progress of the path, which led to outrage from your resident local justice warriors towards the club. They want to build something on our land and want us to pay for it (even if its just the bit that crosses our land). In what universe is that a good deal for a business? If they want to use our land they should pay us as any other person or business would have to do to build something. The club are right to tell them to f**k off.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not sure that's wholly accurate either, OKI. It may have formally been a "request for contribution" but we then had councillors in the local press blaming the club for holding up the progress of the path, which led to outrage from your resident local justice warriors towards the club. They want to build something on our land and want us to pay for it (even if its just the bit that crosses our land). In what universe is that a good deal for a business? If they want to use our land they should pay us as any other person or business would have to do to build something. The club are right to tell them to f**k off.

In which case neither WDC or DFC should have been seeking money over a miniscule sliver of land owned by the club, but which could and hopefully still will lead to an enhancement of the area.  Instead we have a walkway from the Quay which stops behind Lidl, and a crumbling wall at the base of the Rock for our hospitality guests to look out on.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

In which case neither WDC or DFC should have been seeking money over a miniscule sliver of land owned by the club, but which could and hopefully still will lead to an enhancement of the area.  Instead we have a walkway from the Quay which stops behind Lidl, and a crumbling wall at the base of the Rock for our hospitality guests to look out on.

Not arguing that we couldn't and shouldn't take better care of our land but I don't think we should let the council strong-arm us into paying for their project. We're told our financial position is constantly precarious and that simply trying to fund our current obligations is extremely difficult but we should pay for a portion of a project is run by another organisation? Another organisation that, if we're honest, wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire (which we might well be soon). 

If we were able to be part of a bigger picture regeneration of the town then a path linking the stadium to the town centre wouldn't be a bad idea. Particularly if it was part of wider investment. But like a lot of things Dumbarton (town and club), there's a lot of magical thinking that if you do something stand alone then it'll have benefits without any other input or effort. The reality is that the town is in serious need of regeneration. The club could be a fantastic part of that, but we've hardly got a lack of our own problems to seek.

16 hours ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Congratulations to Bucky on making league 2 team of the year but Brett long has been robbed 

The team of the year is a bit of a farce tbh, Andy Munro is in it FFS. I’m assuming it’s one of those things that’s voted for by fellow pros? If so I’d assume the like of McCallum and Munro have their pals voting for them. I wouldn’t even consider McCallum a close 2nd tbh, Long is in a league of his own at this level.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Long is in a league of his own at this level.

24 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Long should be in TOTY no question.

Funny old thing, but we have the same opinion about Blair Currie

1 minute ago, BB_Bino said:

Funny old thing, but we have the same opinion about Blair Currie

I know you can't base everything on stats. But in a worse team, Long has double the number of clean sheets and has made 33 more saves.

Of course, Currie has a league winner's medal. Which is all that really matters. But the Brett Long hill is one I'm prepared to die on. I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in this division. In fact there are only a few keepers in the league above I'd swap him for.

7 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I know you can't base everything on stats. But in a worse team, Long has double the number of clean sheets and has made 33 more saves.

Of course, Currie has a league winner's medal. Which is all that really matters. But the Brett Long hill is one I'm prepared to die on. I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in this division. In fact there are only a few keepers in the league above I'd swap him for.

Forgive me if my only thought on this is that I hope Long has more clean sheets to come in the play offs.  You know who you're facing now and may Long play his part in getting you through to the final and beyond.  I hope to see you in league 1 at the end of it.