Sons' sorrow

Cheers Moonster. Here's my award in all it's glory. I feel honoured to be awarded for something I love doing. It's a labour of love doing the archive and it makes me happy that so many enjoy it.

20230507_092914.jpg

32 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Cannot believe that Brett Long didn’t win any POTY award

I can. It's voted for by folk who pick their favourite player based on whether they wave at them or speak to them after the game, double points if you do it away from home.

47 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Cannot believe that Brett Long didn’t win any POTY award

He won the Sonsview poty but the editor wasn't there last night so it was presented to him two weeks ago.

15 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

The lady who organises the thing that involves about 10 people won 2 awards. Wow.

Fan of The Year

The boy who travels to & from Campbeltown to watch us play or Lionel Wickson/FifeSons & others who travel from far and wide.

*shrugs*

21 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Fan of The Year

The boy who travels to & from Campbeltown to watch us play or Lionel Wickson/FifeSons & others who travel from far and wide.

*shrugs*

Aw, shucks, I've only been at a couple of games this season, though. No one deserves it more than LW, IMO.

2 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Fan of The Year

*shrugs*

Alan and his father Jake McShannon from Campbeltown opened the 150th Exhibition at Dumbarton Library in very deserved recognition of their longstanding support, and indeed they were in attendance yesterday at both the game and the Awards Night.

As you say, Lionel Wickson is another who literally goes the extra miles (from Montrose).  He has contributed hugely to the Hall of Fame and indeed is sponsoring the board which will be on permanent display at the club.

Remarkable Sons supporters, each of them.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Alan and his father Jake McShannon from Campbeltown opened the 150th Exhibition at Dumbarton Library in very deserved recognition of their longstanding support, and indeed they were in attendance yesterday at both the game and the Awards Night.

As you say, Lionel Wickson is another who literally goes the extra miles (from Montrose).  He has contributed hugely to the Hall of Fame and indeed is sponsoring the board which will be on permanent display at the club.

Remarkable Sons supporters, each of them.

Yeah, that was a lovely gesture Alan and Jake opening our Exhibition.

That legends v Fans game today was tremendous today. Stevie Murray putting on a real show was superb to watch, the natural ability and showmanship the wee man has is second to none. 

If @Laurie Williams Loyal was about 30 years younger he'd be pushing Brett and Harry for a starting place too. 

24 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That legends v Fans game today was tremendous today. Stevie Murray putting on a real show was superb to watch, the natural ability and showmanship the wee man has is second to none. 

If @Laurie Williams Loyal was about 30 years younger he'd be pushing Brett and Harry for a starting place too. 

He was brilliant. As was big Nade, wardrop and Ramage. A pleasure to watch!

The last time we were going promotion in the play offs was in 2011/12. That season we lost 5-1 at home to Stirling Albion who went on to finish bottom of the league while we won the play offs.

This season we lost 5-1 at home to a team with Albion in their name who went on to finish bottom of the league. Hopefully a good omen.

12 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

Not sure they got the name of the team right. LEGENDS, aye some of them but very few of them. Guys that played for the club at least once, would've been more appropriate.

It was actually allstars, not that it matters, it looked like a fantastic day that will have raised a good amount for the club.

11 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

Not sure they got the name of the team right. LEGENDS, aye some of them but very few of them. Guys that played for the club at least once, would've been more appropriate.

I think that's a bit unfair. Having put on a similar match previously, it takes a lot of organisation to get that many pros or ex-pros together for a match, never mind trying to sell jerseys to fans to make up the teams. Some folk you contact aren't interested, most are busy doing their own thing. The fact there were 20 odd there is tremendous work, I struggled to get two ex players to simply manage two sets of fans, I can't imagine the pain the arse rounding everybody up for that would've been. There was some great players for Dumbarton there today, from the modern era and Boghead days. Well done to @sarti pooh and all involved!

18 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

I thought it was a very solid turnout. Mooney, Brittso, Nade, Murray, Carcary, MacIver, Hugh Ward, Toby King, Lee Sharp were certainly good players for us.

You also had guys like Andy Graham, Allan Moore, Darren Barr and Joe Robertson having to pull out. Considering it was organised by one guy off his own back, I thought it was an excellent turnout.

You'll always have a few guys come along too who only played a handful of games for us (or none in the case of my brother, who got a text from Eric last night asking him to fill in with the big man injured). But without them, the game wouldn't have happened. 

Edited by Jan Vojáček

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I thought it was a very solid turnout. Mooney, Brittso, Nade, Murray, Carcary, MacIver, Hugh Ward, Toby King, Lee Sharp were certainly good players for us.

Can't believe you left Chizzy out of this list.