Sons' sorrow

Why will people hate him ? We haven't had a barely-controllable bampot with a firm opinion of his worth since the Crilly fellow was in town. Bring him on, complete with his scaffolding poles !

He could build us a temporary stand for all those Bairns.

I don't think Agnew will be here next season. Going by his tweets think he is hinting that.

Says he'll decide over weekend. I think he has FT offers from at least 1 club so may be difficult to keep him.

Long interview with Mark Gilhaney in the Helensburgh Advertiser. Not chuffed at not being re-signed.

https://goo.gl/photos/2UHeQBLfLebVhuPMA

That's football I'm afraid, and Gils is experienced enough to recognise that. If Stevie Aitken's picks come in and perform then fans will warm to that; if not, then he and they will have to deal with that too.

Early indications are that he's going to put his own stamp on things and it was perhaps inevitable that some fans' favourites would be leaving. And if Aggy and anyone else decides to move on then we must do too.

I get the feeling that Gil's pride is wounded, but he leaves with our best wishes. And as someone who has banged on about last season's lightweight midfield I'm giving Aitken my backing on this one.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Would be disappointed to lose agnew, especially if it was to ayr or a league below us. Read somewhere ayr have both full time and part time players so maybe they pay well just now?

Either way I hope we get people in who will be fully committed to playing for us.

Seen Taggart say that he's away on holiday, don't think we will hear many re-signings anytime soon.

That's football I'm afraid, and Gils is experienced enough to recognise that. If Stevie Aitken's picks come in and perform then fans will warm to that; if not, then he and they will have to deal with that too.

Early indications are that he's going to put his own stamp on things and it was perhaps inevitable that some fans' favourites would be leaving. And if Aggy and anyone else decides to move on then we must do too.

I get the feeling that Gil's pride is wounded, but he leaves with our best wishes. And as someone who has banged on about last season's lightweight midfield I'm giving Aitken my backing on this one.

You're right of course, it would be strange, if not worrying, for a new manager to come in and to just keep with the status quo. I thought the piece noteworthy though. Not usual for a player not having his contract renewed to have such a lengthy valedictory note. Gallagher and Miller don't seem the lightweight type. It would seem that Miller's dead ball skills are a big part of his game and that might be a clue to Aggy's future.

Long interview with Mark Gilhaney in the Helensburgh Advertiser. Not chuffed at not being re-signed.

https://goo.gl/photos/2UHeQBLfLebVhuPMA

The thing I find slightly surprising is that Aitken hadn't seen Gils train. Granted the timing makes that difficult but how good an assessment can be made on the basis of a third party report? Who supplies the report?

One of Gilhaney's biggest assets was his work rate, often overlooked but a key contribution none the less, especially in allowing McGinn to get forward in the previous season.

I personally think he would have done a job for us and his departure may be slightly short sighted on the part of our new management team. That said the signings so have have been encouraging and if the managers has his own players in mind we'll need to trust his judgement.

The thing I find slightly surprising is that Aitken hadn't seen Gils train. Granted the timing makes that difficult but how good an assessment can be made on the basis of a third party report? Who supplies the report?

One of Gilhaney's biggest assets was his work rate, often overlooked but a key contribution none the less, especially in allowing McGinn to get forward in the previous season.

I personally think he would have done a job for us and his departure may be slightly short sighted on the part of our new management team. That said the signings so have have been encouraging and if the managers has his own players in mind we'll need to trust his judgement.

I've heard that 'Supersons' can put on a very convincing Edinburgh accent...

We've played stranraer twice,the past couple of seasons,and I'd imagine that Stephen aitken would have quite a thick dossier on Dumbarton's squad, plus others, with the view to signing targets,and you'd imagine he's seen enough,not just this twice but scouting missions also.

I always stuck up for gils, and I still would but you can't argue with the boss,gils was a great servant to the team and I'm sure he's left with all our thanks

Gilhaney fell into the "happy if he stays, fair enough if he goes" category for me, which a lot of last years squad fell into - Mitch Megginson being another. I don't disagree that Gils work rate would have been useful for us but on the signings so far Aitken looks to be building a younger team perhaps with a point to prove at this level, rather than having too many players who have very little to prove.

As optimistic says, Gils and Stee have crossed paths in the past and if Stee is as competent as he seems to be then I imagine he's well aware of what Gils can offer. Not really fussed about Gils having a cry to the paper really, a bit like the Lee Mair saga last year, I think it makes him look worse than the club.

On another note, can anyone tell me what tweets are suggesting that Agnew is leaving? I don't use twitter but I've had a look at his this morning and all I can see is him retweeting stuff about Dumbarton's new signings, congratulating his friends on getting contracts at various clubs and saying he'll decide before he goes on holiday on Tuesday? If he's got full-time offers then he's probably taking his time to mull over that. I'll agree that the longer it goes on the less likely it is he'll stay but let's not jump the gun.

According to the BBC Murray will not be raiding the club for players:

"St Mirren boss Ian Murray says he won't be raiding former club Dumbarton since their part-time players cannot afford to take a drop in wages."

According to the BBC Murray will not be raiding the club for players:

"St Mirren boss Ian Murray says he won't be raiding former club Dumbarton since their part-time players cannot afford to take a drop in wages."

:lol:

Probably true for someone like Agnew.