Sons' sorrow

I can't agree with that. Our points tally certainly isn't as good as we would be like but overall we have been very competitive throughout the season in a league made up mainly of much bigger clubs and the biggest failing has been our inability to turn decent performances into points. We've lost 15 league games and 9 of those by the odd goal. We've beaten Hibs and Rangers and drawn at Ibrox and we're in a cup final. I realise that given Alloa invariably save their very worst displays for Dumbarton that your support don't rate us too highly but "rotten for a huge spell" isn't a fair description in my opinion. Indeed, but for our horrific head to head against the Sons there is very little between the league records of both teams over the last 18 months.

define "very competitive" please...alloa won their first 2 games of the season and have won only twice since, one of them being last week. alloa have taken 12 points from 66.

That said, i think we re comparing tomatoes and tomatos, neither alloa or dumbarton are doing particularly well, but then i suppose in a league this difficult you look for small positives and victories.

Edited by sonsanorak

define "very competitive" please...alloa won their first 2 games of the season and have won only twice since, one of them being last week. alloa have taken 12 points from 66.

That said, i think we re comparing tomatoes and tomatos, neither alloa or dumbarton are doing particularly well, but then i suppose in a league this difficult you look for small positives and victories.

Alloa didn't even score in the first two games, losing away at Queens 2-0 then losing at home to Raith 1-0.

The last part is spot on though. If the positives Alloa supporters can take from this season end up being good results and performances against Hibernian and The Rangers, survival in the division and a Challenge Cup Final (win or lose) then I'll be quite happy.

Alloa didn't even score in the first two games, losing away at Queens 2-0 then losing at home to Raith 1-0.

The last part is spot on though. If the positives Alloa supporters can take from this season end up being good results and performances against Hibernian and The Rangers, survival in the division and a Challenge Cup Final (win or lose) then I'll be quite happy.

beg your pardon, i made a mistake writing it down.

Aye we fair enjoyed our draw with hearts, only for one of the hearts players to suggest we were celebrating like we'd won the champions league, sometimes its hard to appreciate the gulf between Us and Them

define "very competitive" please..

There have been very few games indeed where you could say that Alloa were well beaten, in the majority of our defeats we were narrowly beaten and probably felt we should have taken something.

We are playing in the main against clubs with greater resources than us (some of them far greater resources) but we have matched up well. There has been frustration for sure at our inability to turn decent performances against these teams into points and also letting in ourselves down in some of the matches against sides on a similar level to us. But with 11 games to go we are still in with a shout of staying up, we're in a cup final, we've beaten Hibs for the first time in 90 years, we pushed them all the way in another game, we outplayed Hearts at home and were robbed by a late goal, we drew with Rangers at home and at Ibrox and beat them 3-2 in the cup and we have turned in plenty of other very solid performances against other sides in the division. We've only conceded 36 goals thus far. There have been some bad days but overall "Very rotten for a huge spell" is just a daft description of our season, about as accurate as your facts on our first two games of the season ;)

Aye, i took your form from the bbc website, wrote it down and misread it when posting here. You won your third and fourth games.

We took a lot of pride from being the highest placed part time team last season, we hope to keep that position. There is a fair bit of getting turned over this year, you re doing well to be positive and upbeat about it, dumbarton are in a slightly better position but perhaps feel a little disappointed with it.

I didnt mean any slight, i am happy to see alloa and cowden in the league with us, even if we re all fighting to be the least hammered at the end of it all. I hope to see stranraer or forfar come up too.

I didn't take it as a slight, I just disagree strongly with the wording! And as I said, for us there hasn't been a "fair bit of getting turned over" because that to me suggests being well beaten or outclassed and it hasn't happened too often.

Anyway, we have the Sons next week so most likely we'll get turned over then.

Sorry Wilf, I simply don’t recall the Jim George thing…

For me, comparisons with last season only serve to highlight how we’ve struggled to consolidate those achievements. Sure, we’ve had the ‘Big Three’ with us this term but too many key managerial decisions have been contributors in that struggle; certain players were retained who should have been let go; we failed to build a balanced squad with cover in key positions; we’ve seldom played the same line-up twice; the tactical obsessions, ie three centre-backs, the mini-man midfields, the late, late substitutions.

All of that would be excusable if we were now at last heading in a positive direction, but on recent form we are decidedly not. Yet here we go again, entering hopeful ‘if we take seven points, etc.,’ territory with absolutely no evidence to suggest that we will. Unless, that is, we field a team capable of at least competing – if we can do that then we may have the beginnings of a basis with which to see out the season. From where I’m sitting only one guy can seriously influence that.

I think something else can influence it. Confidence or lack of it. WE are suffering as a club, not just a team, from a lack of it just now.

I think something else can influence it. Confidence or lack of it. WE are suffering as a club, not just a team, from a lack of it just now.

Surely Murray is the man who has to instil confidence in the team? Aye, moaning fans in the stands don't help but that's always present at the football. You'll need to elaborate on how the club (not the team) is suffering from a lack of confidence.

Surely Murray is the man who has to instil confidence in the team? Aye, moaning fans in the stands don't help but that's always present at the football. You'll need to elaborate on how the club (not the team) is suffering from a lack of confidence.

Och! come on Moonster. How long have you been watching football? Confidence is the key ingredient in success in almost every walk of life but particularly in sport. A confident team breeds confidence in the stands and vice versa. They feed off each other. If the manager is suffering a lack of confidence himself (as he may be - he's human after all) how does he instill confidence in others? It may be time for the sports psychologist to have a session or two.

Och! come on Moonster. How long have you been watching football? Confidence is the key ingredient in success in almost every walk of life but particularly in sport. A confident team breeds confidence in the stands and vice versa. They feed off each other. If the manager is suffering a lack of confidence himself (as he may be - he's human after all) how does he instill confidence in others? It may be time for the sports psychologist to have a session or two.

I understand what confidence is to people at their work, especially at football. My point is that it's Murray's job, that we're paying him very well for, to put out a confident team capable of winning the game. If he's not feeling confident then he's got to do everything he can to ensure that doesn't rub off on players. I'm not against him using the staff he has available to him if he isn't feeling confident, Murray doesn't strike me as the type to be short on confidence though - I'd suggest the opposite that he's perhaps over-confident at times.

How is the club suffering from a lack of confidence?

I understand what confidence is to people at their work, especially at football. My point is that it's Murray's job, that we're paying him very well for, to put out a confident team capable of winning the game. If he's not feeling confident then he's got to do everything he can to ensure that doesn't rub off on players. I'm not against him using the staff he has available to him if he isn't feeling confident, Murray doesn't strike me as the type to be short on confidence though - I'd suggest the opposite that he's perhaps over-confident at times.

How is the club suffering from a lack of confidence?

Think its a little more complex than that...it may be that a few of the players individually are suffering a loss of self confidence, e.g. a striker who has missed a few chances, or a defender who has made a mistake which caused a goal. This can then manifest across the whole team, and heads can go down when playing well, but conceding a soft goal

Players may also be lacking in confidence due to personal issues

I would guess that teams who do well, have the vast majority of their players with high levels of confidence. That said the guys who are on the bench and are not getting a game, are perhaps in a totally different frame of mind...they may only get last few minutes, and may try too hard because they are trying to force their way into a winning team

yes...of course its the manager's job to try and instill confidence in a team....sometimes that happens by winning games.....or by playing the correct formations that suit the players abilities

Who'd be a manager?

It's got little to do with confidence, and much more to do with the wrong formations, the wrong game plans and a distinct lack of balance in the team. If confidence is an issue I would suggest it has more to do with the guys on the park at times simply not knowing quite what their role is.

If people are happy at their work and have a clearly defined understanding of their job it tends to be productive all round.

It's got little to do with confidence, and much more to do with the wrong formations, the wrong game plans and a distinct lack of balance in the team. If confidence is an issue I would suggest it has more to do with the guys on the park at times simply not knowing quite what their role is.

If people are happy at their work and have a clearly defined understanding of their job it tends to be productive all round.

Some recent selections and formations have been baffling certainly. I'm surprised though that you think a bad run of form/results has little to do with confidence. As I have pointed out, Alloa, Cowden and Livi have experienced similar diminution to that suffered by us in comparison to last season. Maybe these teams are all suffering the same issues you describe? Or maybe the league is just one helluva lot more difficult?

I'm not confident about today and I doubt the players are. If we could get a point or three though, I'd suggest the confidence would be higher for the next game. That's football to borrow a phrase.