Sons' sorrow

36 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We really need this Dundee game like a hole in the head and it's to be hoped there are no more injuries picked up.  Hilton and Pignatiello should be back fairly soon but there are concerns over Callum Wilson, Byrne and now Orsi and Malcolm.  It could be some time before we get our best team on the park, and a decent bench to back it up.  Aron Lynas also looked to be limping at time up.

Injury/illness wise Jinky should be back for Dundee. Carlo won't be back until the league starts, but should be fit for the first game of it. Byrne is 5-6 weeks away with a small tear in his Achilles so he won't be back. Kalvin should be fine for the league starting and Callum Wilson should be back playing by September. Albeit without a pre-season behind him. I'd like to think we'll see Finlay Gray again soon too.

We've really had no luck at all in this competition. Even when we have a decent sized squad available for once they are dropping like flies.

Imo a large part of it is down to how early it starts. A week of pre season games and then the full blooded competitive stuff starts. It doesn't seem long enough for players to get their bodies up to full match readiness. I'd happily see us forfeit the Dundee game and take the extra time to get the guys rested up. It's a shame that isn't an option!

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Injury/illness wise Jinky should be back for Dundee. Carlo won't be back until the league starts, but should be fit for the first game of it. Byrne is 5-6 weeks away with a small tear in his Achilles so he won't be back. Kalvin should be fine for the league starting and Callum Wilson should be back playing by September. Albeit without a pre-season behind him. I'd like to think we'll see Finlay Gray again soon too.

We've really had no luck at all in this competition. Even when we have a decent sized squad available for once they are dropping like flies.

Imo a large part of it is down to how early it starts. A week of pre season games and then the full blooded competitive stuff starts. It doesn't seem long enough for players to get their bodies up to full match readiness. I'd happily see us forfeit the Dundee game and take the extra time to get the guys rested up. It's a shame that isn't an option!

Can we not just get Luca and the rest of the 20’s to play?

Injuries a worry and as others said was noticeable second half we lost that energy and quality.

Impressive first half love lynas can see his class. Ruth has plenty of trickery when taking a man on with confidence can be a player.

When all fit definitely have a good side this year so here's hoping.

Dundee game not ideal though 

6 hours ago, George Parr said:

It’s not panic stations by any means but having so many players (7?) injured before the season has even started is hardly ideal. 

Sound like you have similar issues to ourselves.

If they're expecting teams to play 4 competitive games before the league starts then they should at least explore the possibility of allowing trailists.

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

imo a large part of it is down to how early it starts. A week of pre season games and then the full blooded competitive stuff starts. It doesn't seem long enough for players to get their bodies up to full match readiness.

This is a very good point. Would be interesting to see the injury rate before and after this format was introduced.

13 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Byrne is 5-6 weeks away with a small tear in his Achilles so he won't be back.

I said last season that Byrne would’ve been one of the first out the door for me and this is exactly why. He’s a good player but we simply cannot afford to be paying a guy a wage who misses more games than he’s fit for. It sounds harsh as I do like him as a player but his injury record is terrible.

Enjoyed that yesterday. The new signings and style are a breath of fresh air. Lynas, Crichton, Durnan, Blair, Broun, McLean, Ruth all impressed. Lynas probably my MOTM. As all others have said; injuries and early season starts left us dead on our feet and without the depth to make changes. I can see that new attacking style paying off once the 'real' stuff starts and hopefully the goals should come.

Bonnyrigg were abject and looked as overweight and unfit as I mentioned last season. The number of unforced errors they made was astonishing and I found myself laughing out loud at their ineptitude about a dozen times. If I have a criticism of Sons' performance to counter my positivity above, it's that we really should be scoring against such poor opposition. For all the predictions that various clubs' fans have made, Elgin and Clyde will really have to be rotten to finish below Rose, who's unfitness, lack of ability to do the most basic ball control and passing, reminds me of the bad old days of Division 3 when the likes of ourselves, Shire, Forfar and QP were battling it out for 10th and the players/football quality was that poor all the time. But that kind of (lack of) quality of football was around 20 years ago and Rose look well off the modern fitness and ability levels. As they did last season, too.

44 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Enjoyed that yesterday. The new signings and style are a breath of fresh air. Lynas, Crichton, Durnan, Blair, Broun, McLean, Ruth all impressed. Lynas probably my MOTM. As all others have said; injuries and early season starts left us dead on our feet and without the depth to make changes. I can see that new attacking style paying off once the 'real' stuff starts and hopefully the goals should come.

Bonnyrigg were abject and looked as overweight and unfit as I mentioned last season. The number of unforced errors they made was astonishing and I found myself laughing out loud at their ineptitude about a dozen times. If I have a criticism of Sons' performance to counter my positivity above, it's that we really should be scoring against such poor opposition. For all the predictions that various clubs' fans have made, Elgin and Clyde will really have to be rotten to finish below Rose, who's unfitness, lack of ability to do the most basic ball control and passing, reminds me of the bad old days of Division 3 when the likes of ourselves, Shire, Forfar and QP were battling it out for 10th and the players/football quality was that poor all the time. But that kind of (lack of) quality of football was around 20 years ago and Rose look well off the modern fitness and ability levels. As they did last season, too.

I wouldn't be quite as enthusiastic as that.  Bonnyrigg were indeed poor for the first hour but they looked the more likely team in the closing stages, and it was significant that when our midfield tired and the press ceased our back line did not look nearly as comfortable when the Rose forwards chased them down.

The lack of subs was obviously a factor and Bonnyrigg were boosted by having a full deck.  In saying that we did create enough openings, but Durnan rattling the bar apart we didn't work the keeper nearly enough.  Frustration took hold and too many wrong choices were made in the final third.

Early days though and the real stuff starts on August 5th.  Whether or not Bonnyrigg still have the look of a junior team it will still be a difficult fixture.  However, if we can get Carlo, Jinky, Kalvin Orsi and Finlay Gray restored that would be a great help.

And I agree totally with BBPF on Declan Byrne; the guy has had wretched luck but we can't get into another Rory Loy or Denny Johnstone scenario.

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I wouldn't be quite as enthusiastic as that.  Bonnyrigg were indeed poor for the first hour but they looked the more likely team in the closing stages, and it was significant that when our midfield tired and the press ceased our back line did not look nearly as comfortable when the Rose forwards chased them down.

The lack of subs was obviously a factor and Bonnyrigg were boosted by having a full deck.  In saying that we did create enough openings, but Durnan rattling the bar apart we didn't work the keeper nearly enough.  Frustration took hold and too many wrong choices were made in the final third.

Early days though and the real stuff starts on August 5th.  Whether or not Bonnyrigg still have the look of a junior team it will still be a difficult fixture.  However, if we can get Carlo, Jinky, Kalvin Orsi and Finlay Gray restored that would be a great help.

And I agree totally with BBPF on Declan Byrne; the guy has had wretched luck but we can't get into another Rory Loy or Denny Johnstone scenario.

It's definitely still early season for them also, but my main takeaway from their performance was that they look as fat, slow and useless as they did mid season last term. Had that been a League game in a few months time when both teams are at full sharpness and with full squads to choose from, I've no doubt we win that.

Byrne has goals in him, but sadly he's made of chocolate.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

I wasn’t overly impressed with Bonnyrigg at all, especially in the first half. They looked better in the 2nd half when they replaced big Capaldi with Faye who looks a much better option up front and gave them a bit of a focal point. 

I’d have to agree it’s disappointing we didn’t score but as OKI says we didn’t work the keeper nearly enough, despite some of our nice play. 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I wasn’t overly impressed with Bonnyrigg at all, especially in the first half. They looked better in the 2nd half when they replaced big Capaldi with Faye who looks a much better option up front and gave them a bit of a focal point. 

I’d have to agree it’s disappointing we didn’t score but as OKI says we didn’t work the keeper nearly enough, despite some of our nice play

I mentioned that to my nephew as well. McLean had a shot on target, a header on target, Durnan hit the bar, Wilson had a shot on target and we had loads blocked or off target (Gregg Wylde recreating his miss from Tuesday twice, once by being ahead of the ball, once by skying it). The shots we had on target were all easy takes for Martin and we'll need to improve our finishing to make the most of the new playing style.

Shame Blair's attempt at a wonder goal never went in.

Edited by Sweet Pete

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think this has been mentioned yet but that second Bonnyrigg penalty miss was hilariously bad. Just a complete sclaf that you'd see in U12s football. 

I wasn't there yesterday and thought "it can't be that bad". I stand corrected.

4 hours ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Also was interesting is faz’s interview about FG being away with health issues , hopefully he’s back soon . Think a lot of people thought he was maybe pushing for the move 

Sorry I disagree, Finlay missing again stinks of not wanting to play so he’s not cup tied. If he has indeed thrown the toys out the pram then we should cash in on whatever offer QoS or anyone else makes and move on. Hanging onto him, paying him a wage when he doesn’t want to be here is stupidity from us

4 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Sorry I disagree, Finlay missing again stinks of not wanting to play so he’s not cup tied. If he has indeed thrown the toys out the pram then we should cash in on whatever offer QoS or anyone else makes and move on. Hanging onto him, paying him a wage when he doesn’t want to be here is stupidity from us

Aye, that's fine in principle, but no way should DFC be accepting a pittance.  If QoS or anyone else seek to sign the player then they should make an offer sufficient to conclude a deal.  It's quite simple, and Dumbarton will not stand in the lad's way.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Where are these rumours about Gray coming from? Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to break someone's confidence, but are they coming from a reputable source, or is it merely supposition?

Any information I’ve shared has been from a reputable source and absolutely not speculation or guesswork. If Farrell says he now has health issues I’ll not be posting anything else on the matter and wish him the best in getting better. I reckon everyone should probably just wait to see how it plays out. 

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye, that's fine in principle, but no way should DFC be accepting a pittance.  If QoS or anyone else seek to sign the player then they should make an offer sufficient to conclude a deal.  It's quite simple, and Dumbarton will not stand in the lad's way.

I agree to an extent. However, should they offer £x and we say no. We’re stuck with a player who A. Won’t play or B. Plays half arsed. Or we can accept £x which whatever it is is better than nothing, and free up his wage for someone who will bolster the squad. We’re already carrying a load of injuries so could do with players to be available! We can have a value we want for him but he’s only worth what someone’s willing to pay! I suppose we may be getting a raw deal as potential buyers may well know our current financial predicament and hope to get him on the cheap!
In reality getting a fee is brilliant for us, who was the last player we got a fee for? Neil Collins

Yes we will get a development fee if his contract ends but we’ve sat paying him for 12 months to do he haw! 

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I agree to an extent. However, should they offer £x and we say no. We’re stuck with a player who A. Won’t play or B. Plays half arsed. Or we can accept £x which whatever it is is better than nothing, and free up his wage for someone who will bolster the squad. We’re already carrying a load of injuries so could do with players to be available! We can have a value we want for him but he’s only worth what someone’s willing to pay! I suppose we may be getting a raw deal as potential buyers may well know our current financial predicament and hope to get him on the cheap!
In reality getting a fee is brilliant for us, who was the last player we got a fee for? Neil Collins

Yes we will get a development fee if his contract ends but we’ve sat paying him for 12 months to do he haw! 

What if they offered £1,000? Would you be happy to accept that?