Sons' sorrow

So they've got plans for the new ground and the site it'll be on, but they've no idea what it will cost, or when it will be built, or whether it will require additional developments to be added to generate funding. Clear as mud.

Amazing really. Working for more than 4 years on a project and still haven't figured out what it'll cost or how we'll build it.

The proposal is also wrong. It clearly stated that phase 1 will be the construction of the access road, 1 stand with a capacity of 1500 and 1 synthetic training pitch.

According to Gilbert and the developer last night, phase 1 will actually be the construction of 2 stands - 1500 seats and 500 terraced.

They're making this up as they go along.

The proposal is also wrong. It clearly stated that phase 1 will be the construction of the access road, 1 stand with a capacity of 1500 and 1 synthetic training pitch.

According to Gilbert and the developer last night, phase 1 will actually be the construction of 2 stands - 1500 seats and 500 terraced.

They're making this up as they go along.

The planning guy told me they MIGHT include the terrace in phase 1.

Gilbert didn't seem overly keen on answering much yesterday tbh.

The eventual realisation of the full development appears to be contingent on attracting complementary commercial, hospitality, retail or industrial investment in the locale. As someone who works at Lomondgate and has seen various similar plans, which are only now beginning to come into any sort of modest fruition, ie Greggs, Subway, Starbucks and a filling station, dare I suggest that this will be an extremely big ask indeed, even with 'enabling development'.

Purely selfishly on my part Moonster.

If I've got a hockey game to go to straight from the football, I want to know that I won't be sitting trying to get onto the A82 at the Renton on-ramp until nigh on face off time.

It was a good question! I thought Gilbert's answer of "it's not our responsibility" was strange, after saying that we were responsible for the access road.

The eventual realisation of the full development appears to be contingent on attracting complementary commercial, hospitality, retail or industrial investment in the locale. As someone who works at Lomondgate and has seen various similar plans, which are only now beginning to come into any sort of modest fruition, ie Greggs, Subway, Starbucks and a filling station, dare I suggest that this will be an extremely big ask indeed, even with 'enabling development'.

Judging by how long it has taken to get the various commercial developments in Dumbarton to start filling their units with businesses, if DFC are reliant upon that income to continue the build then the final 3 phases of the new stadium should be complete round about 2075. And the Artisan Centre will still be half empty. I hear the Artisan is now getting a Sports Direct. Plus there's now a Wetherspoons where Woolies was. Clearly all of Dumbarton's economic troubles are now at an end and the High Street will be awash with money. The Leven will be full of Sunseekers within weeks.

According to the Sons Trust Twitter account, the Trust, DFC chairman, planning consultant and representatives from Brabco are all at the Rock just now to answer questions on the stadium exhibition. Timed that well to make it the least convenient for everyone, haven't they? I'd be amazed if many folk can make it there to question them at 2pm on a Friday.

Guys, would be good to get some of the points/concerns made here posted on the "What do you think" section on the Sonstrust website. The owners may not read P&B comments, but they have to be aware, or certainly will be made aware, of comments posted on the Sonstrust site.

I'm a bit ignorant of the ins and outs here, but does rankin feature in here somewhere?

I fucking hope not. A lunatic of the highest order is Rankine.

IIRC we were relegated a good few years ago, and on the last game of the season, at Stranraer, we won 1-3. Stewarding a Clydebank game at the time, the wee shite was at Boghead and his comments were:

" Dumbarton won 3-1 (not, as you'd expect, "WE won 3-1"). That means we'll have to pay them a win bonus now.".

Hardly the talk of a real Sons fan there............

Edited by ThirdrockfromtheSon

Guys, would be good to get some of the points/concerns made here posted on the "What do you think" section on the Sonstrust website. The owners may not read P&B comments, but they have to be aware, or certainly will be made aware, of comments posted on the Sonstrust site.

You can bet the owners are well aware of what is posted here DK ;) As for comments and opinions I get the feeling that the situation is now a bit clearer for everyone in the fan base, perversely due to the fact that so many answers were either vague or not forthcoming.

Why move house when the one you have is basically still fit for purpose, expecially when you are moving initially to a smaller house with no firm idea of when it can be extended, if ever, and at what cost ? Unless of course the keyholder in the family needs cash in their sky rocket.....

Anyway, as was posted earlier WDC may be in the driving seat now so get prepared for Lesser Millburn.

I went down this afternoon for a look and came out with more questions than answers.

Coming from Clydebank I have witnessed a few years ago the demise of a team after promises of new stadia.

My concerns on the new ground are simple. Why should DFC go into any debt before a deal is struck with the sale of the land our stadium is on. If the offer of building a new stadium is part of selling price for the land them let the purchaser build it before we leave the Rock. The profit from the use of the new training pitches sounds nice but they will need to be staffed seven days a week, who pays they wages?

I do have a bad feeling about this however I hope to be proven wrong.