Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, Victor mcdade said:

No point shouting for the manager to go, it is not going to happen.

What should be happening is us seeing a half decent goalkeeper be signed.  Complete negligence going with Broun, he is nowhere near the level required to be a number 1.

Anyone noticed bold feasby has fair become the number 1 cheerleader since he got the role of looking after the ball boys?  He was number 1 heckler for years, constantly screaming nonsense and losing the rag.

Gets him closer to his hero Farrell

CAAAAAMMMM ONNNN

bona fide nutjob 

It's interesting how drastically weaker the squad looks when you take out Long and Durnan. I wonder if we overestimated the strength of squad depth (though I know centre-half always looked a concern). I remember thinking earlier in the season how strong the subs bench looked. We've got too many guys who are passengers or perma-crocked (MacLean and Byrne, respectively, come to mind). Even Orsi needs to contribute a lot more in terms of end-product (as much I like him as a player). Reinforcements are definitely needed and a few moved on, otherwise that gap with 5th place is going to narrow very quickly.

Edited by FifeSons

37 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

It's interesting how drastically weaker the squad looks when you take out Long and Durnan.

Long I agree with, especially now it’s fairly clear his replacement isn’t really up to the task. Obviously that could be rectified to some extent by signing a replacement but that wont be happening now unfortunately. 

Durnan being out causes a whole host of issues purely because we don’t have a single centre back to come in and replace him. We are now required to perform a complete reshuffle on a weekly basis that involves playing players out of position which makes his absence a much bigger issue than it needs to be. It was clear as day from the very start that the main problem we had with this squad was a lack of backup in that position. Durnan has had bad injury problems in the past so to go into the season with zero backup was always going to bite us massively in the arse.

18 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Long I agree with, especially now it’s fairly clear his replacement isn’t really up to the task. Obviously that could be rectified to some extent by signing a replacement but that wont be happening now unfortunately. 

Durnan being out causes a whole host of issues purely because we don’t have a single centre back to come in and replace him. We are now required to perform a complete reshuffle on a weekly basis that involves playing players out of position which makes his absence a much bigger issue than it needs to be. It was clear as day from the very start that the main problem we had with this squad was a lack of backup in that position. Durnan has had bad injury problems in the past so to go into the season with zero backup was always going to bite us massively in the arse.

Wasn't it also Durnan who's a firefighter and was potentially going to miss a number of games as a result? Makes the lack of back-up at centre-half even stranger.

I think the main takeaway from the discussions of the last few days is that it appears that there will be no drawdown of monies from the Cup tie for bolstering the playing squad.

Whilst that obviously isn't helpful in itself given the current injury situation, the bigger concern might be what that indicates about the state of the club's finances and obligations.

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think the main takeaway from the discussions of the last few days is that it appears that there will be no drawdown of monies from the Cup tie for bolstering the playing squad.

Whilst that obviously isn't helpful in itself given the current injury situation, the bigger concern might be what that indicates about the state of the club's finances and obligations.

On that note, it was good to get an email from the Trust this morning outlining the timeline for electing a new representative to the club board. It's obviously not a silver bullet (far from it) but getting a fan representative back on the board (assuming they are accepted...) would be a positive step back to where we should be off the park.

40 minutes ago, kenrobell said:

Any one see latest video from spfl covering match day in behind the scenes …. Two trays donuts in changing rooms for the players utter embarrassment 

Theres a joke about Paddy O'Neills wages in there but I won't be the one to make it. 

1 hour ago, kenrobell said:

Any one see latest video from spfl covering match day in behind the scenes …. Two trays donuts in changing rooms for the players utter embarrassment 

They are part-time players refuelling after burning 100s of calories during a game. No big deal IMO. 

If they were tanning into pizza and doughnuts before a game then fair enough but if they are going to eat shite (which they will of course) then 5pm on a Saturday afternoon is the best time to do it.

42 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

They are part-time players refuelling after burning 100s of calories during a game. No big deal IMO. 

If they were tanning into pizza and doughnuts before a game then fair enough but if they are going to eat shite (which they will of course) then 5pm on a Saturday afternoon is the best time to do it.

That’s your opinion I’d agree if it was juniors but it’s spfl and we all go on a about the culture for football in this country for me all players should be looking to be athletes … then maybe they would go onto be full time elsewhere rather than being at part time for me it start with the manager 

Just now, kenrobell said:

That’s your opinion I’d agree if it was juniors but it’s spfl and we all go on a about the culture for football in this country for me all players should be looking to be athletes … then maybe they would go onto be full time elsewhere rather than being at part time for me it start with the manager 

Almost every club at every level will do a carb refuel after a game eating stuff like pizza. As someone who spends a lot of time hanging about outside dressing rooms after games almost every side will get a load of pizzas delivered. I have to stand, usually hungry, smelling them whilst I wait for players to do post-match. It's murder.

As BBPF says, if they are tanning a pizza and a box of Krispy Kreme pre-match then that's an issue. But I'm sure that's not the case. Above all else, tanning a pizza and running about for 90 minutes afterwards is just really unpleasant.

Faz is massively into sports science and all the players are (or at least were last season) on strict meal plans working with the sports scientist.

For info, this is Barcelona's post-match meals from a few years back.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24896935/barcelona-post-match-meals-ronaldo-messi/amp/

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Almost every club at every level will do a carb refuel after a game eating stuff like pizza. As someone who spends a lot of time hanging about outside dressing rooms after games almost every side will get a load of pizzas delivered. I have to stand, usually hungry, smelling them whilst I wait for players to do post-match. It's murder.

As BBPF says, if they are tanning a pizza and a box of Krispy Kreme pre-match then that's an issue. But I'm sure that's not the case. Above all else, tanning a pizza and running about for 90 minutes afterwards is just really unpleasant.

Faz is massively into sports science and all the players are (or at least were last season) on strict meal plans working with the sports scientist.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24896935/barcelona-post-match-meals-ronaldo-messi/amp/

As someone who cannot stomach pizza - flavoured chipboard - and boaks at the thought of a sickly bun doused in fire extinguisher foam I'm more concerned at the mince that preceded it.

20 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Theirs a Difference between getting a bowl  of chicken pasta (carbs) and firing into glazed donuts …. And how do we know it wasn’t eaten before the game should have never even been in the vicinity until after the game 

9 minutes ago, kenrobell said:

Theirs a Difference between getting a bowl  of chicken pasta (carbs) and firing into glazed donuts …. And how do we know it wasn’t eaten before the game should have never even been in the vicinity until after the game 

Probably not a huge difference between a doughnut and a Nutella sandwich though. And I'd like to think a group of 20 something year old men would be able to be trusted in a room with some sweet treats. They aren't toddlers.

Like I said, the players had meal plans last season and will do again this year. I had a chat with our sports scientist at the time about it. Most players are also fitness obsessives; and I don't think you can complain about the conditioning of this squad at all. They are a physically impressive bunch.

I think there's plenty to get our knickers in a twist about; the goalkeeping situation, our lack of centre-halves, the pitch, the ownership, tactical decisions. This really isn't worth it imo.

2 hours ago, kenrobell said:

Think your being a bit dramatic and looking for an excuse to stick the boot in. It was clearly stated in the video that they were a post match treat for someone’s birthday. Far from embarrassing. As others have said it’s common for players to have pizza etc to refuel.  
They are all PT players after all, they not allowed a treat now and again or have they all to live on a Juice plus diet?

I realise this isn't football related but Usain Bolt reportedly ate 100 McNuggets a day during the Beijing Olympics and won 3 gold medals. The point being footballers will always know their bodies best and what it takes to perform. See also Garry Fleming and his diet although the athletic ability between those 2 may be different.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with players having a doughnut or two after a game on a saturday. God knows how you’d react if you knew they had pizza too (so did the Rangers B team when they ground shared with us, and so do the Scotland teams that use the stadium FWIW).

All athletes carb/calorie load after a competitive game, it helps them recover quicker for their next training session and as long it is balanced there is absolutely zero issue. A post game treat is the norm across the board and I’d wager that all of our players live a relatively clean lifestyle compared to me or you. 

2 trays of donuts is 24 donuts, so probably one for each player and the staff take the rest. There's 195 calories in a donut. Footballers at our level will burn around 1500 calories a match. Even if they were having them before the game (and they aren't) it would be completely fine. I'm not sure this is a hill to die on.