Sons' sorrow

Great news in the signing front. Murray signing is a great bonus and will have Morton fans quivering into their left over kebabs this morning. Kirkpatrick has impressed and his extension is great news. Gives us real competition in the middle of the park. No one is guaranteed a game there.

McLaughlin and Kane in and Murray kept on for the rest of the season, plus Kirkpatrick tied down and McNiff's wage freed up; have to say Murray is doing things right this month, and not wasting time either. I'd expect Owen Ronald and possibly Nicky Phinn to follow McNiff and free up another couple of wages for mid-season reinforcements. I can see McKerracher and Coleman being loaned out for experience also.

Great news to hear Murray has signed til the end of this season and Kirky extended his contract even further. Both will be key players during the run in, in particular Murray who like most defensive midfielders doesn't often get the credit he deserves.

McNiff is a local lad and was a good servant for the club but it was clear to most we needed something extra at this level and he wasn't the player to offer us that. He should leave with everyone's best wishes and I hope he finds a new club soon.

Another centre half please.

Like most here I'm delighted that Shug has signed till the end of the season, I said when he first signed that I think he could be Murray's most important signing and I still think that. I'm not entirely against giving Kirkpatrick an extension but was there any need to? Was he in danger of being signed by anyone else? I doubt it and even then it would have been at the end of the season where if we wanted to keep him we could have offered him a good deal. He's been a good player for us and I'm happy to have him but I just hope this doesn't make him relax knowing that he's not playing for a new contract, maybe that's taking cynicism to the extreme though.

I'm a wee bit disappointed with how the McNiff saga has been handled. He's still only 22 but was never really given a chance under Murray (various rumours as to why that is). Yes, he did look out of his depth when we first arrived in this division but who didn't? I just feel with Murray and Ross both being defenders and with Graham and now McLaughlin in the squad there's plenty of experience there for younger guys to learn from, not to mention how ridiculously short we are in that area. Still, if Murray has moved him on to bring in central defensive cover then fine.

To be honest I thought he might have let McNiff see out his contract and kept him as cover. As Moonster said, he is still very young and would have had every chance to learn and improve on his game from some of the guys we have at the club.

But in choosing to release him you have to hope that Murray has plans to bring in someone else - hopefully a centre half!

I reckon Martin will go onto have a very solid career in the 2 lower leagues - he has the attributes. Not quite good enough to cut it at our current lofty heights though, as others have noted.

Meanwhile, Murray could do worse than having a pick at Butcher's leftovers in Leith to get some more squad cover through to the end of the season.

I reckon Martin will go onto have a very solid career in the 2 lower leagues - he has the attributes. Not quite good enough to cut it at our current lofty heights though, as others have noted.

Meanwhile, Murray could do worse than having a pick at Butcher's leftovers in Leith to get some more squad cover through to the end of the season.

After Sir Jimmy the Nick has got the best of them.