Sons' sorrow

The OS seems to have lost it's historical bearings today, we played Carlisle Utd in a pre-season friendly in (I'm sure) 1971-72 at Boghead so they have been in Dumbarton before tonight. I think it finished 2-1 for Sons, and this game was the precursor to King Kenny Wilson moving to Brunton Park in September of that year to replace, unbelievably, one Stanley Bowles.

The OS seems to have lost it's historical bearings today, we played Carlisle Utd in a pre-season friendly in (I'm sure) 1971-72 at Boghead so they have been in Dumbarton before tonight. I think it finished 2-1 for Sons, and this game was the precursor to King Kenny Wilson moving to Brunton Park in September of that year to replace, unbelievably, one Stanley Bowles.

It was !972/73 and Sons won 3-2. Just before we played Hearts in the League cup section match

I wrote aboot it here http://bigrab.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/helicopters-foxes-terracing-and-the-faces-life-on-mars-or-in-carlisle/

Here we go again. Just back from my annual fortnight holiday in salcoats caravan park. It is sixty years this month since I first entered the hallowed ground at boghead. Things were bad at the time as the sons had just been relegated to division c. They finished joint bottom with Dundee united but had a worse goal.difference. they almost went bankrupt but just survived and no more. Good to see that sixty years later we are in such a strong position.

Kenny scored a cracker that night; his "twenty thousand pound goal." The rumour was that Carlisle upped their offer by that amount due to his stunning effort. It ended 3-2 for Sons and Carlisle had the best player I've ever seen play against us; the aforementioned Stanley Bowles.

Edited by rockson

93 minutes of my life I'm not going to get back...Coleman played well.

Aye.

That was pish.

Wee Gilhaney has got himself a cracking sun tan, David Dickinson style. :eek:

Coleman was good, Mair done ok, Carlisle were a fairly big, physical team, only when Kirkpatrick came on did we manage to get near the Carlisle 18yd box.

Young McCallum was lively, McDougall....well....he just flatters as usual

Carlisle were 6/4 to win this. Thought that was a ridiculous price but I've banned myself from gambling.

Considering we played a lot of our youths tonight, thats a cracking price, looked like Carlisle had a strong team on the pitch.

Out of interest, what level in the SPFL would people who were at the game see Carlisle at?

Higher end Championship to lower end Premiership probably.

The left back we had on was awful.

Agreed, did he find one of our men with a single pass?!