Sons' sorrow

IT could always be a non-financial movie. He might want a change. He might not fancy another season with Farrell. If he does move then he'll be a big loss to our midfield as his dynamic running and his willingness to go direct at opposition defensive players created all sorts of problems. And his engine allowed him to get back and help our defensively. He was a genuine box to box player.

The minimum that the club needs to get out of this is a decent fee. We took him when he'd been released by St Mirren (I think) and gave him the chance to further his career. Admittedly a few other clubs could have, but we did and we shouldn't be selling ourselves short. On the other hand we want to build a reputation where very good young players will want to come to Dumbarton, get a chance to show what they can do outside of youth or reserve football and progress in the game. It's a tough one.

EK in the Lowland League would be selling himself far too short though. I actually wouldn't have been surprised if Stirling Albion had fancied him, given that they'll know all about him from last season. Clearly QotS were interested and he was scouted several times. He's good enough for a move upwards and EK would be a seriously backwards step. If he stays this season and walks for free then he cost us nothing to sign and we can't really have any complaints. Whoever is turning his head towards EK is doing him absolutely no favour.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

19 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

IT could always be a non-financial movie. He might want a change. He might not fancy another season with Farrell. If he dies move then he'll be a big loss to our midfield as his dynamic running and his willingness to go direct at opposition defensive players created all sorts of problems. And his engine allowed him to get back and help our defensively. He was a genuine box to box player.

The minimum that the club needs to get out of this is a decent fee. We took him when he'd been released by St Mirren (I think) and gave him the chance to further his career. Admittedly a few other clubs could have, but we did and we shouldn't be selling ourselves short. On the other hand we want to build a reputation where very good young players will want to come to Dumbarton, get a chance to show what they can do outside of youth or reserve football and progress in the game. It's a tough one.

EK in the Lowland League would be selling himself far too short though. I actually wouldn't have been surprised if Stirling Albion had fancied him, given that they'll know all about him from last season. Clearly QotS were interested and he was scouted several times. He's good enough for a move upwards and EK would be a seriously backwards step. If he stays this season and walks for free then he cost us nothing to sign and we can't really have any complaints. Whoever is turning his head towards EK is doing him absolutely no favour.

We signed him from Broomhill. We don't owe him anything though. He signed a deal, if he didn't want to be here beyond this summer he didn't need to sign it and he must've known the whole reason the club offered him it was to collect some cash in this exact scenario. If EK have put up the cash we're looking for then let the wee fud go and waste another year or two of his career in that binfire of a league.

It would be a sad way for him to go but we really don't need any issues in the dressing room, so if he's causing any bother it's cheerio time.

As soon as a good offer comes in I’d be letting him go, from what I’ve heard the toys are firmly oot the pram. We absolutely do not need that and whilst he’s a good enough player at this level, he’s not good enough to risk the harmony of the squad.

We’ll happily take a big slice of that “chicken” money that daft mob are throwing around. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As soon as a good offer comes in I’d be letting him go, from what I’ve heard the toys are firmly oot the pram. We absolutely do not need that and whilst he’s a good enough player at this level, he’s not good enough to risk the harmony of the squad.

We’ll happily take a big slice of that “chicken” money that daft mob are throwing around. 

Why are the toys oot the pram though ?  If Gray is unhappy that could suggest that a club or clubs is coming in for him and DFC is maybe asking for too steep a fee, which admittedly would be unusual for club which seems permanently skint.  Or it could be as simple as he simply wants a change of club with the chance to earn more, ie what most us consider doing at some point in our employment.

And to those who point at his signing of a contract extension, well that was when we were riding high, so high in fact that the Manager managed to convince the club of his own contract extension.  And then it all went downhill.

in other words we really can't be sure what exactly is going on, and that includes any suggestion of a risk to squad harmony - why would that follow exactly ?  One thing's for sure, if he does go and it may well happen then we had better replace his pace and energy because it will be very sorely missed.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Why are the toys oot the pram though ?  If Gray is unhappy that could suggest that a club or clubs is coming in for him and DFC is maybe asking for too steep a fee, which admittedly would be unusual for club which seems permanently skint.  Or it could be as simple as he simply wants a change of club with the chance to earn more, ie what most us consider doing at some point in our employment.

And to those who point at his signing of a contract extension, well that was when we were riding high, so high in fact that the Manager managed to convince the club of his own contract extension.  And then it all went downhill.

in other words we really can't be sure what exactly is going on, and that includes any suggestion of a risk to squad harmony - why would that follow exactly ?  One thing's for sure, if he does go and it may well happen then we had better replace his pace and energy because it will be very sorely missed.

Apparently he’s unhappy we didn’t let him leave for QOS, which is tough shit. Contracts work both ways, we couldn’t just punt him if we wanted to without paying him off, and I am in no doubt if a suitable offer was received we’d let him leave. Clearly that hasn’t happened yet. Again if Finlay Gray doesn’t want to work under the manager anymore then tough shit, no one forced him into signing a contract. Again, if he wants to earn more elsewhere, you guessed it - tough shit, until we receive an offer we deem acceptable he’ll just need to suck it up, we’re not a boys club or a charity who are here to help develop a player and let them leave for peanuts/nothing when they decide they want to earn more elsewhere.

Unhappy players and squad harmony go hand in hand, and the last thing we need is an unhappy player on the books. If we receive a suitable offer I wouldn’t think twice about accepting it. 

17 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There's not a chance in hell this board are asking for a fee too high. We've never been a club to stand in a players way and we're not exactly in a position of power being in League 2 despite him being under contract. We can ask for as much as we want but he'll go for a small development fee next summer, any clubs coming in would probably only need to match that or a little bit more to take him now. 

If Finlay had aspirations of moving on this summer he should've said thanks but no thanks last October or whenever it was he signed. There was no rush for him to sign that deal, he could've waited until January and seen if any clubs were sniffing about. You can't take the improved deal when the going is good and then complain that you can't leave when it suits you.

The chicken boy at EK threw a 5 figure sum at Forfar for Meechan a couple of seasons ago, if he's chucking anything close to that at us for an upset Gray then unfortunately I'd take the cash. I'd love it if what we're hearing regarding his attitude/leaving the club is wrong and it was all just heat of the moment but when folk who have nothing to do with your club drop in with some ITK they've heard (and there's no obvious wind up angle) there's usually a bit of substance to it. 

I was told by someone involved in football at that level that EK paid in the region of £7k for a player from St Cadoc's. And I'm sure Mick Kennedy's Darvel paid a five figure free (so 10k, let's be honest) for Ross Meechan.

Given that Gray is proven at a far higher level than the St Cadoc's guy and has a higher ceiling and more resale value than Meechan, I'd be expecting a fairly healthy fee. EK clearly have the dough to pay a fair price. And there's not a hope in hell that we'd turn down any form of reasonable offer.

6 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I don’t think it’s a particularly tough call. Sure we want to have a reputation for developing players and helping to further their career if it transpires that they are good enough, but not at the expense of receiving fair compensation for doing so; and certainly not rolling over to some Lowland league mob, or anyone else for that matter.

If clubs want our promising players and they are under contract, they have to meet our valuation. If that can’t happen then it can go to tribunal and they’ll decide what is fair. We owe players no apologies for looking after club interests first though.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was told by someone involved in football at that level that EK paid in the region of £7k for a player from St Cadoc's. And I'm sure Mick Kennedy's Darvel paid a five figure free (so 10k, let's be honest) for Ross Meechan.

Given that Gray is proven at a far higher level than the St Cadoc's guy and has a higher ceiling and more resale value than Meechan, I'd be expecting a fairly healthy fee. EK clearly have the dough to pay a fair price. And there's not a hope in hell that we'd turn down any form of reasonable offer.

It may be the case that EK are the only team willing or able to pay a fee of any sort. The peri peri pound was used significantly at Darvel and I’m sure EK won’t be shy in throwing money around too.

I know Montrose paid a fee for Hester but who realistically in L1 or L2 is paying fees for players? If QoS are the only ones interested but unwilling to pay then it may well be he needs to drop down if he wants to go.

20 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I cant confirm or deny just how much EK 9ffered.

Or how much Dumbar15on apparantly wanted.

Hope situation is ironed out, Sons fans are a decent bunch

Good stuff, glad we aren’t just bending over. If we can cash about 12k of that “chicken” money then that would be lovely.

If Gray's meant to be a Dumbarton fan, then throwing the toys out the pram comes across even more poorly than your average Joe doing it.

He's a good player, but MUST learn to release the ball more quickly when he goes on those great runs. It worked in the 3-1 at Stenny against the most hopeless defending, but numerous other times he undid his great work by not picking out a teammate and just running into traffic.

Edited by FifeSons

My insider sources/fish counter at Morrisons/Carlos Lyon inform me that Finlay knows nothing about interest from EK, and has no desire to drop down a level. If he's going to move it'll only be up a league, and that doesn't look likely this summer any more.

Which is kind of what I thought. He strikes me as a very focused, determined type. And the other players in the squad had nothing but good things to say about him last year. 

Another good season with us and he'll have his pick of clubs next year.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

My insider sources/fish counter at Morrisons/Carlos Lyon inform me that Finlay knows nothing about interest from EK, and has no desire to drop down a level. If he's going to move it'll only be up a league, and that doesn't look likely this summer any more.

Which is kind of what I thought. He strikes me as a very focused, determined type. And the other players in the squad had nothing but good things to say about him last year. 

Another good season with us and he'll have his pick of clubs next year.

Carlos is always good for a scoop!

I'd like to apologise to those previously offended.

We're now moving on and progressing into 2023/24 

So let's stick together and move forward . 

Aaron lynas has been a warrior and should be awarded the responsibility to lead our team as captain for the new season. Followed by our captain clean sheets "brent long " . 

13 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Apparently he’s unhappy we didn’t let him leave for QOS, which is tough shit. Contracts work both ways, we couldn’t just punt him if we wanted to without paying him off, and I am in no doubt if a suitable offer was received we’d let him leave. Clearly that hasn’t happened yet. Again if Finlay Gray doesn’t want to work under the manager anymore then tough shit, no one forced him into signing a contract. Again, if he wants to earn more elsewhere, you guessed it - tough shit, until we receive an offer we deem acceptable he’ll just need to suck it up, we’re not a boys club or a charity who are here to help develop a player and let them leave for peanuts/nothing when they decide they want to earn more elsewhere.

Unhappy players and squad harmony go hand in hand, and the last thing we need is an unhappy player on the books. If we receive a suitable offer I wouldn’t think twice about accepting it. 

8 hours ago, OKsons2020 said:

I'd like to apologise to those previously offended.

We're now moving on and progressing into 2023/24 

So let's stick together and move forward . 

Aaron lynas has been a warrior and should be awarded the responsibility to lead our team as captain for the new season. Followed by our captain clean sheets "brent long " . 

Mark Durnan is the new captain and Sean Crighton is vice-captain. Was up on social media the other day.

https://twitter.com/Dumbartonfc/status/1672205342703222784?t=yHSQRuENOjxVmpsXWA4GwQ&s=19