Sons' sorrow

35 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

"Greenmachine" still droning on about a nothing win over Clyde about six months on. I was worried that we were now a diddy club but the extent of his hard-on shows that it was the best day of his life. Fair play!

Clydebank easily beat Clyde. Clyde beat Alloa three times. Celtic hung on grimly to beat Alloa 2-1. Clydebank as such would easily defeat Celtic. Given Celtic and Dumbarton both narrowly beat Alloa at the Recs a contest between them would be too close to call. Welcome to Greenmachine's world. 

Here's a nice wee stats anomaly courtesy of the Sonsarchive and @microdave

Every single outfield player who featured for us yesterday has scored at least once this season. 14 players in total.

Last season (albeit in 22 games) we scored just 14 goals. And in previous seasons we've had regulars without goals to their name (Rico, Kyle Hutton, Cammy Ballantyne and, going further back, James Creaney, Paul Nugent, Michael Dickie and so on). So I'm guessing, although can't say for certain, that that's possibly quite a rare thing to happen?

Edited by Jan Vojáček

18 hours ago, FifeSons said:

B2B185CC-E745-4E10-BA7E-B14078B17B87.jpeg.009cba9f09f99ffb5719bc5bedc8534e.jpeg

It really is something special just how honking our home form’s been. 2 wins in 17. It’s a wonder we are even scraping the crowds we get.

We’ve barely averaged a goal a game, too. Even more embarrassing is East Fife only managing 15 - and 4 of those coming against us!

That is a shocker!

Here's a nice wee stats anomaly courtesy of the Sonsarchive and [mention=6034]microdave[/mention]
Every single outfield player who featured for us yesterday has scored at least once this season. 14 players in total.
Last season (albeit in 22 games) we scored just 14 goals. And in previous seasons we've had regulars without goals to their name (Rico, Kyle Hutton, Cammy Ballantyne and, going further back, James Creaney, Paul Nugent, Michael Dickie and so on). So I'm guessing, although can't say for certain, that that's possibly quite a rare thing to happen?
I've had a look back to 1965/66 when substitutes started being allowed and I can't find any instances of it happening. There have been a few times where all but one outfield player have scored. The non scoring culprits were Billy Melvin (97/98), Craig Brittain (02/03), Keiran Brannan (09/10) and Paul McGinn (13/14). Of course yesterday wouldn't be unique if McGinn had scored that chance at Pittodrie.

Something I noticed when I was looking all that up is that in the title winning season 71/72, only ten players scored in the whole season but managed 103 goals between them. Going back that number of goals from now takes us to a 2-2 draw against East Fife on 21st September 2019.
On a completely different and happier theme, how many did we take down to the New Saints game and how many did we take to the final at Perth?

Any estimates?
About 4/500 to Oswestry and 2500 to Perth.

At what point do we think Stevie Farrell would actually get the sack?

I think most would agree relegation wouldn’t do it. Would a poor start next season in L2 be enough? Or would it take the threat of the SPFL trapdoor playoff? Or would even that do it?

Edited by FifeSons

I don't see why relegation wouldn't do it. He admitted himself that his remit was to stay in the division and that he might only have a month left in the job at the Q&A, so he obviously feels pressure right now. Relegation this season is a terrible mark on anyones CV. That Clyde team finishing comfortably mid table is a marker of just how poor the fare is this year. With even the slightest bit of organisation we should've pissed it to safety, but we've been a shambles at the back all season and the lack of confidence throughout the team is another sign of us being poorly managed.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I don't see why relegation wouldn't do it. He admitted himself that his remit was to stay in the division and that he might only have a month left in the job at the Q&A, so he obviously feels pressure right now. Relegation this season is a terrible mark on anyones CV. That Clyde team finishing comfortably mid table is a marker of just how poor the fare is this year. With even the slightest bit of organisation we should've pissed it to safety, but we've been a shambles at the back all season and the lack of confidence throughout the team is another sign of us being poorly managed.

We are also a shambles in the boardroom, and I doubt Farrell's position is even being considered.

10 minutes ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

We are also a shambles in the boardroom, and I doubt Farrell's position is even being considered.

Agree we're a shambles but I think you'd need to be clinically insane not to consider the managers position right now. 

49 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Agree we're a shambles but I think you'd need to be clinically insane not to consider the managers position right now. 

The manager's job should be under consideration as soon as the play-offs are over. Regardless of whether or not we stay up. Get the play-offs out the way and if we're recruiting then we know what league we'll be playing in. That will dictate the candidates we'd be likely to attract.

Manager is only one part of our current problems though. I'm more concerned by our lack of leadership at board level and our fantasist owners. There's a massive disconnect between the supporters, the club board and the ownership. If we don't address that then I can see us losing more fans regardless of what league we're playing in next season because fans don't like being taken for mugs. They don't like  the lack of engagement, the constant negativity about our future and the woeful fare we've been served this season.

Could our fans pick the chairman out in a line-up? What are his views on this season? On the football? On the More Rooms/4 Architects sponsorship fiasco? On the continued uncertainty over our owners and their plans for the club? There's a far bigger problem at Dumbarton than whether or not Farrell is relegating us this season. Relegation would be bad. Staying up is no endorsement of Farrell as our manager. Either way, next season's league probably isnt even in our top 3 problems right now.

11 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Every time I quote this figure to people, it grows exponentially.

Thanks to you and Microdave.

I asked because I heard Arbroath think they will take 2000 to Rugby Park on Friday. This is what success brings. Real shame we are in this mess.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I’m not convinced that relegation will lead to him being sacked. By all accounts the board have just allowed him to offer a years contract extension to a player who has already spent the entire season out injured and is already signed up for next year. There’s nothing official on that yet but if the player himself is telling folk that then I’d imagine it must be true. If the board had any intention of getting rid of him it would seem odd to sanction that sort of thing, althought nothing would surprise me with this mob. 

I’m about 90% convinced Farrell will remain regardless of the outcome of the playoffs. 

I reckon they'll go the same route as Aitken. We'll get relegated and then he'll nearly relegate us again before they get their fingers out of their arses and bag him.

Fingers crossed they see that Faz isn't cut out for this game and they'll bag him after the playoffs whatever way it goes.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Given that next season’s league could lead to a one way ticket out of the SPFL then I’d probably rate that problem pretty high. 

Which won't matter much if our owners don't maintain whatever borrowing terms they have with Pendragon. They've essentially mortgaged the club to it's eyeballs. The securities granted on club assets are essentially at massive risk and entirely dependent on the ability of Andy Hosie and Henning Kristofferson to pay their debts.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

22 hours ago, Greenmachine said:

To finish below Clyde is some achievement!

Seen them against Clydebank and they were utterly hopeless.Never even managed an attempt on target the whole game and should have lost 4 or 5.

Are you still going on about that game, ffs, it was our worst performance in years but just you carry on judging from a solitary 90mins.

22 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It's even more of an achievement given Clyde have take one point from their three games against us this year. Conceding seven along the way. East Fife have taken six points from us and Peterhead 10. So Clyde have had to pick up some cracking results against the top four to pull such a distance on us.

Beat Cove, beat Montrose and 2 draws, drew with Airdrie twice, 3 draws against QP, 9 pts from Alloa and 10 from EF. We have been rotten against you twice at Broadwood, our defence both games were shocking. Ballatoni must have been at fault for at least 3 or 4 of those goals, thankfully he got chased. We have had a very poor season and hard to watch at times mainly due to bad recruitment last summer. Danny has worked a miracle getting as much out of a very limited side (ability wise). Roll on next season, hopefully with a better squad and a clear out of those not good enough, it will need to be with Q.o.s and Kelty joining us next season.

22 hours ago, Waspie said:

Clydebank easily beat Clyde. Clyde beat Alloa three times. Celtic hung on grimly to beat Alloa 2-1. Clydebank as such would easily defeat Celtic. Given Celtic and Dumbarton both narrowly beat Alloa at the Recs a contest between them would be too close to call. Welcome to Greenmachine's world. 

Alloa were  just a bunch of cloggers.

Edited by Greenmachine