Sons' sorrow

47 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Joe McKee has joined us on a 2 year deal will Sons supporters be sorry to lose him?

Joe was released AFAIK and I don’t think you’ll find any Sons fan who disagrees with that decision. The time was right for him to move on.

He had a really successful first spell with us back in 2019 but his second spell was a real disappointment IMO. A classy player on his day but all too often the game just passed him by and he was a bit of a passenger. He still turned in some good performances in his second spell mind you, it wasn’t all bad, it just wasn’t often enough for me. 

I certainly hope he does you turn, he seems like a decent guy and he was a player I always enjoyed watching when he was playing at his best.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If your manager can get the best of him as Duffy did then you'll have a cracking midfielder. Sadly he hasn't shown it for about 4 years. I'm actually surprised he didn't end up at Clyde. 

McKee's body really struggles with astro. I suspect he would've been at Clyde if they had a grass park, but I couldn't see him joining a team who play on it at home.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

McKee's body really struggles with astro. I suspect he would've been at Clyde if they had a grass park, but I couldn't see him joining a team who play on it at home.

There's certainly a lot of caveats that come with Joe McKee. Sadly he won't be missed, which is a shame as I had high hopes. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

There's certainly a lot of caveats that come with Joe McKee. Sadly he won't be missed, which is a shame as I had high hopes. 

There's an old episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson says Alfa Romeo design a car to be as perfect as a car can be. Briefly.

And that's basically Joe McKee. When everything is right then he's one of the best midfielders in League One. But it takes a heck of a lot to be right at the same time to see him at his best.

On 08/06/2023 at 14:24, microdave said:

I'm not a fan of the groups anymore and can't really be bothered by the competition at all. I'd like it to go back to a straight knockout tournament to limit us to one or two games. 

Looking at what Sons earned from the cups, (123k plus a reasonable cut of the gate vs Aberdeen and Killie- maybe 50k more), I have to say im in favour of the LC format.Often they are glorified friendlies but at least they are NOT friendlies and one of these years we may even shock some folk and progress( after all Annan did it so its not impossible).My only criticism is the inability to play trialists which clubs like ours really need at this stage of the season.

As for the signings we have recruited reasonably well againbut I still feel we lack a proven injury free goalscorer.But then most clubs in L2 will say the same.

It will be interesting to see if we change style as most clubs will have us sussed by now.It would also stop the eye bleeding if we actually try to play a bit off football.But given our pitch im not so hopeful.

Hey ho we go again, another season full of ridiculous optimism.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If your manager can get the best of him as Duffy did then you'll have a cracking midfielder. Sadly he hasn't shown it for about 4 years. I'm actually surprised he didn't end up at Clyde. 

Clyde have got Forbes and Carswell. Add McKee to that and it’s one ‘dynamic’ midfield 

McKee is technically competent, but  difficult to get right. He can play as a deep playmaker, but he isnt going to graft and will need somebody who'll do his work for him. Played further forward and he should carry a goal thread from set pieces and be dangerous, but defenders or defensive midfielders can go in rough on him early and his head can drop as a result. If a manager can get him just right then he's dangerous, but thats a difficult thing to achieve.

5 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm quite relaxed about these former players plying their trade against us next season.  I'm more concerned about the Bevans and Healys of this division - young, pacy, skilful players with a lot to prove.

Isn't Bevan still with Albion Rovers?