Sons' sorrow

Can't say I'd be overly fussed if Lithgow left. Done well for us over the years but there's better out there.

I really dont think he's good enough for full time football. McGinn on the other hand is, so absolutely delighted we got him, what a coup!

Fair play to him for refusing the deal with St Mirren, seems like a very level headed lad. I'm just gutted we didn't get him on a 2 year deal and could of made some cash out of it.

Happy with the signing of McKerracher as well, mentioned on here a few times that he was the player from the reserves that impressed me the most. Very composed on the ball, likes a tackle and gets a few goals as well. Think he was one of the younger ones in the reserve teams as well, look forward to seeing how he progresses.

Seen him play centre mid, out wide and up front so not really sure what his best position actually is.

Am I the only one that would be happy to see McNiff back in the team? I reckon alongside Graham or Murray he could really come on in the first division. He showed lots of potential when we were promoted from the second division.

Really don't think mcniff is good enough for the 1st Div.

As much as I've enjoyed the signings we've made so far, my major concerns remains that we're heading towards having the same back 5 as last season. A defence which conceded frequently and heavily. We need a new goalkeeper and centre back at least.

Great news that McGinn has re-signed. He was excellent for us last year, and his over-lapping runs and deliveries from that side were immense.

I understand the concerns about our defence looking like largely the same leaky backline from last season, but they're good defenders individually, and I think a good pre-season will benefit them as a unit and in turn make us more resolute.

I'll admit I know next to nothing about McKerracher, but the reviews from folks on here who know more about him seem pretty positive, and I can only echo the comments of those who note that it's great for the team and the club as a whole that we're able to promote a number of players from the U19's to the first-team over the last couple of years.

McNiff wasn't ever that great in the second division, done a reasonable job. Don't think he really stood out in the third with Annan either.

We're going to need far better than that to survive this season.

Wouldn't be against Murray playing there providing he gets fit enough, looking a bit podgy. That being said I'd like to see someone with a wee bit of pace.

It's a great piece of business to get McGinn back on a permanent move. Hopefully he'll build on his form for last season and finally give us a sold right-back. Something we've not had in a while.

I'd have us lining up;

Grindlay

McGinn Graham AN Other Smith

Murray

Gilhaney Turner Agnew McDougall

AN Other

If Murray is looking for a good, solid, experienced pro to shore up our midfield and protect the back line he doesn't have far to look.

We're short of another goalkeeper, centre-half and striker. I'd also say a right midfielder would be a prudent move if budget allowed.

I'd imagine Andy will go to a F/T side in the division.

That said, I'm impressed that we've been able to sign the likes of Smith and McGinn. I know the club will be hoping for a major increase in funding through league reconstruction but I don't see us splashing too much cash. Given the size of our current support, season tickets sales and player sponsorship will only go so far!

Think the kit was a 3 year season job.

Really don't think mcniff is good enough for the 1st Div.

As much as I've enjoyed the signings we've made so far, my major concerns remains that we're heading towards having the same back 5 as last season. A defence which conceded frequently and heavily. We need a new goalkeeper and centre back at least.

Agreed on McNiff, does anyone know if he was any good for Annan? Anyway, I think he'll be loaned out again.

I'm not too bothered about a new goalkeeper, I know we need one at least for the bench but I'm quite happy with someone as back-up to Grindlay. I think if we can sort out what's in front of him then we'll be fine and sorting out what's in front of him doesn't just depend on getting another good centre half. As stated earlier, Gils and MacDougall will need to put in the shifts they were putting in last year but as we seen with MacDougall, it takes its toll. This is why I thought moving to a slightly more protective formation would help us (not dissimilar to Jordo's line up above). Having two sitting midfielders in Turner and another (Murray) allows Gilhaney, MacDougall and Agnew to get up in support of the striker and takes a bit of pressure off them covering the full backs.