Sons' sorrow

37 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

If we're still in League 2 next season, with the same management team & Board, I sadly expect us to finish even lower down the League table.

Well it could be much worse than that.  Last season's and probably this one's finishing position will owe a great deal to a strong start.

If that isn't repeated then we could be in a dogfight from the word go, with all that could involve.  I'd like to think that the Board is also considering these possibilities and planning around them. 

14 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

The biggest club in West Dunbartonshire had 885 at their home  game v Auchinleck yesterday …..

Willing to bet that we'll have a bigger crowd than that for our next scheduled home game.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

Farrell seems to be untouchable at our Club, who does he answer to?

Would he have been summoned to the Boardroom last Monday morning after a poor display & the weird team selection v East Fife, the late collapse v Clyde?

Highly doubt it.

If we're still in League 2 next season, with the same management team & Board, I sadly expect us to finish even lower down the League table.

There's no accountability for him. The only interviews he has to do is with the club, and they're never going to ask him difficult questions. It would be a bit weird if they did tbh. It should be the board doing it. Maybe we're all massively mistaken and they do... Doesn't seem like it from the statements they've put out, though.

Edited by FifeSons

Dr Neil is the worst chairman I can remember at DFC. An invisible ghost of a guy who comes across as so passive it verges on him not giving a f**k. I don’t think he has the bollocks or the motivation to sack a manager thus creating him more work in terms of finding a replacement, not that I remotely trust him to organise finding a competent one given his backing of the current gaffer. I also don’t remotely trust him to manage the current ownership situation from the clubs perspective and I view him as a yes man for his fellow ghosty overlords. Lest we forget the utter drivel he put out about floodlights and GPS vests after a complete disaster of a season. Lest we forget the contract extension for Stevie Farrell for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Whilst the ownership situation is the biggest concern I view Mackay as a bigger problem than Stevie Farrell. He is the sole reason this pretender is even still involved with us and until he leaves I fully expect this bum of a manager to remain in place.

1 minute ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

A genuine question. It looks like Dumbarton have the biggest budget in the league (unless Peterhead are throwing stupid money at players again). 

If the absentee owners main goal is to asset strip/make money off the land, why do they continue to provide such a healthy budget for the level?

The owners provide us f**k all. The Dumbarton board set the budget based on whatever incoming money we have. The accounts are a shambles tbh, I've no idea how we have a competitive budget.

14 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

A genuine question. It looks like Dumbarton have the biggest budget in the league (unless Peterhead are throwing stupid money at players again). 

If the absentee owners main goal is to asset strip/make money off the land, why do they continue to provide such a healthy budget for the level?

I'm not convinced we have the biggest budget in the league. I do, however, believe that Farrell (as hopeless a manager as he is) is good when it comes to making signings. 

I'm sure we offered Gregor Buchanan a deal, but he chose to go to Stenny, for more money. I reckon Stenhousemuir and maybe Peterhead have a bit more to work with (maybe Clyde also?). Dumbarton as likely on a par with teams like Forfar and East Fife. That's just my guess though.

I do agree that, all players fit, we have the strongest starting 11. But we also have a hopeless manager who can't get the best out of them and who seems to only ever have 1 game plan and no plan B.

It's definitely a competitive/top 4 budget, that I doubt is miles behind anyone else, even if it's not actually the biggest. SF and some loonies in the support would claim it's one of the worst in the league and that we're overachieving. You can clearly see that's not the case with the some of the squad we have, that'll be on decent money.

Edited by FifeSons

1 minute ago, squeezebox-son said:

I'm sure we offered Gregor Buchanan a deal, but he chose to go to Stenny, for more money. I reckon Stenhousemuir and maybe Peterhead have a bit more to work with (maybe Clyde also?). Dumbarton as likely on a par with teams like Forfar and East Fife. That's just my guess though.

Buchanan was offered a 2 year deal plus the captaincy with us.

Dumbarton have slightly higher crowds than us but with our ability to hire the pitch out, that at least cancels that out.

We have an 18 man squad at present and may look to bring in a 19th. Dumbarton have a 25 man squad and outwith Vata and the reserve keeper are all senior pros commanding a decent wage. 

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Buchanan was offered a 2 year deal plus the captaincy with us.

Dumbarton have slightly higher crowds than us but with our ability to hire the pitch out, that at least cancels that out.

We have an 18 man squad at present and may look to bring in a 19th. Dumbarton have a 25 man squad and outwith Vata and the reserve keeper are all senior pros commanding a decent wage. 

The key point here may be the Boardrooms.  How many working Directors do Stenny have and do they include 'football people' ?

That may be a slightly rhetorical question because last season your club took a decision to replace your Manager with an experienced guy and you are now seeing the effect of that.  We've chosen the opposite path of extending the Manager's contract and we are also seeing the effect of that.  Different Boards, different decisions and very different outcomes.

As to the squad sizes, well Stenny have had great good fortune with injuries but that's hardly your fault.  What you maybe didn't do was sign players with a history of injuries and also carry over players with a history of injuries.  We've also had the misfortune of two long-term injuries to important players in the earlier part of this season, and all of this combined has left us struggling.  Such is fate, but decisions have a key bearing too.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

I'm not convinced we have the biggest budget in the league. I do, however, believe that Farrell (as hopeless a manager as he is) is good when it comes to making signings. 

Farrell seems to have suggested we have one of the lowest budgets but I don't really buy that based on the players we've signed. I doubt we're the biggest spenders either for what it's worth.

For your second point I agree completely, Long shouldn't really be at us for example, I always thought Tony Wallace would've had more options than us but he is the type of player that Faz has spoken about, a guy who just "gets it" at this level. We always seem to be able to attract players that seem like good additions to the squad but then after that is where the problems seem to happen. 

It's clear to me Farrell's day job definitely has it's uses in football, he seems to be able to bring good, or at least decent players to the club. He also managed to talk the board into not firing him but also giving him a new deal (says more about the board inability in my opinion but there's still a case there). I'm predicting he will be here at the end of the season but we can't keep going in this cycle of a good start, then collapse year after year. Unfortunately, I struggle to have faith that the board will take the action necessary.

Our budget is easily top 3 IMO and whilst Stenny trumped us when it came to Buchanan, lets not forget we done the same with Shiels. 

Long, Carlo, Durnan, Crighton, Shiels, Orsi, Hilton, R Wallace and Ruth will be on a decent wedge for this level. Even guys like MacLean, Blair, T Wallace and Gray wont be on peanuts. I’d imagine we’re also paying a portion of the new keepers wage.

If that isn’t the biggest budget in the division then it certainly isn’t a kick in the arse off it.

I have no idea what our budget is but I’m struggling to see how it can be one of the better ones. Our owners put nothing in. Every other club will have directors who contribute. We have no shirt sponsors. Every other club does. Our crowds are not the best in the division. So if our budget is in line with our income how can we be one of the highest?