Sons' sorrow

13 hours ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

I assume that Blair Malcom will replace Ryan Blair tomorrow both very similar players. Good news Orsi can get some game time aswell. Going by the match preview I would assume jinky must be fit which is very good news. A player who has really impressed so far

It's a pest having Blair and Carlo out. But I suspect both would've been benched anyway in Faz's quest to spell the squad as best as he could over the duration of the cup.

Malcolm in for Blair and Kalvin in for Carlo would seem like fairly natural changes to make. I'm in the same camp as you with Jinky too, I'd like to see what he could do against a club at our level today. 

Decent half all things considered. Just cant put it in the back of the net, bonnyrigg being limited to maybe 1 or 2 chances?

Bit of a concern about the amount of players out, hopefully some arent long term and are back in time for the league business.

Even with the lack of players, some players obviously tired/struggling, we haven't been too bad.

Blair and Div Wilson dying on their feet after about 65 minutes with no subs available killed us off there. Well. A mixture of that and our inability to stick the ball in the net.

Watch us miss all our penalties now.

Enjoyed watching that today, something I’ve not been able to say for a long time - kudos to Faz for changing it up.

We done everything but score today. A wee bit more willingness to attack crosses and a wee bit more composure in and around the box needed and we win that game 5-0.

Midfield tiring in the second half allowed Bonnyrigg to come into the game. Relentless pressing fell on its arse when Wallace, Wilson and Blair started to look leggy and we stopped scooping up all the scrappy 2nd balls.

First time I’ve seen us this season. Impressed with Ruth’s energy, he looks like he just needs a bit of belief in front of goal. Grieg Young had an impressive first half, maybe let a bit of naivety creep into his game second half but encouraged by his performance. Durnan and Crighton look as solid a pairing I’ve seen for Sons in a few years as well.

Some positives. Some negatives.

We looked good with the ball on the deck. Passing and movement was really good at times and we've got players who can come in and do well with that style of play. Really good to see us trying to play football.

On the negative side? Our final ball into the box wasn't good enough on too many occasions. We didnt really trouble the Bonnyrigg keeper in the first half. But again we'll probably improve for Orsi being back in the line up. 

I thought we looked the more technically competent team and at times played some nice stuff. Very encouraging to see us actually trying to play. Bonnyrigg looked really poor for a lot of the game, but it has to be a bit concerning that they had a few breaks and one on one situations where they made us uncomfortable.

Certainly reasons to be cheerful.

I thought we were excellent for the first half hour but badly tired, unsurprisingly. We're in really bad shape injury wise, I can only hope a couple of guys have been rested when they maybe could've filled in today but if all guys currently out are injured for any length of time we may need a different style at the start of the season, you can't play this way with no legs or energy in the team.

Plenty positives to take today, Ruth was very good and a goal isn't far away for him. The runs from midfield, Ruth dropping deep and Ross McLean out wide was causing problems, as was Lynas at right back who looks a free man fown that right side now. Durnan looks like he'll piss this level too. 

The negatives were all down to our energy (and Gregg Wylde) so I'm not going to spend any time going over it. With a full squad we'll be a tough team to beat. 

31 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Why was Blair Malcolm absent today ?

He mentioned on the commentary that he still has 1 more game suspension to serve. Im sure he got a red card in the play off final for Albion Rovers so assume that was something to do with it. But does the same apply for Orsi? He was initially named on the bench today but then wasn't in the end.

ETA: reading Jan's post above, perhaps the suspensions don't count in this competition?

Edited by squeezebox-son

10 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

He mentioned on the commentary that he still has 1 more game suspension to serve. Im sure he got a red card in the play off final for Albion Rovers so assume that was something to do with it. But does the same apply for Orsi? He was initially named on the bench today but then wasn't in the end.

ETA: reading Jan's post above, perhaps the suspensions don't count in this competition?

Orsi's ankle was heavily strapped and he never even bothered warming up. 

We really need this Dundee game like a hole in the head and it's to be hoped there are no more injuries picked up.  Hilton and Pignatiello should be back fairly soon but there are concerns over Callum Wilson, Byrne and now Orsi and Malcolm.  It could be some time before we get our best team on the park, and a decent bench to back it up.  Aron Lynas also looked to be limping at time up.

The injuries are bit of a worry but as long as they clear up before the real stuff starts then I’m not overly concerned. I just hope the lack of game time doesn’t impact their match sharpness.

Today was the first time I’ve witnessed us in the flesh since the new guys came in and I was impressed. I thought we were excellent in the 1st half but as soon as the 2nd half kicked off I could tell there were some tired legs out there and we just didn’t have the options to freshen things up. In the first half Lynas put some cracking balls into the box but we just couldn’t seem to get on the end of anything. I was thoroughly impressed with Michael Ruth and I thought guys like Ryan Blair looked to have a new lease of life about them.

Plenty of positives out there for me today and watching a Sons team play with energy and a high press is a lovely change from some of the guff we’ve been served up over the last 4 or 5 years. I’m looking forward to seeing what this team can do when everyone is fit and raring to go!

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

26 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

It's a three match ban - two immediate and one league game. So he'll miss the Bonnyrigg season opener, but would've been eligible today if he was fit.

A daft rule if you ask me. But here we are.

Plenty of positives, and it's ok playing out from the back on our immaculate playing surface, but we shouldn't be doing that away in places like Bonnyrigg as we don't have the players to do that at centre half. Just ask them to defend, not start the attacks. 

We looked good in the first half, but our lack of depth and fitness today really showed against a team we should've put away from our  amount of possession.

But tomorrow is another day.

Mon the Sons