Sons' sorrow

Would be nice to get an update on Agnew's injury.

Murray needs to get a new striker and defender in regardless. If Graham or Barry get injured were snookered, Scott Smith is in absolutely no shape to be playing at this level. I'm still not convinced Barry will stay after his loans up, the travelling sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

It baffles me that Scott Smith has come back for pre-season in bad shape. He was a mainstay last season as soon as he signed and put in enough good performances that I was chuffed when he left Hibs and joined us properly. Seems bizarre that he would then rejoin us in poor physical condition. Very strange.

It baffles me that Scott Smith has come back for pre-season in bad shape. He was a mainstay last season as soon as he signed and put in enough good performances that I was chuffed when he left Hibs and joined us properly. Seems bizarre that he would then rejoin us in poor physical condition. Very strange.

Aye, it beggars belief.

If you thought he was bad at pre-season wait til you see him now. Proper belly jiggling when he runs material. He must have been comfort eating during his recent injury.

Aye, it beggars belief.

If you thought he was bad at pre-season wait til you see him now. Proper belly jiggling when he runs material. He must have been comfort eating during his recent injury.

I would just add this to the list of reasons for the immediate reinstatement of the reserve team.

Glad Fleming is playing again, I think that Murray has been putting in the effort and commitment since his return but his psssing has been awful. This has led to giving away the ball in dangerous areas. He is not the only player to go off the boil in the last four games or so. Nish hasn't done enough to start games for me so would like Fleming given thst role.

Has anyone seen anything of McKerracher he was looking useful pre season but I haven't seen anything of him since??

I actually missed the Alloa game through work commitments I should say.

Although nice to hear he's done something good after about 8 games of doing little.

You've seen him in 4 games going by your earlier post of having attended every game since Raith bar Berwick and Alloa (Morton,Livi,QOS and Raith).

Shug has experienced a loss of form since his come back from injury,as the Moonster says he played in 4 of our 5 victories so far. I'm confident with game time he'll return to form. Without him our midfield is too soft,especially with CT much stronger in an attacking role.

Nish is dreadful I'll agree with you there though,honestly as bad a finisher as I've ever seen,up there with Tommy Coyne. Its not just that though,hes 6"5 yet never wins anything in the air and his positional play is dreadful. Prunty and Fleming should be starting upfront next week. I honestly Dont understand how he managed to score so many goals in the SPL (10th top scorer I think!)

I'll leave with a quote from the THHP 'Top 25 Superstars of the lower leagues'

" It would be wrong to simply label him as a mere enforcer – Turner’s aptitude at going forward is equally as strong and the addition of Hugh Murray to the Sons’ defensive roster this year has been a fine move. When fit, Murray allows Turner the freedom to move upfield, and his tally of four goals has already bettered last term’s."

Nish,K.Smith and Phinn will hopefully be away in January, can't see it mind you.

Some interesting and varied thoughts on this topic of late, so I'll add my tuppence-worth too...

I don't think it's coincidental that most of our victories this season have been as a team which fielded Hugh Murray, as mentioned by Moonster. Murray has been very important for us this season, and we really miss him when he doesn't play. We revert to being the side with a soft centre, a midfield who's relatively easy to bully and play over the top of. Hugh Murray has been poorer since his return from injury, but so has the team as a whole. You can shape that comment however you prefer, but for me, we're definitely a much weaker team when Shug doesn't play. He gives us dig and is combative in the middle of the park, something which we all too often lack, and have done for long spells in recent years.

We find ourselves in a bit of a slump just now, and Garry Fleming's return to the squad couldn't be timed better. I'm not one of Nish's harshest critics, albeit I've not seen as much of him as most others have, but even that said, both he and Kevin Smith aren't cutting the mustard at the moment. They're two strikers off the boil and off form, Prunty and Fleming on Saturday is what I'd like to see, albeit Garry might not be ready for a full 90 minutes yet. In that case, I'd give him an hour, and if he tires, make a change from there.

As someone else mentioned, it would be good to know more about Agnew's potential return to the side. As with Murray, we're infinitely poorer without Agnew, and with Turner and Kirkpatrick off form at the moment (as most of the side is to be fair) we could really do with him returning. But who knows? At the moment, perhaps through necessity rather than choice, I'd be satisfied to continue to give Megginson a go. I think some of the criticism he receives on here are fair points, but he is a confidence player. I think when he's been 'on it' he's been an asset, and I'd be inclined to give him a chance again to see if he can show us what he can do when he's on-song.

I couldn't comment on the thoughts of Dumbarton/Aaron Barry/Sheffield United on the travelling, but if he's not likely to get into their side after Christmas, I would be surprised if it wasn't looked on as a positive by all

parties to extend the loan until the end of the season.

Shug was absolutely vital prior to his injury, however since his return he has been almost awful. He's been a passenger in the last few games, adding absolutely nothing, obviously he adds nothing attackingly, because it's not his role, however, he hasn't been putting in tackles either, and can't seem to pass to a team mate.

When Aggy is back, unless his form vastly improves, I expect Shug will be dropped.

Shug was absolutely vital prior to his injury, however since his return he has been almost awful. He's been a passenger in the last few games, adding absolutely nothing, obviously he adds nothing attackingly, because it's not his role, however, he hasn't been putting in tackles either, and can't seem to pass to a team mate.

When Aggy is back, unless his form vastly improves, I expect Shug will be dropped.

I think this is what I'm trying to say also.

I never seen him pre injury so can't comment before that, been poor since then.

Don't think Hugh murray is.the problem. Our main weakness is at centre back and this will be compounded if we lose Barry who is head and shoulders above his fellow centre back.

Nish is marking time before retiring and is much inferior to Fleming who is far more aggressive but is not a natural Target man.

If mcdougall was consistent he would be a great asset. Gilhaney is blowing hot and cold as is meggitson.

Vital that we keep turner as he is a class above any other player in the team . A couple of.new players in january could be vital in staying in this division

Don't think Hugh murray is.the problem. Our main weakness is at centre back and this will be compounded if we lose Barry who is head and shoulders above his fellow centre back.

Nish is marking time before retiring and is much inferior to Fleming who is far more aggressive but is not a natural Target man.

If mcdougall was consistent he would be a great asset. Gilhaney is blowing hot and cold as is meggitson.

Vital that we keep turner as he is a class above any other player in the team . A couple of.new players in january could be vital in staying in this division

Graham > Barry

If a CB reads the game well they don't need pace.

Graham is our most consistent performer IMO, a player we couldn't do without. He's also a fantastic captain who never stops encouraging and talking the team through games.

I know that's what I'm saying.

Aye I like how he's really vocal too.

Some interesting and varied thoughts on this topic of late, so I'll add my tuppence-worth too...

I don't think it's coincidental that most of our victories this season have been as a team which fielded Hugh Murray, as mentioned by Moonster. Murray has been very important for us this season, and we really miss him when he doesn't play. We revert to being the side with a soft centre, a midfield who's relatively easy to bully and play over the top of. Hugh Murray has been poorer since his return from injury, but so has the team as a whole. You can shape that comment however you prefer, but for me, we're definitely a much weaker team when Shug doesn't play. He gives us dig and is combative in the middle of the park, something which we all too often lack, and have done for long spells in recent years.

We find ourselves in a bit of a slump just now, and Garry Fleming's return to the squad couldn't be timed better. I'm not one of Nish's harshest critics, albeit I've not seen as much of him as most others have, but even that said, both he and Kevin Smith aren't cutting the mustard at the moment. They're two strikers off the boil and off form, Prunty and Fleming on Saturday is what I'd like to see, albeit Garry might not be ready for a full 90 minutes yet. In that case, I'd give him an hour, and if he tires, make a change from there.

As someone else mentioned, it would be good to know more about Agnew's potential return to the side. As with Murray, we're infinitely poorer without Agnew, and with Turner and Kirkpatrick off form at the moment (as most of the side is to be fair) we could really do with him returning. But who knows? At the moment, perhaps through necessity rather than choice, I'd be satisfied to continue to give Megginson a go. I think some of the criticism he receives on here are fair points, but he is a confidence player. I think when he's been 'on it' he's been an asset, and I'd be inclined to give him a chance again to see if he can show us what he can do when he's on-song.

I couldn't comment on the thoughts of Dumbarton/Aaron Barry/Sheffield United on the travelling, but if he's not likely to get into their side after Christmas, I would be surprised if it wasn't looked on as a positive by all

parties to extend the loan until the end of the season.

i almost actually agree with you shaky.

Smith/phinn can go

nish i'd persevere with(goals will come)

Megginson always dangerous

murray getting back to fitness.

Barry i'd be trying to keep.

We're not losing as many goals recently but midfield and forward have been poor and not scoring the goals we did last year.

Start fleming with prunts has to be our number one strike force at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on another thread that Barry's apparently away in January.....disappointing, but having worked (and driven to) in Sheffield, its a bit of a trek, so I can understand that he's perhaps fed up with the travelling

I feel he's been pretty decent, but not perhaps as good as I thought he would be....he's very quiet on the pitch. who knows who we'll bring in to replace him though....need someone with some pace

Disappointing that Barry's going but not surprising. The travelling never seemed to affect him on the pitch but you can understand it probably tires him out. I feel he's been a good player for us even if was prone to the odd moment of casual defending. I guess today will be his last game so lets hope we get the win.

It will be interesting to see who we get in but we'll need someone quick.