Sons' sorrow

The way I look at it Lumsdem could easily act as your sub keeper filling in on the bench every week and still playing youth football - unless the games now clash which I would be shocked with. This makes it all the more strange to sign two other goalkeepers when the intention was still to sign another one again. His testimonial should have had no bearing on his deal at all. If Ewings is an injury doubt punt him, don't offer him a deal.

The way I look at it Lumsdem could easily act as your sub keeper filling in on the bench every week and still playing youth football - unless the games now clash which I would be shocked with. This makes it all the more strange to sign two other goalkeepers when the intention was still to sign another one again. His testimonial should have had no bearing on his deal at all. If Ewings is an injury doubt punt him, don't offer him a deal.

Lumsden does look promising,but no experience which he would need for the amount of big games this year, just not ready

If he goes out and gets experience, I imagine chunk will be paid for by secondary club, if grindlay got injured 5 minutes into rangers game for example, he'd be a nervous wreck probably, and getting thumped could set him right back

Edited by optimistic

Why is our keeper signing policy enraging a cowden fan so much?

He's right though. We have our own youth system, it should be used. Rogers might turn out to be a better keeper than all of our currently signed ones but what's the point in having a youth system if we're going to take other youth players on loan before giving our own a chance? Put yourself in Lumsden's shoes and you would hardly be filled with confidence. That's one point, another would be why the f**k is Murray offering both keepers deals after he's told them that he's looking for a new number 1? I don't care if one of them is being paid in left over pies, or if one of them is due a testimonial, it's totally pointless.

Got to agree with CTID and Moonster on this one, 4 'keepers (admittedly one is only going to be the under 20s 'keeper, but still a first team squad member) is ludicrous no matter which way you cut it. If there's an injury worry about Ewings then stick Lumsden on the bench and Grindlay in goals as the u20's games are midweek. If neither Ewings or Grindlay are good enough then don't sign them. A strange situation we've found ourselves in.

From what Ive seen of Lumsden hes nowhere near good enough to be in the first team at the moment in my opinion. From what Ive heard Rodgers is really highly rated at Pittodrie and veiwed as a future first teamer up there. Saying that I do agree that having 4 keepers on the books is a bit much.

From what Ive seen of Lumsden hes nowhere near good enough to be in the first team at the moment in my opinion. From what Ive heard Rodgers is really highly rated at Pittodrie and veiwed as a future first teamer up there. Saying that I do agree that having 4 keepers on the books is a bit much.

I'd agree about Lumsden, I've never been convinced by him. He's still very light and a bit timid, could do with bulking up, but he's only a young lad still. Would be fine for sitting on the bench if we were a 'keeper short.

Lumsden can play for the under 20s.

Having 3 other goalkeepers competing for the first team jersey isn't overly excessive imo. The simple truth is it would be a bigger mistake to not bring in a fresh pair of hands, irrespective of how many goalies are already here.

Yes. Agree.

Possibly Sons' strongest squad in decades, we can attract SPL calibre players and guys who also have European experience,,,,,playing for us.

Amazing, considering where we were a few years back.

Who?

He's been with us for years and has signed first team contracts for 3 seasons now, if he's not good enough then let him go. Or are we just keeping him because we can be arsed finding another youth keeper? I would just rather see us utilising our own youth system, especially when we already have two players signed up for a position that only really requires two players with an emergency back up (the youth player). We boast about being the best part-time side in the country but Cowden have had far more success in the youth development of players on what I imagine are less resources than we have. The youth side has to be there to compliment the first team when needed and if we're keeping players on just to field a youth side then I don't think we're doing it right.

Full-time teams in this division won't have three full first team keepers, of course it's excessive for a part time side to have 4 signed up.

He's been with us for years and has signed first team contracts for 3 seasons now, if he's not good enough then let him go. Or are we just keeping him because we can be arsed finding another youth keeper? I would just rather see us utilising our own youth system, especially when we already have two players signed up for a position that only really requires two players with an emergency back up (the youth player). We boast about being the best part-time side in the country but Cowden have had far more success in the youth development of players on what I imagine are less resources than we have. The youth side has to be there to compliment the first team when needed and if we're keeping players on just to field a youth side then I don't think we're doing it right.

Full-time teams in this division won't have three full first team keepers, of course it's excessive for a part time side to have 4 signed up.

Totally agree, and for what it's worth I don't think the lad is good enough. I like a 'keeper to 'look' like a 'keeper and Josh doesn't do that. As regards the youth aspect, I'm getting the impression that Ian Murray doesn't feel obliged to show undue interest and tick boxes against a policy which was initiated long before his arrival; his philosophy seems to be one of fielding teams with experienced guys who've been over the course. If that maintains our current league status then it's hard to argue against.

Totally agree, and for what it's worth I don't think the lad is good enough. I like a 'keeper to 'look' like a 'keeper and Josh doesn't do that. As regards the youth aspect, I'm getting the impression that Ian Murray doesn't feel obliged to show undue interest and tick boxes against a policy which was initiated long before his arrival; his philosophy seems to be one of fielding teams with experienced guys who've been over the course. If that maintains our current league status then it's hard to argue against.

Fair point but for me, if we're not going to use our youth system, scrap it and save everyone the wasted time and money. Nicky Devlin has been the only worthwhile production of it.

I hope the lad Lumsden doesn't read what's said on here; being slated when he hasn't even played a competitive first team game is pretty harsh.

I'd suggest his manager completely overlooking him and signing 3 other goalkeepers to play in front of him (one being a youth from another side) will have more of an effect on him than a couple of fans saying they don't think he's good enough.