Sons' sorrow

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. His last loan spell was an absolute disaster and he turned in one the single worst, lazy and uninterested displays I’ve ever witnessed in a Sons shirt. The last thing we need is someone who is injury prone and hugely inconsistent, especially if we are only going into this season with 2 strikers. Duffy managed to squeeze a wee bit of good out of him at times during his first spell but I don’t think it was an easy job.

Aye Duffy took him out for individual one to one sessions both times he was with us. Can't see the current set up doing that with him.

A no from me as well.

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

As I said before, on paper this team should be title challengers. It has some big names that will be on good money. The expectations set for the manager should be to win the league. Anything less than challenging from the off should have him gone. I’d like to think most of us would agree on that.

However, I have some big concerns about a lot of those big names on good money. You’ve got some who’s form seems to have deserted them (Carswell, Buchanan), the question whether McGeever will be the same player post-injury, and then a few that the manager seems to not fancy or doesn’t know how to use (C. Wilson, McKee). Not to mention, Wallace, who on paper also sounds good, but undoubtedly has question marks about whether he’s the same player he was at Stranraer and Arbroath.

I think I’ve safely banged the drum on the manager to death and then some. I fully expect this season to just be more of the same as we saw last season and don’t believe he’ll have us anywhere near challenging for the title. However, there’s obviously no option now but to give him the first quarter. 

I wasn't massively impressed with Wallace at Stranraer either, was quite surprised that Arbroath paid a fee for him.

9 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

In the past 8 seasons we've had 1 that we've finished with more than 40 points. Call it blind hope or desperation but hopefully we can improve that stat a bit 

I'd just like to see a positive goal difference at the end of a season.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

If we're offering Layne the chance to train with us in the hope he'll pick up a contract in the Lowland or WoS leagues then fine. I we're actually considering signing him then its a  terrible move.

After Boyle getting offered a deal after the season he had I'm always going to worry about Faz's judgement now.

1 hour ago, sarti pooh said:

After Boyle getting offered a deal after the season he had I'm always going to worry about Faz's judgement now.

On the other hand it would not be the first time that someone was made an offer that they can refuse.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

54 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I now have it on reliable authority that whilst it was indeed Isaac Layne in the picture yesterday, he is being offered training facilities but will not be a member of the squad.

I have heard similar but I still have the fear we’ll end up offering him something. Farrell didn’t sound overly confident about landing another striker so he might be a last resort shot if he’s fit enough. He only played a handful of times for Stranraer so I wouldn’t imagine him and Farrell are best of mates, I reckon Farrell is wanting to have a look at him and will take a punt if he can prove his fitness. Hopefully I’m wrong!

19 hours ago, Moonball said:

I wasn't massively impressed with Wallace at Stranraer either, was quite surprised that Arbroath paid a fee for him.

It must be said that he did play a big part of our league winning season. I used to stick up for him all the time and liken him to Stevie Naismith, a lot of people didn’t like him because he was a greeting faced wee knob but he was our greeting faced wee knob and he worked well upfront with Michael McKenna.

McKenna done all the running and getting in behind and Wallace was always good at using his arse, taking the ball in and creating stuff in final third. 

He was really quite good for us as a player in terms of what he did footballing wise but he still managed to split the support and was quite disliked by some which says a lot 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It must be said that he did play a big part of our league winning season. I used to stick up for him all the time and liken him to Stevie Naismith, a lot of people didn’t like him because he was a greeting faced wee knob but he was our greeting faced wee knob and he worked well upfront with Michael McKenna.

McKenna done all the running and getting in behind and Wallace was always good at using his arse, taking the ball in and creating stuff in final third. 

He was really quite good for us as a player in terms of what he did footballing wise but he still managed to split the support and was quite disliked by some which says a lot 

Football fans are complete weirdos sometimes. I’ve seen numerous players at Dumbarton over the years who have a certain aspect to their game they are really good at that benefits the team but they are criticised by some for not doing something else they aren’t so good at. Christ at one point Paddy Flannery was scoring 15-20 goals a season and we still had folk moaning about him on a weekly basis. 

The greeting and moaning makes him sound like Bobby Barr. I enjoyed him playing for us and it was mainly for him giving a bit of stick back to the crowd. Fans don't tend to like players doing that but I love it.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I have heard similar but I still have the fear we’ll end up offering him something. Farrell didn’t sound overly confident about landing another striker so he might be a last resort shot if he’s fit enough. He only played a handful of times for Stranraer so I wouldn’t imagine him and Farrell are best of mates, I reckon Farrell is wanting to have a look at him and will take a punt if he can prove his fitness. Hopefully I’m wrong!

What you describe would be an act of utter madness for a club desperate to sell season tickets and encourage people to come along to games.

19 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

What you describe would be an act of utter madness for a club desperate to sell season tickets and encourage people to come along to games.

Or it could be an act of a club who have sold f**k all season tickets and now need to pad out the squad with sex offender jobbers who haven't kicked a ball in a year because it's all they can afford.