Sons' sorrow

Well Van Zanten, Taggart and Wilson. But DVZ is injured currently.

ETA: Obviously Taggart is a bit more flexibly and can fill in the midfield and central defense.

Aye, not convinced by Taggart at right back (neither is Murray by the looks of it)

Eta maybe signed to play left back as per post above

Edited by C'mon_the_Sons

Aye, not convinced by Taggart at right back (neither is Murray by the looks of it)

Eta maybe signed to play left back as per post above

Thought Taggart looked pretty good vs Falkirk at RB. I thought he should always have been in CB but since Findlay came in he is head and shoulders above everyone else in the whole squad. Edited by squeezeboxson

Thought Taggart looked pretty good vs Falkirk at RB. I thought he should always have been in CB but since Findlay came in he is head and shoulders above everyone else in the whole squad.

I thought Taggart was excellent at right back against Falkirk, would be quite happy to see us line up like this:

Taggart Graham Findlay Wilson

That looks like a fairly solid defence to me.

There is a converse to your argument Wilf, in that our league current status and a wage structure considerably improved from the days of Stevie Mallan could arguably make playing for Dumbarton a much more attractive proposition these days. But we'll never know, just as we'll never know of players whom we have approached in recent times and who have knocked us back. I happen to believe there are not many, and that gets back to my original point of building a squad - some managers are more suited or better-connected than others. Are we 'selling' ourselves out there ?

But back to wider point; when folk like me and BBPF raise concerns this should not be interpreted as being anti-Ian Murray, although there are a few on here who seem to view the guy as a plaster saint FFS. We are simply highlighting the (perceived in this case) risk of entering a crucial stage in the season without an obvious goal threat. That is all, there is no campaign or hidden agenda going on here, Murray has done a wonderful job and none of us want it to stop. If that means occasionally putting a flea in his ear then happy to oblige.

Finally (for now) Wilf, I have it on good authority that funding is in place for the right acquisition should he appear ;) Now let's get on with it !

Well that's good but I'd rather Murray passed rather than sign a diddy for the sake of it. I don't think Murray is a plaster saint but on balance I think he's made far more good decisions than bad ones. If there is a player good enough to fill the striker vacancy and he's available, then Murray will sign him. If there isn't he'll have to continue with what he has.

The latter might be the braver decision.

Mark Wilson is a great signing IMHO.

That's us got a squad of 23 now. It really is just a striker we need.

Expecting to have more than 2 recognised strikers in the squad is "denying the difficulties in managing a part-time side"?

As has been said numerous times as well, this isn't a problem of the moment, for around 2 months we've known that we'll be needing a striker. If you're telling me no striker was available who was good enough and wanted to join the best part time side in the country in a league with Hearts, Hibs and Rangers in it then I'd have to doubt that very much, especially given Alloa were able to tempt 4 of the fuckers from all corners of the country.

I'd suggest there are those who think the sun shines from Murray's arse and can do no wrong and those who raise valid concerns about the squad he's put together.

Are the four guys Alloa have signed any good though? I'm not telling you any such thing, but I'm saying that it's possible that there has been no one available that the manager has fancied. I don't think the sun shines out of Murray's arse but I think he's doing a sterling job.

What do you guys think of Findlay btw? Great player for us, cracking prospect!

Smashing player, one of the best young centre halfs I think I've ever seen at this level. Very composed on the ball and his positioning is excellent, hopefully he'll get a chance in the Celtic first team next season as I think he could have a big future.

What do you guys think of Findlay btw? Great player for us, cracking prospect!

Said after seeing him in only his 2nd match that he is quite clearly a cut above anyone we have. I would say he is comfortably the best player in our squad. Which says a lot considering. Brilliant prospect indeed.

Smashing player, one of the best young centre halfs I think I've ever seen at this level. Very composed on the ball and his positioning is excellent, hopefully he'll get a chance in the Celtic first team next season as I think he could have a big future.

Good stuff. Yeah I agree, could definitely play in the Premiership and has the potential to go further.