Sons' sorrow

Who's Darren Miller?

Played for Queens Park last season, was with Irvine Meadow and Albion Rovers before that. Assuming it's the same one.

http://www.queensparkfc.co.uk/?page_id=6257

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=71234

Don't know anything about him as a player at all.

Slow news day, tells us very little. See this from Jardine though:

"At a public meeting on the proposed relocation in December Dumbarton FC chairman Alan Jardine warned fans that staying at the current site could mean a move back into the doldrums of Scottish football.

He told fans: Its not about the size of the stadium its about the facilities. We need more than season ticket money and gate money and right now we don't have more than that."
I assume with Robert Sloan packing in the catering/hospitality now we'll be running this ourselves and coining it in?

"At a public meeting on the proposed relocation in December Dumbarton FC chairman Alan Jardine warned fans that staying at the current site could mean a move back into the doldrums of Scottish football.

He told fans: Its not about the size of the stadium its about the facilities. We need more than season ticket money and gate money and right now we don't have more than that."
I assume with Robert Sloan packing in the catering/hospitality now we'll be running this ourselves and coining it in?

Has Rab jacked it, has he? When and how did this go down?

Has Rab jacked it, has he? When and how did this go down?

Don't really know the ins and outs but I bumped into his son and he said he wouldn't be doing it any more. I don't think Rab is short of a bob or two so maybe just fed up with the workload, especially if his online deliveries are doing well.

Edited by The Moonster

I think you can forget the club running the catering side. Robert did a sterling job and the percentage from his top line was pretty eye watering. If the club were to try and run that with all those employees/national insurance/tax/pension implications, not to mention keeping on top of food hygiene and handling regs they'd be worse off. I hear there is someone lined up to come in. He's got a hard act to follow.

I think you can forget the club running the catering side. Robert did a sterling job and the percentage from his top line was pretty eye watering. If the club were to try and run that with all those employees/national insurance/tax/pension implications, not to mention keeping on top of food hygiene and handling regs they'd be worse off. I hear there is someone lined up to come in. He's got a hard act to follow.

He does indeed, Robert's food was always top notch.

The buffet at the poty do is always the highlight of my season. I particularly liked the introduction of the 'potato dogs' this year.

Yeah, I know, I'm being slightly facetious. We're told we need more revenue streams but the club can't actually afford to run any of the proposed streams itself (hospitality/gym/hotel/blah) nor do we have any experience in running such things. As such, any additional facilities that WE build would then be rented out to others to run. If they don't work out and the companies aren't interested, we end up with maintenance/up-keep costs for stuff that we nor anyone else can use.

Surely that would send us to the doldrums of Scottish football quicker than, eh, carrying on doing what we've been successfully doing for the last 5+ years without all these "required" revenue streams?

Yeah, I know, I'm being slightly facetious. We're told we need more revenue streams but the club can't actually afford to run any of the proposed streams itself (hospitality/gym/hotel/blah) nor do we have any experience in running such things. As such, any additional facilities that WE build would then be rented out to others to run. If they don't work out and the companies aren't interested, we end up with maintenance/up-keep costs for stuff that we nor anyone else can use.

Surely that would send us to the doldrums of Scottish football quicker than, eh, carrying on doing what we've been successfully doing for the last 5+ years without all these "required" revenue streams?

When studying the plans and how it was explained to me, was that the club's benefit would be all weather training facilities and improved function suite facilities - which would benefit from having a hotel nearby. The training facilities would save a high cost in sourcing and funding facilities in Glasgow. The club claimed they would get income from these facilities too. The club would not have anything to do with the hotel or gym as I understood it. Neither would they own the stadium but it would be on a long lease at a peppercorn rent. I was told that 'Phase 1' of the stadium would be complete before vacating the Rock site.As I recall we were told that after the consultation process it would be May before we heard anything. I've heard all the stories about Brabco having no money and I know nothing about if or when the plans will progress. I have no interest in repeating all last year's discussions on the subject. Que sera sera

I don't recall it being mentioned that the club wouldn't own, but would instead lease, the new stadium. Who would they be leasing it from then? The idea of leasing, even if it is for a long term on a low rent, a stadium when you already own one outright is something I've never been comfortable with and fans of Airdrie, Livingston and Clyde would be able to give plenty of anecdotes about the potential pitfalls of such an arrangement.

Neither would they own the stadium but it would be on a long lease at a peppercorn rent.

This just gets better and better. Who said this? It's never been mentioned up until now and I'm sorry but that is the most worrying piece of news about the whole shebang.