Sons' sorrow

If we go on the assumption that Taggart and Fleming re-sign, if I was gaffer, I'd be looking at still bringing in at least:

1 Keeper (No.1 needed)

2 Defenders (cover at centre back and full back)

3 Midfielders (wingers required, fairly well covered in the centre of the park)

2 Strikers

That gives us a squad of 20 including Hopkins and McCallum.

Gaffer Stephen Aitken tells The Dumbarton Terrace that Mark Brown is on the radar and that two more players are expected to re-sign ahead of pre-season training starting on Sunday.

Full interview here: https://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/where-did-the-close-season-go/

I'm wondering whether Aitken is using some psychology here by declaring his interest in Mark Brown. Managers are usually reluctant to mention these things until it's a done deal. By praising Brown 'He's come from a high level and has an offer on the table' and appearing enthusiastic 'He's talking to us and that's a good sign' Brown might compare that attitude with stony faced dourness that he may or may not encounter elsewhere.

I think it's really refreshing to hear players mentioned, it's usually the secret service when it comes to bringing players in, it gives us something to air our views on, whether it be their availability or abilities, I'd imagine strikers will be very hush hush though, every club wants a 20 goal a season man, but I'm definitely optimistic(pardon the pun) about Mr aitkens tenure at Dumbarton football club

On the striker front does anyone else think that Bob McHugh might be worth a punt? Struggled for goals his whole career, but then again has struggled for regular football. Much like Stephen Dobbie (or to a much lesser extent Mitch Megginson) the step back to p/t football might help him move forward in his career.

His stats look pretty horrendous for a striker, 70 league appearances for Motherwell 5 goals. But out of those 70 appearances, only 9 were starts. 9 SPL starts, 5 goals. 5 starts for Airdrie last season, 4 goals.

Obviously he struggled at QOS two seasons ago, but that may have been a confidence thing rather than a lack of ability. He's only 23 as well.

^^^^In no way related to the fact he was excellent for me on Football Manager and I've just seen he's a free agent.

It's all down to luck with strikers, most fail most seasons, even the good ones you'll be lucky to get a decent season or a season and a half banging goals in, a lot of its down to the service they get, everyone's worth a punt, and we're overdue a striker that'll bring luck and goals

It's all down to luck with strikers, most fail most seasons, even the good ones you'll be lucky to get a decent season or a season and a half banging goals in, a lot of its down to the service they get, everyone's worth a punt, and we're overdue a striker that'll bring luck and goals

That's true. Just need to look at lister and prunty

I think it's really refreshing to hear players mentioned, it's usually the secret service when it comes to bringing players in, it gives us something to air our views on, whether it be their availability or abilities, I'd imagine strikers will be very hush hush though, every club wants a 20 goal a season man, but I'm definitely optimistic(pardon the pun) about Mr aitkens tenure at Dumbarton football club

You mean, we no longer need the webmaster to fabricate the Manager's quotes.

Former Stranraer collegaue of Aitken's. Lacking in pace, but a no nonsense centre back.

is Fraser Wright a centre half? i had it in my head he was a full back? I understand he is experienced, but we already have an experienced and slow centre half....i would have thought we would be trying to bring in a bit of pace to compliment Andy Graham

is Fraser Wright a centre half? i had it in my head he was a full back? I understand he is experienced, but we already have an experienced and slow centre half....i would have thought we would be trying to bring in a bit of pace to compliment Andy Graham

Maybe to provide experienced cover in the case of injuries? The loss of Andy's experience last year when he got injured was noticeable.

Left footed centre half. I recall Jefferies using him at left and right back in an emergency during his Killie days, with predictably poor results.

I have no idea how quick Buchanan is but I imagine we've signed him to go with Andy Graham and to cover for his obvious lack of pace. Wright would be a decent signing and provide competition at centre half, something we've not had for a while. Hasn't Wright been offered a deal at St Johnstone though?

Frazer Wright is a big, solid centre back. He's a Scottish Cup winner and a bit of a legend generally at McDiarmid Park.

He has been offered a new deal with us, but I believe he is a qualified personal trainer and is looking to do that once he finishes up with football. I suspect he's been offered reduced terms and has been made aware that his role will be diminished next season.

He looked finished at the beginning of last season. A total bombscare. He then went and got himself an injection to sort out hip as a last throw of the dice. Once he got himself back into the team against Partick Thistle in October, we conceded 11 goals in the 23 games where he played. I'd go as far as to say that he would've been in contention for our player of the year if it wasn't for the absolutely sensational Chris Millar.

I'd be gutted to see him go, but equally delighted that he's not staying in the Premiership and that he's signing for my second favourite Scottish club.

According to the daily record, we've decided against Frank mckeown, he seems to have favoured Morton, stranraer fans didn't seem to think that he could make the step up

A bit like when yer burd back in the day would say "You're dumped" and you'd say "I was gonnae dump you anyway ya cow".

:(