Sons' sorrow

Have to say I'm a bit surprised that he's gone to St Mirren. He's on a hiding to nothing there and failure to win promotion at the first time of asking will put him under great pressure. Given the other teams that are likely to be in the league and St Mirren's well documented lack of finance I'd be very surprised if he managed that. Still, good luck to him, apart from four games of course.

Most fans will not be expecting us to bounce back up next year. We have a major rebuilding job on our hands both on and off the park, with no doubt another year of speculation regarding the clubs ownership.

Next season I will be more than happy to be competing around mid table, and actually being semi attractive to watch. Unless it's an absolute disaster, he'll have a honeymoon period of a season to sort the many things out that are wrong with us just now, with us probably being expected to challenge the following year (depending on who is in the league!)

I guess the positive I can take from St. Mirren getting a good manager and pumping us four times is that Dumbarton could collapse and become cannon-fodder, saving us from tenth. Then again, you could always get the appointment right.

I guess the positive I can take from St. Mirren getting a good manager and pumping us four times is that Dumbarton could collapse and become cannon-fodder, saving us from tenth. Then again, you could always get the appointment right.

One thing we can all be relieved about is that at least it wont be Jim Duffy.

Ian Murray has given us some fantastic memories and achievements in his time with the club and he deserves his chance at a bigger club.

It's a shame on one hand that we're losing a very good manager, probably the best the club has had in my lifetime, but on the other hand we must be one of the most attractive opportunities for any up-and-coming, part-time, ambitious manager in the country, so hopefully we make another good appointment, and hopefully not taking too long to make

it either. All the best to Ian Murray in his time at St. Mirren.

What about Spalding? Already there and it's a cheap option...

With no senior management or playing experience he would be a monumental risk. Being a good coach doesn't always translate into being a good manager, doubt he'd have the contacts either.

Prices from McBookie. Usual runners and riders

3/1 Gus McPherson 4/1 Stephen Aitken 5/1 Gary Bollan 6/1 Derek Young 7/1 John McGlynn 10/1 Gary Teale 12/1 Andy Graham 12/1 Billy Reid 12/1 Allan Moore 16/1 Grant Murray 20/1 Kenny Sheils

I got that impression myself. I was also surprised to see us announce the news before St Mirren.

Were our board even aware Murray had went for the job? Surely it would be common courtesy for him to keep them in the loop? At the end of the day we gave him the platform to build his managerial career with absolutely ziltch experience so I'd like to think he's not been sneaky about it. The statement would suggest the club aren't overly pleased.

No, from that statement I don't think they are, and I have a hunch it may be the manner in which the process, as opposed to the departure itself, has been conducted from the (former) Manager's side.

Gus McPherson as favourite *shudder* That would be such an enormous leap backwards.

I like Bollan a lot, he's been successful at Livi and at Airdrie (working on a miniscule budget) and may be attracted by another shot at the Championship, especially with Airdrie letting his best players go to rival clubs (Paddy Boyle to Ayr as a key example)

Andy Graham player-manager :lol:

From the list above, Aitken seems like a popular choice and his stock is high, but as others have said, is he likely to want another part-time gig? Who knows?

From the list and ones who would seem likely, Gary Bollan would be my choice. Did well at Livi, did pretty well at Airdrie under apparently low budgets, and doesn't seem to have a 'bad name' from many supporters wherever he's been, which is a rarity these days.

Prices from McBookie. Usual runners and riders

3/1 Gus McPherson 4/1 Stephen Aitken 5/1 Gary Bollan 6/1 Derek Young 7/1 John McGlynn 10/1 Gary Teale 12/1 Andy Graham 12/1 Billy Reid 12/1 Allan Moore 16/1 Grant Murray 20/1 Kenny Sheils

Never even gave Graham a thought. He could be a good shout although a bit if a gamble. Not sure he has any coaching experience but then again neither had Nid.

Talking of Ian murray, all the best to him. He did a magnificent job for us and leaves us in a much better state than when he took over. Albeit we don't actually have any signed players. The Murray years will be fondly remembered and may actually be the peak we reach for another generation. It was enjoyable while it lasted.

Thank you Ian Murray. Hopefully a platform built gir a new man to work with. Turned us sons fans into thinking 7th in the championship was a problem. 3 great years . Good luck . I hope sons fans honourable enough to sing a chorus of one Ian Murray when he come to visit .. Anticipation now is who's next and who will they bring

Could this be a wee dig at the way Saints went about approaching Muzz? Or am I reading too much into it?

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=1874

"We will need to move quickly, but we will follow a proper process and do the right thing in terms of protocol should we feel there is a candidate we'd like to speak to."