Sons' sorrow

Far better to happen now than later in the close season or a few weeks in to the new one.

Steve Aitken apparently lives in Erskine. Gus McPherson has done a decent job at QP. Just saying.

Think you can prob rule out Aitken. He made quite clear in the Alba interview that he fancied a full-time gig next.

Best of luck to Ian going forward, potentially a great managerial career ahead of him.

Any link to that interview? I had thought that Aitken had a very good job outside of football and part-time side suited him? If not Aitken, Bollan would be decent but I'm sure we'll have a good number of applicants.

thank you Ian, sorry to see you go, now, for ray mckinnon or stevie aitken,

I hope the club act quickly

Aitken has already stated his next club will be a full time on but you never know. He may opt for the next best thing..

McKinnon's on his way to us apparently as well.

Any link to that interview? I had thought that Aitken had a very good job outside of football and part-time side suited him? If not Aitken, Bollan would be decent but I'm sure we'll have a good number of applicants.

Unfortunately not but it was alluded to in the interview that combining a part-time football position with a full time 'outside' job was extremely difficult.

The interview actually took place in the car workshop.

Ian Murray has done a very good job for Dumbarton. He'll go with the thanks of the whole support.

I do think it's the right time for him to be moving on. The current squad is finished and needs to be totally rebuilt. It'll need to be rebuilt on a budget and that means some very canny lower league signings. Thats not really where Murray's strenghts are. Murray has modernised a lot of the areas surrounding the football operation at Dumbarton - simple things like matchday meals to a greater use of modern coaches and sports science. The football suffered last season as Murray took a very defensive approach to games. We weren't pretty to watch and it was a huge departure from the previous season where we always seemed to have a punchers chance against anybody in the league. That included our excellent cup run and very credible narrow loss to Aberdeen.

He'll do well at St Mirren where they have bigger resources and are full time.

As his replacement I hope we can get another young manager looking to learn his trade. Theres always a risk in appointing an inexperienced manager but the potential rewards for the club in getting somebody at the start of their careers are significant. The right assistant makes all the difference as we saw with Jack Ross and I personally reckon Murray missed a proper number 2 last season. We need somebody who knows the Scottish lower leagues and who'll be committed to building a squad for the next couple of seasons at least. Part of that means new signings - part of it means giving guys like Donald McCallum their change in the first team squad. I think the writing was on the wall in terms of Murray's time at Dumbarton with his refusal to use the last 7 games following our securing Championship status as a means of givign McCallum some game time. It looked from then on that he was biding his time til the end of the season when he could part company with the club.

Thanks for the past few years Ian, and good luck for the future at St Mirren.

Big job starts today in recruiting the right replacement but Murray's time at the Rock has shown that we shouldn't under-estimate how attractive we could be for the right young manager with ambition to progress his career.

Unfortunately not but it was alluded to in the interview that combining a part-time football position with a full time 'outside' job was extremely difficult.

The interview actually took place in the car workshop.

I see. Maybe if we are closer to his home it may be easier but we'll just need to wait and see. If the club follow the same process that they did when appointing Murray then I'll be happy with whoever it is.

Far better to happen now than later in the close season or a few weeks in to the new one.

Steve Aitken apparently lives in Erskine. Gus McPherson has done a decent job at QP. Just saying.

Gus MacPherson?! No fucking danger!

Gayfield was great. One of my favourite games! I even got meet Pete, what more could you ask for?

8) Making the laydeez swoon since 1984.

I see. Maybe if we are closer to his home it may be easier but we'll just need to wait and see. If the club follow the same process that they did when appointing Murray then I'll be happy with whoever it is.

Except that we don't have the luxury of a long time this time.

Have to say I'm a bit surprised that he's gone to St Mirren. He's on a hiding to nothing there and failure to win promotion at the first time of asking will put him under great pressure. Given the other teams that are likely to be in the league and St Mirren's well documented lack of finance I'd be very surprised if he managed that. Still, good luck to him, apart from four games of course.