Sons' sorrow

57 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

I was thinking the other day about how you would summarise Farrell’s tenure in terms of successes, and came to the conclusion that you’d find it pretty difficult to find any notable achievements in terms of results on the park, progression in cup competitions, wins against the odds etc. Ultimately he’s led us to relegation and pretty mediocre seasons have followed, particularly when you balance that with my second point.

Which is that the one positive our could argue is that generally speaking his recruitment has been consistently good. Sure there’s been a few bombscares along the way and deals offered to Byrne is an example of a gamble that won’t always pay off at our level, but retaining Gray and recruiting the likes of Long, Carlo, Shiels, Ruth and Orsi are examples of very good business in my view. I think it’s clear his recruitment and man management is good, which largely puts more expectation on results and that’s where it’s simply not working for Faz.

Agree with almost all of this, though is his man management really that good? It’s been widely known about problems in the dressing room at the end of the last two seasons. He also fell out with Geggan mid-season and had some weird issue with Gray at the start of this.

Edited by FifeSons

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye, up to a point Your Honour.  We will now see out this season with three loanees in Hogarth, Newbury and Lennon, and whilst the first two look very decent for this level, and hopefully young Lennon too, I doubt any of them will be here next season.

To be fair, whilst Farrell’s recruitment has been mainly good my main criticism would be that he has never really taken advantage of the loan market. All of our successful squads in the Championship had a few loan signings in them and they have tended to be some of our best players over the years. I don’t have an issue with chopping guys who aren’t contributing for guys who wont be here next year. 

Whilst the recruitment has been good, everything else has been pish and he should’ve been bagged nearly 2 seasons ago.

26 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Taking everything into account over the past three seasons I would consider that finishing in the top four but remaining in League Two come May should not preclude an urgent review of the team management.

Agreed, but that's not going to happen. With a year left on his contract, I imagine at best he'll be told it's promotion or bust next season.

21 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Agree with almost all of this, though is his man management really that good? It’s been widely known about problems in the dressing room at the end of the last two season. He also fell out with Geggan mid-season and had some weird issue with Gray at the start of this.

Harry Broun also appears to have been promised things the manager hasn't kept, and is leaving in a cream puff as a result. 

On his man management, how many players do we feel he is currently getting the maximum potential from on the pitch?

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Harry Broun also appears to have been promised things the manager hasn't kept, and is leaving in a cream puff as a result. 

On his man management, how many players do we feel he is currently getting the maximum potential from on the pitch?

Yep, he's clearly made a pig's ear of that. That said, I'm sure we'd all rather he pissed off Broun than stuck with him.

Really need 3 points on Saturday, and expect a good deal of unrest if we don't get it. Folk will look at Elgin's league position and think that's a game we should be winning, which I agree with to an extent, but as I've mentioned before, their home record is excellent. Excellent home form or not, though, people will be very unhappy if we go yet another league game without a win, and with Stenny away the following week, it's not getting any easier.

Edited by FifeSons

49 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I commend you for coming forward and the board absolutely needs someone with a younger demographic. I also appreciate you being open on here and looking to answer queations. However for me by far the biggest issue at the club is ownership and right now nobody on the board is asking questions of the ownerships plan for the club. Improving bar facilities is great, so is increasing community engagement but neither of those things matter if there isn't a club here to support, and for that reason I feel ownership issues should be the number 1 priority for any Trust rep on the board. So I suppose my question would be do you feel confident and comfortable enough to challenge the ownership on these issues despite the family connection? 

Short answer - I would be totally confident in asking questions and challenging our current ownership model.

I agree that the ownership issues are very important and something I would be looking to get more public transparency on especially their future plans. I believe some of the trust board have had meetings with Cognitive representatives and I would encourage that to continue regardless of having a board director as the more people involved the better.

What I would say is a strong well run club with great ties to the community generating their own income and not being reliant to owners has massive positives to it.

23 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Agreed, but that's not going to happen. With a year left on his contract, I imagine at best he'll be told it's promotion or bust next season.

Which begs the question why wasn't that the criteria this season, or maybe it was and it's been watered down.  And contracts can always be renegotiated, on the assumption that there was no agreed review clause.

But if it turns out as you suggest I expect a few people will find other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

5 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

What I would say is a strong well run club with great ties to the community generating their own income and not being reliant to owners has massive positives to it.

That's the dream but afaik, the club aren't reliant on the owners as they put nothing in and don't contribute to the day to day running of the club.

5 minutes ago, microdave said:

That's the dream but afaik, the club aren't reliant on the owners as they put nothing in and don't contribute to the day to day running of the club.

I believe that to be the case as well but atm we seem to be just getting by.  We now need to work towards building a solid structure and getting revenue coming in from different areas to support the playing front but also to improve other areas or have a little in reserve for a rainy day. 

Love it or hate it. BUT an Astro surface financed through grant applications has to be a priority for the board. 

This generates income. Cuts down on hiring a training pitch during the week. Maybe the 1st team might like to train in Glasgow, but making that once in Glasgow, once in Dumbarton could be the difference between getting a player on board for the season.

Local clubs spend thousands on pitches every year. Just maybe they'd like to hire the pitch. Parents would love to sit under the covers while watching the kids train. No other pitch locally would have that.

Mon the Sons

14 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

Love it or hate it. BUT an Astro surface financed through grant applications has to be a priority for the board. 

This generates income. Cuts down on hiring a training pitch during the week. Maybe the 1st team might like to train in Glasgow, but making that once in Glasgow, once in Dumbarton could be the difference between getting a player on board for the season.

Local clubs spend thousands on pitches every year. Just maybe they'd like to hire the pitch. Parents would love to sit under the covers while watching the kids train. No other pitch locally would have that.

Mon the Sons

We’ve already been promised that by the board for next season, so I’m absolutely 100% convinced that it will most definitely happen…

15 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

We’ve already been promised that by the board for next season, so I’m absolutely 100% convinced that it will most definitely happen…

I believe there may be a delay as ultra-narrow plastic pitches need to be custom-made in China.  Expect it to arrive on the new MV Sannox.

On 22/01/2024 at 23:35, Sweet Pete said:

Ultimately, whomsoever the Trust person on the DFC board is will have absolutely zero impact on stadium size or the league the club occupies. These are all just empty words to try and get votes, but ultimately carrying out these promises is nigh on impossible. Maybe getting better electronic payment terminals is possible, but most of the other suggestions aren't things a trust nominee to the board would have the power or ability to provide. They can suggest things, but when the answer comes back "no money for that" or "we'll look into it" then that's where the matter dies.

I agree entirely with your post here Pete, but I've greenied you solely for the use of the word "whomsoever", which brought a smile to my face in a world where most folk appear to be illiterate.

It's probably my age. (Yours too).

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

I agree entirely with your post here Pete, but I've greenied you solely for the use of the word "whomsoever", which brought a smile to my face in a world where most folk appear to be illiterate.

It's probably my age. (Yours too).

How dare you?! I'm just a sprightly young thing in early middle age...

18 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Did the board ever actually mention this themselves? As far as I can remember, it was just the new investor guy Paul that brought this up. Could be wrong.

1 hour ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Where Declan Byrne off to lads

I was thinking he'd probably be quite useful in the Lowland League assuming he could stay fit. Which means he'll somehow end up signing for someone in league 1...

Edited by Clarko_son