Sons' sorrow

Before his injury, Hugh Murray was excellent. He kept the midfield solid and broke up the play. However, after his return, I feel he has been poor. He has been backing out of tackles and looks like he just can't be arsed. I may be expecting too much due to him being brilliant earlier in the season, but he certainly hasn't impressed me recently.

This plainly isn't true. There was one moment in the midweek match against Alloa where he went through 3 of their players consecutively - the third of which was a topper of a slide tackle right in front of the dug outs.

He was poor on Saturday though.

What Consolidate said. I've honestly never witnessed him backing out of a tackle, why would he? His whole career he's had the reputation of being a hard tackler and now because he picked up a knock he's worried he's going to get injured again? He may not have had a great game on Saturday or in the last few weeks but our problems aren't with Hugh Murray.

It's amazing that for someone who's been so shite, he's started every game that he has been fit for and been subbed off in 4 games (not including QOS where he went off injured, after beating a defender into a tackle and taking a hit), all of which we've been chasing a goal.

Even more amazing is that out of our 5 wins this season, Hugh Murray has played in 4 of them. The only win we've had without Murray was at Falkirk. It's almost as if he's an important part of the team.

It's amazing that for someone who's been so shite, he's started every game that he has been fit for and been subbed off in 4 games (not including QOS where he went off injured, after beating a defender into a tackle and taking a hit), all of which we've been chasing a goal.  

Even more amazing is that out of our 5 wins this season, Hugh Murray has played in 4 of them.  The only win we've had without Murray was at Falkirk.  It's almost as if he's an important part of the team.

Probably too much of a big name like Nish to not play. He doesn't deserve a start, he offers very very little from the games I have seen.

One thing that sticks out for me was at livi, they hit us on the counter, Murray tried to bring scougall down on half way and completely missed him then continued to jog back. He doesn't have the legs anymore.

Iv been to every game since the raith defeat at home. (Except berwick away).

Nish has had a good 40 mins over two sub appearances I would say, yet to see Murray have a good game. Too slow, doesn't tackle much, hesitant on the ball.

This plainly isn't true. There was one moment in the midweek match against Alloa where he went through 3 of their players consecutively - the third of which was a topper of a slide tackle right in front of the dug outs.

He was poor on Saturday though.

Murray has had a few poor games, there's no denying that. But he's also put in some commendable shifts.

One of our biggest problems over the last few years has been opposition midfielders blowing through us and putting intolerable pressure on our defence. Shug has done well to reduce this threat in various games.

I think we should be looking to hold onto him for the remainder of the season.

Probably too much of a big name like Nish to not play. He doesn't deserve a start, he offers very very little from the games I have seen.

One thing that sticks out for me was at livi, they hit us on the counter, Murray tried to bring scougall down on half way and completely missed him then continued to jog back. He doesn't have the legs anymore.

Yes, I've heard Ian Murray picks his team based their reputation. He's 34, how many 34 year olds do you know that still have pace? :lol:

Actually, I missed the Alloa game through work commitments.

Nice to hear that's he's done something decent in about 9 games though.

I actually missed the Alloa game through work commitments I should say.

Although nice to hear he's done something good after about 8 games of doing little.

So you haven't been to every game since the Raith defeat.

Starting to think we can file you in the "troll" basket.

Hugh Murray has not been brilliant, but he has made a significant contribution during his loan spell here, as has Aaron Barry, and if these guys depart in January then there will be gaps for sure.

Nish has just not cut it for me; lots of nice laying-off but it's all with his back 40 yards from goal and we need much, much more from our strikers than that. The problem is, now that BP is being shunted around to accommodate two underperforming squibs in Nish and occasionally Smith our goal threat has virtually evaporated whilst we are still conceding at the other end.

And for it's worth, I'm not at all convinced by Megginson either but he seems to fly below the critics radar on here - just why is that ? The occasional good goal apart I just don't think he is contributing enough.

It goes without saying that the next few games are becoming vital, I just wish I had more confidence as they approach.

Hugh Murray has not been brilliant, but he has made a significant contribution during his loan spell here, as has Aaron Barry, and if these guys depart in January then there will be gaps for sure.

Nish has just not cut it for me; lots of nice laying-off but it's all with his back 40 yards from goal and we need much, much more from our strikers than that. The problem is, now that BP is being shunted around to accommodate two underperforming squibs in Nish and occasionally Smith our goal threat has virtually evaporated whilst we are still conceding at the other end.

And for it's worth, I'm not at all convinced by Megginson either but he seems to fly below the critics radar on here - just why is that ? The occasional good goal apart I just don't think he is contributing enough.

It goes without saying that the next few games are becoming vital, I just wish I had more confidence as they approach.

Admittedly I haven't been at our most recent few games, but I've been impressed every time I've seen Megginson so far this season. For me he gives us pace, trickery and skill that is a novelty to see in a striker at this level and I suspect that's why he's been given more of a free or wide role than the typical centre forward position.

I do feel that Smith and particularly Nish haven't lived up to their early billing though and I'd have no problem seeing Megginson, Prunty and Fleming take the starting positions up front and out wide / attacking mid and moving those two on with McKerracher providing cover from the bench, though as Nish is also coaching I can't see that happening.

Megginson for me is very much a confidence player. There are times when he looks right up for it and puts in a good shift and other times nothing comes off for him and you can see he's affected by that. With MacDougall coming on against Raith and getting a goal, I'd hope that he can kick on from that and be more like the player he was last year. That should also push players like Megginson/Gilhaney/Kirkpatrick as their position in the team should not be as clear cut as it has been so far.

With Fleming back in the fold now, I'd hope we start with him and Prunty against Hamilton. We must remember Garry came to us as a striker and he's never really had a run of games in that position. Getting Agnew back is far more important to us than anything else though.

Think it is safe to say that the only real signings we will make in January are likely to be loanees. I would expect a couple of our players to go out on loan also. Unfortunately that tends to mean your time with DFC is over. Can't remember the last player - outside of the youth/younger players - who left on loan and actually came back to play competitively for us. Smith and Nish seem past it, but Murray may have confidence that they will come good. I'd like a striker, defender (preferably central) and midfielder or two to come in. But only time will tell.

murray and nish past it? No way. We need their experience. Only ones i.d ship out are k smith and phinn. A waste of wages.

Double check a second... I didn't say Murray was past it.

Megginson for me is very much a confidence player. There are times when he looks right up for it and puts in a good shift and other times nothing comes off for him and you can see he's affected by that. With MacDougall coming on against Raith and getting a goal, I'd hope that he can kick on from that and be more like the player he was last year. That should also push players like Megginson/Gilhaney/Kirkpatrick as their position in the team should not be as clear cut as it has been so far.

With Fleming back in the fold now, I'd hope we start with him and Prunty against Hamilton. We must remember Garry came to us as a striker and he's never really had a run of games in that position. Getting Agnew back is far more important to us than anything else though.

All good points. It's also worth noting that the various players we're discussing here are all fairly versatile, so there's no reason why we should be stuck to a particular formation or team selection as all of McDougall, Gilhaney, Kirkpatrick, Megginson and Fleming can play pretty much anywhere from middle to front. That, combined with the relatively poor form of Smith and Nish, makes it a no-brainer for me that Prunty should be starting at centre forward with the likes of Fleming, Megginson, Gilhaney, McDougall and Kirkpatrick playing wide of him or in behind him. Prunty tried hard when played deeper, but he's not a midfielder and is of more use to us up top.

Edit to add: Having Agnew back partnering Turner in the middle of the park would also go a big way to getting us back on form as those two compliment each other well and there's not really any doubt that they are our recognised first choice midfield pairing and the likes of Murray, Kirkpatrick and the invisible man (Phinn) need to find a way to wrk themselves into the midfield around Agnew and Turner once Agnew is fit again, whenever that may be.

Edited by Sweet Pete

Would be nice to get an update on Agnew's injury.

Murray needs to get a new striker and defender in regardless. If Graham or Barry get injured were snookered, Scott Smith is in absolutely no shape to be playing at this level. I'm still not convinced Barry will stay after his loans up, the travelling sounds like a bit of a nightmare.