Sons' sorrow

16 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Cheers mate! 

He did indeed. The game where Cammy Ballantyne made one of the best saves I've ever seen :lol:

😂

That rings a bell now. You’ll see a much improved and renovated Gayfield and hopefully a much busier one too the coming season. 

League is shaping up to be decent. Absolutely cannot wait for it to all get going and to end up massively disappointed once again…. 

On another note I notice Ruth been getting rave reviews, I quite liked the guy when he was on loan at us but he only showed flashes and glimpses and also was out wide right or left a lot. Sounds like he’s matured into a decent centre forward. 

On 22/10/2023 at 10:35, BallochSonsFan said:

We don't have a reliable double digit goal scorer in the team - I'm not convinced that Ruth is that striker - and that puts a massive amount of pressure on us not to concede first.

Turns out we didn't have one reliable double digit scorer. We had two ;)

I just hope we don’t hand out contracts to guys who IMO aren’t good enough for the step up. Even if they are under contract I’d rather see both Wilsons, Blair, Malcolm and Lynas move on in the summer. I even have question marks over how Hilton, Crighton and Wallace will handle things in League 1 - as squad players they’d probably do a job. Orsi will be offered a deal but I also think he’ll need to improve certain aspects of his game to cut it in League 1. We have a fair few guys already tied down that wont cut it I’m afraid. 

I’m confident Gray, Ruth, Durnan and Carlo can make the step up no bother but I’d be massively surprised if the first two hang around. Dependable backup at centre back will be hugely important, we can ill afford Durnan getting injured again and going on a run like we did during his absence this season.

Posted (edited)

Gallagher Lennon also deserves a huge mention for how much he’s improved in such a short space of time. If he keeps that development going, he will easily play at a much higher level than L2.

I’m looking forward to trips to Gayfield and Links Park next season. Two teams I love doing well against, due to being a local Angus teuchter.

Edited by FifeSons

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I just hope we don’t hand out contracts to guys who IMO aren’t good enough for the step up. Even if they are under contract I’d rather see both Wilsons, Blair, Malcolm and Lynas move on in the summer. I even have question marks over how Hilton, Crighton and Wallace will handle things in League 1 - as squad players they’d probably do a job. Orsi will be offered a deal but I also think he’ll need to improve certain aspects of his game to cut it in League 1. We have a fair few guys already tied down that wont cut it I’m afraid. 

I’m confident Gray, Ruth, Durnan and Carlo can make the step up no bother but I’d be massively surprised if the first two hang around. Dependable backup at centre back will be hugely important, we can ill afford Durnan getting injured again and going on a run like we did during his absence this season.

Brett Long and Young will be like new signings, too.

It’s no coincidence that the season was saved when Mark Durnan came back into the side.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

He now has the benefit of the doubt. He got us relegated and now he’s got us promoted. So we are now even.

I'd like to see a little more humility than that. The guy has been absolutely battered on here and, by all accounts, taken dogs abuse at games as well.

You can't really just say you are now even. We know football fans are as fickle as they come but Dumbarton have taken that to a new level.

All the doubters should be on their knees apologising to Uncle and swearing their allegiance to him moving forward.

When you get nights like last night it should also be time for personal reflection and there should be a fair number looking rather sheepishly into the mirror for their words on here and at games. 

Will that happen? I won't hold my breathe. You'll do it all again next season and forget this special evening Uncle has provided.

Edited by Neilly

2 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I'd like to see a little more humility than that. The guy has been absolutely battered on here and, by all accounts, taken dogs abuse at games as well.

You can't really just say you are now even. We know football fans are as fickle as they come but Dumbarton have taken that to a new level.

All the doubters should be on their knees apologising to Uncle and swearing their allegiance to him moving forward.

When you get nights like last night it should also be time for personal reflection and there should be a fair number looking rather sheepishly into the mirror for their words on here and at games. 

Will that happen? I won't hold my breathe. You'll do it all again next season and forget this special evening Uncle has provided.

We're all just fine here Neilly, you just concentrate on your next league victory - it's been a while.

8 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I don't think you'll find a Dumbarton fan that didn't want him to be a success. If he does well, the team does well and that's what we all want. However, the relegation and blowing a ten point lead deserved criticism. He's also had plenty of praise on here on the way he's handled the play offs tactically.

16 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I've said for 2 years now that Faz didn't have the minerals to take us up and to be honest I felt largely justified in that feeling until Mark Durnan returned from injury a couple of months back. Michael Ruth is quite rightly taking the plaudits at the moment but Mark Durnan is the guy who has probably held things together for us at the crucial point in the season. I really didn't see it coming for us, it felt like a monkey on Farrells back and with very few of the support still believing in him, I just did not see how we pulled through. But here we are, having booked ourselves a place in League 1 going unbeaten through the play offs and showing some real bollocks about us, not only in aggressiveness and determination, but in tactics and the application of those tactics. So, Nigel, I'll give you what you want - I was wrong. Farrell has proved myself and a number of others wrong and I am absolutely delighted to be sat here typing this.

As for swearing my allegiance to him, not quite. We've said previously that the off field stuff Faz absolutely nails. He's always involved in community stuff, always happy to give people his time and I do believe he works very hard at his job. Ultimately though, this is a results business, and if we are stinking out League 1 after 8 weeks then questions will need asked again about his future. He has failed to keep two separate clubs at League 1 level so we cannot afford sentiment or blind loyalty. I do sincerely hope that he continues to get it right, if he gets the on field stuff right he's the perfect gaffer for us. 

Promotion also shouldn't take the supports mind off what is still a horrendous ownership and board situation, both of which need remedied before any true progress can be made. Well okay, we can take our mind off it for a wee bit...hope everyone enjoys their night tonight, I'm on baby duties so I'll be singing "Sons are going up" on my own.

Absolutely delighted with that. I think we all knew we had a squad of players capable of going up, we just needed it all to come together at the right time. Ruth and Lynas were superb last night, Newbury, Gray and Hilton ran themselves into the ground and big Durnan was colossal. 

A lot of credit has to go to Faz for the business he done in the summer and then in the loan market when we lost guys like Long, Young, Shields, Wallace and MacLean. Newbury and Gallagher have been key players in the playoffs and young Graham played his part.

Looking forward to so many away trips to plastic parks next season.

25 minutes ago, MonTheClyde_MonTheBullyWee said:

congrats to Dumbarton. Was secretly not wanting yous to go up because of @Jan Vojáčektransfer thread, will be missed this summer 🤣

:lol: 

I'll hand over the baton. I've every confidence someone will be able to take it on.