Sons' sorrow

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It really cannot be understated just how shit we are right now. 

I don't think anyone who has been watching us since December could disagree with that.  And the worse the run goes, the more ragged it gets - even the better performers like Carlo, Ryan W, Finlay and Mikey Ruth are struggling, and the departure of Matty Shiels has been much more significant than most of us anticipated.

As of this morning, there are now three teams seven points behind us with another a further point behind.  We are still to play all of them and within that group are East Fife and Elgin, both of whom are now a very different proposition indeed.

It is far from certain that we will finish in fourth place and I would hope that whoever is in charge of football at Dumbarton is now actively considering all scenarios, including that one.  The only certainty is that Stranraer will visit the Rock on Saturday with little fear.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't think anyone who has been watching us since December could disagree with that.  And the worse the run goes, the more ragged it gets - even the better performers like Carlo, Ryan W, Finlay and Mikey Ruth are struggling, and the departure of Matty Shiels has been much more significant than most of us anticipated.

As of this morning, there are now three teams seven points behind us with another a further point behind.  We are still to play all of them and within that group are East Fife and Elgin, both of whom are now a very different proposition indeed.

It is far from certain that we will finish in fourth place and I would hope that whoever is in charge of football at Dumbarton is now actively considering all scenarios, including that one.  The only certainty is that Stranraer will visit the Rock on Saturday with little fear.

If we don't beat Stranraer, which I see no evidence to suggest we will, I think we'll be out of the top 4 once we've played Spartans on 16th March. Not convinced we'll take a single point from the next four games after Saturday. Fans, myself very much included, love to overreact to single results, but that Clyde defeat last week feels a lot like 'not winning another game the rest of this season' territory. I often point to that 2-0 defeat at East Fife being the moment we were done in L1 and I think the Clyde game feels like that for this season. I think this manager and group of players (while under him) are absolutely done.

And for that group to not even make the playoffs would be criminal.

Edited by FifeSons

Saturday is must win. If we close out February having won 2 league games in 3 months then I fear that things will ramp up and become properly nasty. I can see crowds dropping even further and criticism becoming far more vocal.

We need to win.

As for OK3's remark about the running of football matters within the club, I suspect that the answer to that is Stevie Farrell. I'm massively concerned by our club board. The handing out of new contracts to Durnan and Wilson are not the decisions of a board making sound decisions.

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Saturday is must win. If we close out February having won 2 league games in 3 months then I fear that things will ramp up and become properly nasty. I can see crowds dropping even further and criticism becoming far more vocal.

We need to win.

As for OK3's remark about the running of football matters within the club, I suspect that the answer to that is Stevie Farrell. I'm massively concerned by our club board. The handing out of new contracts to Durnan and Wilson are not the decisions of a board making sound decisions.

Have I missed something? When was Wilson given a new contract?

12 minutes ago, Grumpysonoftherock said:

Have I missed something? When was Wilson given a new contract?

Think he means Greig Young. That said, wouldn't shock me if Wilson is also signed for next season.

Edited by FifeSons

I thought I'd read that Div had a contract extension. It was on here, but that was referring to his 2 year deal in April 2023. Same concern though - why did Div deserve a 2 year deal last April?

Young I can almost agree with. Young guy at the start of his career. Season ending injury. That we're standing by him by offering the extension feels like a decent thing to do and portrays the club in a good light. But it's massively risky and we could be looking at a player who doesn't come back as good as he'd shown pre-injury.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I thought I'd read that Div had a contract extension. It was on here, but that was referring to his 2 year deal in April 2023. Same concern though - why did Div deserve a 2 year deal last April?

Young I can almost agree with. Young guy at the start of his career. Season ending injury. That we're standing by him by offering the extension feels like a decent thing to do and portrays the club in a good light. But it's massively risky and we could be looking at a player who doesn't come back as good as he'd shown pre-injury.

Div signed a two year extension last April, so aye he's under contract for next season too

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/new-deal-for-div/

17 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

There’s nothing stopping DU or Riverside individually or collectively applying to take over a facility in the area. 

Last comment as I don't wish to derail from even bigger issues at DFC! (And the vote is this afternoon, its more than likely a foregone conclusion. Given the Labour majority and the apparent rush to bypass proper process with this one - added to an emergency meeting agenda at the close of play on Friday for today)

to the above- They have and were, as existing anchor tenants they been working for years to try and take it over. Talks were ongoing with the council about sharing the funding on adding 2 small sided pitches beside the existing one until this bombshell dropped on Friday. As far as I understand it doesn't really make financial sense - the numbers just don't add up even with applying for all sorts of SFA / Community and other grants available to the 2 clubs. So if the 2 biggest community clubs in Dumbarton with 100s of monthly memberships fees cant make it work, forgive the scepticism that an Amateur or WOS team can. They are refusing to comment further or provide details, so it looks like they haven done any sort of due diligence or have any sort of detailed plan other than lets get in the WOSFL.  

On 17/02/2024 at 22:05, FifeSons said:

Expecting another club statement about it.

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/club-statement-3/

:lol: knew Dr Shipman would do another statement about that!

Surprised it took him and A.Hosie (hiya Andy you massive c**t) this long to cobble it together.

Neil, please give me a ban, so I don’t have to watch this shite while you drive our club into the ground!

Edited by FifeSons

As soon as something they don’t like happens, the communication is there straight away.

Engage with the trust and fans about genuine existential threats to the club’s future? Nah, no chance.

Get the Drake meme out.

Spoiler

To clarify, this statement in isolation would be fine, but it's when they do the above, it just seems like constant attacks on the fans and ignoring issues they find uncomfortable.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

As soon as something they don’t like happens, the communication is there straight away.

Engage with the trust and fans about genuine existential threats to the club’s future? Nah, no chance.

Get the Drake meme out.

Hide contents

To clarify, this statement in isolation would be fine, but it's when they do the above, it just seems like constant attacks on the fans and ignoring issues they find uncomfortable.

Also love how they reference the supporters as if they’re trying to protect us. They’re trying to protect their useless manager who they don’t have the balls to bag.

4 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Also love how they reference the supporters as if they’re trying to protect us. They’re trying to protect their useless manager who they don’t have the balls to bag.

Yeah, that bit is extremely odd, that they've made it sound like a supporter was abused. Unsurprisingly, the Trust's FB post is miles better.