Sons' sorrow

I don't think anyone disputes that an addition to our forward options would be a wise move, I said as much in my last post. It's easy to say that we could have found at least one striker who is good enough but why don't you put forward some names? I'm sure Murray is well aware that we are short in that department, and I'm sure he made moves during the transfer window to address that shortfall. It doesn't look like it's came of for whatever reason but who do you suggest we move for at this late stage? Who will improve the squad?

Starting talk of relegation is slightly premature don't you think?

It's not my job to put forward names, that's the managers job, he's paid by the club to find ample replacements for the players he releases. I'm not an ex international footballer with coaching badges and numerous contacts (supposedly) throughout the UK. Alloa took a different approach and managed to find 4 strikers and we haven't found 1. They may be a success, they may not be but unless you take a chance you'll never uncover a potential gem. At this stage there is probably no one so my point still stands that Murray should have dealt with this far earlier than now. I still feel a squad filler would be better than no one right now considering we are a good 2 or 3 players short of filling a subs bench, at this level that's embarassing.

Talk of relegation may be premature but forgive me for being worried at the fact our two first choice strikers have left the club with no replacements being sought. Add to that the lack of numbers in our squad and the fact that a couple of injuries will leave us horribly short of players. Mitch and Archie have both been pish thus far which also adds to my concerns.

I don't think anyone disputes that an addition to our forward options would be a wise move, I said as much in my last post. It's easy to say that we could have found at least one striker who is good enough but why don't you put forward some names? I'm sure Murray is well aware that we are short in that department, and I'm sure he made moves during the transfer window to address that shortfall. It doesn't look like it's came of for whatever reason but who do you suggest we move for at this late stage? Who will improve the squad?

Starting talk of relegation is slightly premature don't you think?

I think that's a bit of a straw man. Would any of us have put forward Paul McGinn when we got him on loan? Would any of us put forward Aaron Barry when he came on loan? Even Findlay this year, was anyone even aware of him? It's down to Murray to find players through whatever means he can and to justify our lack of forward options by saying "well none of us can come up with anyone" isn't really relevant.

Fans attitudes will change from week to week, these next 4 games are massive for us and if we don't get the required results we'll be right in the relegation mix. We've also got 6 games in the space of a month from the end of March to the end of April in what could be very important games, one or two injuries and we need to seriously think about playing big Shay outfield. I'd suggest that thinking we won't be involved in a relegation battle is a bit premature. But as I said, there is still time for him to get folk in so lets not jump the gun here.

Not sure you are serious. Pretty sure he isn't getting a players wage. The giveaway was last season when he told fans at a meet the manager meeting, 'you won't see me playing' or something along those lines.

Murray is still receiving a players wage as far as I'm aware. I don't particularly mind, it's likely we'd be paying him the amount he's getting even if he wasn't registered as a player.

I think that's a bit of a straw man. Would any of us have put forward Paul McGinn when we got him on loan? Would any of us put forward Aaron Barry when he came on loan? Even Findlay this year, was anyone even aware of him? It's down to Murray to find players through whatever means he can and to justify our lack of forward options by saying "well none of us can come up with anyone" isn't really relevant.

It's relevant in making my wider point though, which is that it's easy to say "we need to bring a striker in" and slightly more difficult actually doing so.

Anyway we're going round in circles now. We can all agree that a new striker ahead of this Saturday's match would be a boost but if it doesn't materialise I remain confident that the players will have enough about them to beat Cowden and extend our lead further.

It's relevant in making my wider point though, which is that it's easy to say "we need to bring a striker in" and slightly more difficult actually doing so.

Anyway we're going round in circles now. We can all agree that a new striker ahead of this Saturday's match would be a boost but if it doesn't materialise I remain confident that the players will have enough about them to beat Cowden and extend our lead further.

Of course it is but I think the frustration some have is bourne out of the fact that we've known we'll be needing a striker for a while and that other teams around us have been able to add in that department.

Agreed. Would be a massive 3 points for us on Saturday.

Of course it is but I think the frustration some have is bourne out of the fact that we've known we'll be needing a striker for a while and that other teams around us have been able to add in that department.

Agreed. Would be a massive 3 points for us on Saturday.

To be fair one of their additions was Nish.

To be honest I'm tired of the argument. There are those who appreciate the difficulties, budget and restrictions (part time in a full time league) that Murray has to work under and there are those who don't or they deny that he does. If we finish seventh then he'll have done a good job IMHO. I think of times when we have signed forwards and they have seemed like good signings at the time. Eddie Annand, Stevie Mallan, Denis Wyness, Darren Gribben,Michael Moore and Colin Nish - all diddies by the time they got to us. Who is available? it's a reasonable question. They have to be willing to sign part-time, be better than what we have and good enough for the Championship. Maybe there just isn't anyone who fits that bill available at the moment?

To be honest I'm tired of the argument. There are those who appreciate the difficulties, budget and restrictions (part time in a full time league) that Murray has to work under and there are those who don't or they deny that he does. If we finish seventh then he'll have done a good job IMHO. I think of times when we have signed forwards and they have seemed like good signings at the time. Eddie Annand, Stevie Mallan, Denis Wyness, Darren Gribben,Michael Moore and Colin Nish - all diddies by the time they got to us. Who is available? it's a reasonable question. They have to be willing to sign part-time, be better than what we have and good enough for the Championship. Maybe there just isn't anyone who fits that bill available at the moment?

Expecting to have more than 2 recognised strikers in the squad is "denying the difficulties in managing a part-time side"?

As has been said numerous times as well, this isn't a problem of the moment, for around 2 months we've known that we'll be needing a striker. If you're telling me no striker was available who was good enough and wanted to join the best part time side in the country in a league with Hearts, Hibs and Rangers in it then I'd have to doubt that very much, especially given Alloa were able to tempt 4 of the fuckers from all corners of the country.

I'd suggest there are those who think the sun shines from Murray's arse and can do no wrong and those who raise valid concerns about the squad he's put together.

The thing is, if any of our improvised strikers are injured or suspended we won't have anyone to replace them with. Murray is obviously aware of this and the fact that we can't fill the subs bench at the moment. With the wages that have been freed up due to the release of various players and staff I expect we'll see a few new faces soon. Every signing is a gamble, you mention the ones that didn't work out but what about the likes of Lister and McShane? Both are players who have shone here where they seem to have struggled everywhere else. Anyway, he's going to have to come up with something or dig out his old boots again, I'm pretty sure he won't be too keen on that scenario.

There is a converse to your argument Wilf, in that our league current status and a wage structure considerably improved from the days of Stevie Mallan could arguably make playing for Dumbarton a much more attractive proposition these days. But we'll never know, just as we'll never know of players whom we have approached in recent times and who have knocked us back. I happen to believe there are not many, and that gets back to my original point of building a squad - some managers are more suited or better-connected than others. Are we 'selling' ourselves out there ?

But back to wider point; when folk like me and BBPF raise concerns this should not be interpreted as being anti-Ian Murray, although there are a few on here who seem to view the guy as a plaster saint FFS. We are simply highlighting the (perceived in this case) risk of entering a crucial stage in the season without an obvious goal threat. That is all, there is no campaign or hidden agenda going on here, Murray has done a wonderful job and none of us want it to stop. If that means occasionally putting a flea in his ear then happy to oblige.

Finally (for now) Wilf, I have it on good authority that funding is in place for the right acquisition should he appear ;) Now let's get on with it !

"Sons will have a full squad to choose from"

"David Van Zanten is injured for an unknown length of time"

:lol:

The wording was actually "full squad of 18" to choose from (i.e. 11 starters and seven subs), but can see where the confusion comes from. Have changed to "full matchday squad" in order to clear it up.

Edited by DumbartonTerrace

The wording was actually "full squad of 18" to choose from (i.e. 11 starters and seven subs), but can see where the confusion comes from. Have changed to "full matchday squad" in order to clear it up.

I ken what the wording was, Andy, I'm just funning ye!

Two quotes from Murray, directly one after the other that seem to contradict themselves for me:

“If we can add to our squad before the Alloa game next month then great, but if we don’t think we’re getting value for money we will sit tight with what we’ve got.
“It’s not vital to add players before the Hibs game next week but if we pick up one or two more injuries we’ll need to add a few players."
So, he's happy to go with what we've got in a months time but if we're to pick up a couple of injuries this week then we'll need bodies in for next week?

Two quotes from Murray, directly one after the other that seem to contradict themselves for me:

“If we can add to our squad before the Alloa game next month then great, but if we don’t think we’re getting value for money we will sit tight with what we’ve got.
“It’s not vital to add players before the Hibs game next week but if we pick up one or two more injuries we’ll need to add a few players."
So, he's happy to go with what we've got in a months time but if we're to pick up a couple of injuries this week then we'll need bodies in for next week?

I took it as a hamfisted (on Ian's part) attempt to dodge the question slightly. Basically he's saying that if someone comes along who'll improve the squad he'll sign them, otherwise he won't be signing anyone, barring injuries. It's a non-committal and shouldn't be read into too much.

Murray is still receiving a players wage as far as I'm aware. I don't particularly mind, it's likely we'd be paying him the amount he's getting even if he wasn't registered as a player.

Didn't think he was as of his new contract at the start of the season. Not listed as a player on the site (I don't think) but I agree he is probably on the same - or even increased - wage as last season when he was a 'player'/manager.