Sons' sorrow

23 hours ago, Silverton End said:

tmp_24095-IMG_20170221_104019185~2-1972960583.jpg

A decent summary of where we are. (Well, I would say that, wouldn't I, because it accurately reports and reflects what we're saying! ... But, seriously, the Reporter has been very professional about this all along).

Simon

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What a hugely misleading headline in that article.

I was trying to be polite. ;)  I've spoken to them about it. The headline will change on the website, I have been told. Plus, of course, there will be a comment from the trust, to clarify the situation, next week.

Actually, what there is at the moment is a scheme for planning approval (which we have all had the opportunity of seeing) and indicators about commercial intentions, possibilities and proposals. But there is as yet no planning approval, and no 'plan' in the sense of a costed, timetabled and verified business plan in writing that we are aware of. That's what we are looking forward to engaging over in the coming weeks. At that point the question as to whether something is on the table that can be backed will arise. **Not until then**. But, yes, positive signs...

Simon

Edited by TheFarPost

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Journalist in talking shite* shocker.

*excludes @Sonsteam of 08**

**sometimes.;)

The journalist does not write the headline, please remember. And with cuts, everyone (including headline writers) are working under significant pressure. 

I've spoken to them. Genuine misunderstanding, I believe. Someone scanned the story quickly and misconstrued. 

It will be corrected.

I'm a journalist too, by the way! ;) :whistle

Simon :angel

57 minutes ago, TheFarPost said:

A decent summary of where we are. (Well, I would say that, wouldn't I, because it accurately reports and reflects what we're saying! ... But, seriously, the Reporter has been very professional about this all along).

Simon

Yeah I agree, The Reporter newspaper has given pretty good coverage of the issues.

I genuinely had no idea that a journalist didn't write the headline for their own article. Explains a lot. Sounds like a fucking piss easy job, summarise what someone else has worked all day/week/month/year for in a sentence and who gives a f**k if it's misleading.

Where do I sign up?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I genuinely had no idea that a journalist didn't write the headline for their own article. Explains a lot. Sounds like a fucking piss easy job, summarise what someone else has worked all day/week/month/year for in a sentence and who gives a f**k if it's misleading.

Where do I sign up?

In the case of the Lennox and this kind of article I know they don't. In some other places they do, though traditionally not. Far less easy than it sounds. You often have an exact number of characters to fill, they have to be 'reader-friendly' to please your editor, and the stories are flying at you from all directions. Also, you'll simultaneously be subbing, laying out copy, etc. etc. You might even be working from a remote office on several papers from different localities at once. It's also one of those things that gets better with experience... but is actually often thrown at youngsters who are just learning the ropes these days. Staff cutbacks mean that many local papers run on a shoestring, with crap wages, low morale and overwork, etc., endemic So its easy to judge from the outside, but much tougher if you're in the den. I'm not uncritical of the decline in journalistic standards (which is a serious issue), but as a longstanding National Union of Journalists rep/activist I sympathise with those in the from line because I know what it's like. (These days I run a policy think-tank and do commentary rather than reporting, but I've experienced the whole gamut of print journalism.)  

Simon

Edited by TheFarPost

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Where do I sign up?

Need to be able to hold your drink Moonster ;)

6 hours ago, TheFarPost said:

In the case of the Lennox and this kind of article I know they don't. In some other places they do, though traditionally not. Far less easy than it sounds. You often have an exact number of characters to fill, they have to be 'reader-friendly' to please your editor, and the stories are flying at you from all directions. Also, you'll simultaneously be subbing, laying out copy, etc. etc. You might even be working from a remote office on several papers from different localities at once. It's also one of those things that gets better with experience... but is actually often thrown at youngsters who are just learning the ropes these days. Staff cutbacks mean that many local papers run on a shoestring, with crap wages, low morale and overwork, etc., endemic So its easy to judge from the outside, but much tougher if you're in the den. I'm not uncritical of the decline in journalistic standards (which is a serious issue), but as a longstanding National Union of Journalists rep/activist I sympathise with those in the from line because I know what it's like. (These days I run a policy think-tank and do commentary rather than reporting, but I've experienced the whole gamut of print journalism.)  

Simon

Simon, the Lennox Herald was a bit more 'on the ball' regarding The Sons, when it was a part of S.U.N (Scottish Universal Newspaper) group, it felt more 'local' too, now its basically an offshoot of the Daily Record, which reads like The Beano.

*nae offence Sof08*

The turnaround between The Reporter & Lennox reporting on all things Dumbarton FC has been remarkable, you can often get 4 or 5 pages regarding The Sons in The Reporter these days.

Fair play to The Reporter in that regards

I still miss Gare Clyde aka Tony McGinley the doyen of Dumbarton FC reporters. There have been many reporters over the last sixty years or so but Gare was peerless in his description of games especially at Boghead during the glory and not so glorious years However in those days the local papers were still situated in Dumbarton and had not been outsourced to far away places with strange sounding names. Maybe if Donald has a few bricks left over we could use them to build a wall round the town before absolutely everything is taken from Dumbarton.

45 minutes ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

I still miss Gare Clyde aka Tony McGinley the doyen of Dumbarton FC reporters. There have been many reporters over the last sixty years or so but Gare was peerless in his description of games especially at Boghead during the glory and not so glorious years However in those days the local papers were still situated in Dumbarton and had not been outsourced to far away places with strange sounding names. Maybe if Donald has a few bricks left over we could use them to build a wall round the town before absolutely everything is taken from Dumbarton.

#webuildwalkways

13 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

Don't know if picked up by anyone else. 

Season ticket  offer in march when no idea of which league we will be in. Added to very few home games in March /early April 

is there a cash flow issue and some hard readies needed?? 

To do our best at staying in this division, and to continue punching above our weight (remember), the club needs all the support and resources it can get. A great Advance Season Ticket offer for fans and money coming in at this stage for DFC benefits everyone. Let's get behind it! 

12 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

That thought had crossed my mind too.

Cash management is *always* tight at DFC, given how scarce our resources are. Having only one game in five at home is obviously part of that this time. TBH, I don't think many of us are aware of what a determined job the chairman and board do on finance in making sure we stay afloat.  Yes, there are many things we supporters want to change/improve going forward, but DFC has done incredibly well to stay at this level for so long and to avoid debt. Our commercial director, also the trust director, does a really great job for nowt, too. I may not be popular with some hardened cynics for saying all this, but it's true.

The Advanced Season Ticket offer is one way we can really get behind the team - and is one of a range of factors that can maximise our chance of staying in the Championship.

Cash management is *always* tight at DFC, given how scarce our resources are. Having only one game in five at home is obviously part of that this time. TBH, I don't think many of us are aware of what a determined job the chairman and board do on finance in making sure we stay afloat.  Yes, there are many things we supporters want to change/improve going forward, but DFC has done incredibly well to stay at this level for so long and to avoid debt. Our commercial director, also the trust director, does a really great job for nowt, too. I may not be popular with some hardened cynics for saying all this, but it's true.
The Advanced Season Ticket offer is one way we can really get behind the team - and is one of a range of factors that can maximise our chance of staying in the Championship.

I wasn't having a pop at anyone. I just couldn't remember us doing something on season tickets as early as this before. I'll be buying a couple regardless of which division we end up in and if paying early helps the club, that's fine by me.

31 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I wasn't having a pop at anyone. I just couldn't remember us doing something on season tickets as early as this before. I'll be buying a couple regardless of which division we end up in and if paying early helps the club, that's fine by me.

Great. Yup me too, re. tix. (Didn't mean to suggest that you were having pop!)